The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Going out with a BOOM!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Going out with a BOOM!
earthwalker
Cultural Editor & middleweight arm wrestling champion/Intermountain Region
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted September 06, 2019 04:34 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Had a dandy of a storm come in last night.
Good wind and dust at first. A lot of lightning. Had one grass fire down across from the lookout on the flats. Called the head RFPA guy went to voice mail. Then the rains hit and it was out.
Had some wicked down strikes. But got .28 of rain in 20 minutes.
Finally after all summer the night dispatcher called me at 0200 about a fire that was being turned in over and over.
I got up and told her yep it's there came upstairs ran the azimuth as close as I could and got it right. It totally blew her out of the water that I could actually see it and hit the mark so to speak.
It's still glowing away this morning but can see the outline of the ridge line now so it's a lot easier to figure out the landmarks. When it get lighter and I can see the alidade I get a good map reading.

What a way to end a career!! YAHOOOO!!!!