The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Has anybody heard this version?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Has anybody heard this version?
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 13, 2019 05:39 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
All I previously heard was that this dentist was a monster for killing a favorite park lion.

Just ran across this, with no substantiation. Anybody know?

Good hunting. El Bee

"Leo the Lion. The media (and you know who you are) twisted and purposely left out important details on Leo. Then destroyed a man with their lies. The facts are (from a informed Wildlife Ranger in South Africa)....Leo was very old and head lion. He had stopped mating with the females, the pack was getting smaller. They made the decision to purchase a young male and two females. Leo attacked and killed all three. They then put together a Lottery whereby people from around the world could bid on hunting Leo and the proceeds would go to replenishing the park with a new lion. You know the rest."

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31470 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
earthwalker
Cultural Editor & middleweight arm wrestling champion/Intermountain Region
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted December 14, 2019 03:48 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Iv'e heard of it. Pretty big news when it happened. I believe he was a dentist from north Idaho (maybe?) and he did get death threats and had to go under cover for a while. The lion was called out of the park and shot legally but the lion was a favorite for tourists and so forth.
Kind of like the Idaho fish and game commissioner from Idaho who went over to Africa on a hunting trip then posted pics of shot baboons and giraffes. He got grilled and lost his position on the board. I don't understand this thing about having to tell the world about what you do?

--------------------
another long hot smoky summer coming

Posts: 1105 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 14, 2019 07:51 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, but what I was alluding to is that the park people planned and orchestrated "offing" their popular attraction, Leo the Lion. And, they had justification. That never came out, all we ever heard was how cruel it was to kill the magnificent beast. It's all spin control.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted December 15, 2019 11:58 AM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
The American public has no capacity for thinking beyond their own personal subjective experience. When we hear stories about this lion and other so-called "trophies", the media fails to mention that the system under which animals are taken in places like Africa or Europe is vastly different than ours.

For instance, in much of Europe, each estate employs a gamekeeper - what we call a wildlife biologist - part of whose job is to maintain a relatively accurate census of the actual numbers of various species of game animals on their estate, such as Roe deer, Red deer, etc. Each year, those figures are reported and the government levees a tax on the state for each animal found thereon and those animals are regarded as the property of the estate owner.

At the other end of the equation, the meat from those animals is sold on the market. In the marketplace, prices for that meat are generally tied to the taxes paid, and an estate owner tasks the gamekeeper with the job of determining how much will be paid in taxes for on the hoof critters, and how much each animal will bring in at market, so the gamekeeper's job is to calculate how many animals need to be whacked to cover the taxes. To a certain extent, there are considerations as to sound wildlife management principals, but this simple value vs cost assessment is a strong determining factor.

When you hunt there, as one example, you don't just go out and smoke the biggest, most impressive buck or bull you see. Rather, the gamekeeper pre-determines which animals will be culled and those are the ones they direct you to during your hunt. And, much of that decision is based upon future reproductive potential. Thus, an old animal who is past its prime, or an animal with misshapen antlers if often high on the list.

Pretty much every hunt would be considered a "management hunt" here in the states. Not much difference than hunting under the watchful eye of a professional hunter/ guide in Africa. Especially when you realize that the proceeds from one single magnificent trophy class animal in Africa may easily eclipse the forecasted revenue from future offspring generated from an old lion whose circling the drain anyway.

Some folks who are all for the American system of managing big game lose their shit over African trophy hunts not realizing that in many of those countries, the management structure is much more controlled and regulated as to which animals are taken than is the case here where biologists work with only the number of individuals taken from a population without regard to their possible "fair market value".

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 15, 2019 02:57 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
My exposure is rather limited. I have seen the concessions in Kruger National Park and they offer a considerable amount of game meat at their restaurants, within the Park boundaries. And that park is a big place, far larger than any American National Park, something like 300 miles long by maybe 50 miles wide, or so? It was surprising the popularity of the various game meat available. I met and hunted with one guy that was supplying carcasses to the concessions.

As far as Europe, the number of animals available in Guesthouses is limited to deer and boar and hare, also some fowl. But, it is widely available in just about any restaurant. Of course, in Germany, they are big on schnitchel, which is a breaded veal cutlet, usually deep fried and makes an excellent sandwich on a roll. Over here, they think it's a Weiner but it's not, as in Der Weinersnitchel restaurant where they sell a Krautdog and other stuff, I guess, but I don't eat there so not sure? In fact, veal is very maligned just about everywhere in the US, you can hardly find it?

One thing I noticed at Cabela's is that they do sell some game meat like elk and venison. Never tried it. I'm not sure if BassProshops do the same, but they do have restaurants.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted December 16, 2019 02:46 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Veal is the meat of young animals fed nothing but mothers milk and kept from sunlight to keep the meat from getting red with Iron the practice may be a bit cruel but damn its delicious !

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 16, 2019 11:54 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, yeah, I understand exactly what you wrote. I can't say I ever consumed a great deal of Veal, maybe in the Italian dish, Veal Ptarmingan? Boy, I really slaughtered that one, spelling wise!

But, here's the thing. None of those cows would ever be born except for our need of dairy products. None of that beef cattle would have been raise, except to be butchered for the market. And, none of those chickens would have been hatched except people like their bacon and eggs, and that's why they raise the little piglets, as well.

It's also why we plant corn, etc. It's all about consumption. There are little twits that bitch about the cruelty of animal farms but as long as people still want their bacon and eggs, they won't get anywhere. Not so much with the baby calfs, they are cute and innocent and the bunnyhuggers have made a lot of progress towards stigmatizing veal. People are just idiots and love to be controlled and herded and told what to think and what to believe. 1984 Eat your Soylent Green crackers and shut up!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters