The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Non velvet deer season

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Non velvet deer season
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted October 14, 2019 04:31 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Opens again in Dec I went out to tune up I cannot draw my bow , so depressed , I don't know what to do . I guess I can work on building my muscle groups but lately exercise seems to break me down not build me up. Thank god I can still run a chainsaw shits getting scary ! Guess I'm just too damn old !

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 14, 2019 05:54 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think it's the end of the world. I've never owned a bow, but I think I could be half way decent shot with a long bow, if I tried. I base this on my gold medal from Club Med. Seriously, it's interesting, but I never quite got the bug. Somebody told me once that the average archery affectionado is only about 5 years. In my club, we had a group of guys that shot every week at a range in San Dimas and these guys were no slouches....I'm told!

You could always try one of those crossbows?

Yeah, with me, I tend to be a plunger, next thing you know, I would be up to my eyeballs in archery shit and looking to show ko ko how it's done! (just kidding?) I'm not minimizing his interests and talents, in any way, what so ever. I know he's for real.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31471 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted October 14, 2019 06:43 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
KoKo is the real deal pulled a string with him more than once . KOKO I have a 1974 Bear Kodiak that I will never draw again would you like it! If so its yours ! 55 #

--------------------

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted October 14, 2019 06:47 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard !

for a bow hunter no explanation is necessary for a non bow hunter no explanation is possible !

--------------------

Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted October 14, 2019 05:35 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Shooting long guns has taught me a lot. For instance, I'm right handed, but left eye dominant. So, I shoot rifles left-handed and always have. Some years ago, I suddenly realized the impact of this disparity. I can't shoot a basketball for shit because I "aim" with my right eye. Same for shooting pool. Try as I may, I just can't do those things left-handed, so I just quit trying. Nowadays, I do all my handgun shooting right-handed, but cross over to aim with my left eye. Took a bit to get used to that but I did.

Kansas okayed Xbows several years back specifically for disabled and older archers who still wanted to use archery equipment in the early bow season and you had to submit a dr's note before you would get your permit. Pretty much anyone can use them now, and the traditionalists lose their shit every year.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted October 15, 2019 03:23 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
That's quite an accomplishment Lance don't know if I would have discipline to do that . I'm going to keep working to draw my compound but will never again be able e to shoot with the recurve when I was healthy it was bitch to pull. I draw the line at crossbows not my cup of tea !

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 15, 2019 09:54 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I certainly understand the "cup of tea" angle. But, for some people, it does provide the essence, kinda, sorta.

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted October 15, 2019 05:16 PM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
May seem like a dumb question, but I'm curious what a non-velvet deer season is?

Especially considering the month of December, what "normal" antlered deer would have velvet that late in the year?

Thanks.

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted October 15, 2019 05:57 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't wait to see what kind of response you get.

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted October 15, 2019 06:23 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Good to see ya Lonny.

I'm not a deer hunter. Never had any interest for some reason ?

I've seen velvet covered bucks this time of year or a "tad" earlier in the "high desert" of Oregon.

Kinda figured the bucks were "horny" that time of year ?

I'm clueless & really don't care, yet interested [Smile]

Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted October 16, 2019 03:07 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Lonny our archery dear season starts in august all the bucks are in velvet. I am probably the only one that refers to it that way I want to see hard and shiny headgear ! sorry for the confusion !

And Dave you crack me up ! funny shit !

[ October 16, 2019, 03:09 AM: Message edited by: Paul Melching ]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 16, 2019 06:32 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
That's our Dave! Goat Leader cracking everybody up!

I'm starting to worry about Q! Did Hillary get to him?
(just nod your head)

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted October 16, 2019 07:11 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm back !!!!
Thanx El Bee !!!
( 'puter problems)

Paul;
Yeah, I'd like to take a look at the Bear bow. I have a 47# Browning Explorer that you may be able to shoot.
In the mean-time........ you probably can crank your wheel bow out about two full turns to where you can shoot it. Upper and lower limbs the same amount. A long handle Allen wrench makes it easier. Arrow flight probably won't be great but it's more about getting into shooting form again while building strength. As you feel comfortable, crank the limbs down a quarter of a turn about once a week or so. Slow & steady....... avoid injury.

Good luck !!!!!

BTW; My evil daughter used to refer to bucks in velvet as being 'in fuzz'. Used to crack me up. [Smile]

[ October 16, 2019, 07:12 AM: Message edited by: Kokopelli ]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7584 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 16, 2019 02:04 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Who wants to "decode" ko ko's subliminal message?

Start from the middle and work your under wear! What's this man trying to say? (gettin' past the censor)

quote:
BTW; My evil daughter used to refer to bu!b cks in velvet as being 'in fuzz'. Used to crack me up. [Smile]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted October 16, 2019 05:15 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Q~ and sites associated with {them} have been offline since Aug 1st or 2nd ?

This is the longest ever.

I'm still onboard. We shall see.

I've hunted coyotes in the high country this time of year & smell piss from bucks & bulls.

I have no idea why people are interested in them ?

Coyotes are way so much more fun !!

Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted October 16, 2019 07:43 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Paul;
I tend to feel the same way about xbows in general but they do have their place.
A friend of mine, preparing for geezerhood got the G&F form and had his Dr. sign off on it. He plans on staying in the game as long as is possible.
Anyway ................ long story less long, he tested a few xbow designs, settled on the recurve xbow and passed a couple of the compound xbows on to me.
Should you ever decide to blur the line on xbows let me know & you can have one of mine. Might be a kick to try & get a coyote with one.
Beats not getting out.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7584 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted October 17, 2019 02:44 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
KOKO
I am aware of all adjustments on my bow now have it down to approx 45# it is adjustable up to 70# Just gonna take some time I'm working on it got too busy and let the bow sit too long my own damn fault. I have a lot to do and not a lot of energy to do it have to move slower and for less hours than I used to!

The Kodiak is a beautiful little bow !

--------------------

Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted October 17, 2019 04:32 AM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the explanation Paul.
Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted October 17, 2019 06:55 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Most Bear bows are.
If I could find a 60# Tamerlane, HC-30 or HC300 I'd be on it like a goose on a June Bug.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 17, 2019 07:11 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Of course, I can understand a "purist" and his attitude towards crossbows, especially those that distain the bow with the wheels and cams. Then, I guess I could see a distinction between a Long Bow and a Recurve, and which is more true. Maybe I could relate that in coyote rifle terms, such as a 17 Predator and a AR15 chambered in 223. Six of one, and a half a dozen of the other, I guess? When did they decide to call the "projectile" an arrow instead of a bolt?

There was a time when I was contemplating sneaking into a preserve to help a neighbor that had serious coyote problems, and I thought the solution wasn't a firearm but a crossbow because of the noise factor. Never came to anything, but it is one of those situations where certain devices have their place.

Higgins carved his own 100# bow and I tried it one time. Didn't seem all that tough, but I wouldn't want to hold it for any length of time; in fact, impossible. Of course, that was then....

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: I'm trying to understand the drift in the conversation. What I get out of it, maybe because of the introduction of compound bows, is that there must have been a "Golden Age" of custom made bows and I guess it is understood that they are primarily of the recurve design. So, I guess it's like, they don't, or can't make them like that any more? Is the market for custom recurves such that nobody could sell one for what they have invested in labor, or something? Therefore, all one can do is wait for one to turn up from grandpa's closet on ebay? Who knew?

But, I guess the experts have zero interest in advanced design, or will a nice recurve actually perform at the level of the latest compound? Maybe I'm missing something, and it's not performance, at all, it's esthetics? Come on, somebody "splain me"?

[ October 17, 2019, 07:26 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted October 17, 2019 11:36 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Ok ............ Lemme give this a try;

IN THE BEGINNING there was the English Longbow. It shot a heavy arrow and it, not gunpowder, put an end to the era of the mounted knight at battles such as Angincourt.
Contemporary to it was the Asiatic Composite Bow. It shot lighter, faster arrows for really noteworthy distances. The Crusaders got their asses handed to them courtesy of this bow a few times.
Enter fiberglass.
Modern material, modern glues and modern engineering peaked in the late '60s & early '70s. Coupled with the works of Jim Easton's aluminum arrows archery entered it's Golden Age and produced some truely classic bows combining performance and beautiful lines.
Then came the Compound bow invented by Allen and promoted by Jennings. Butt ugly and pound for pound no faster than quality recurves. But they had the 'let-off'. A 60# compound would have about a 45# holding weight and they soon became all the rage. Constant improvements made them faster and quieter. Traditional recurves and longbows became something rarely seen.
Eventually, the compound bow evolved past the point of the challenge that attracted many of us to archery in the first place. We returned to the single string and shooting was fun again. At the same time modern bowers were developing bows with carbon foam core limbs, computer designed reflex/deflex risers, fast-flight strings & carbon arrows for the Traditional Purist. Some of these bows are flat out shit-hot, look really good and can set you back a house payment or two.
Then there are the 'classic' bows that can still be found with a bit of digging on eBay and such sites.
Like a classic car or an old pick-up truck, there's just something about 'em.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 17, 2019 05:17 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you. It's about as I figured.

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters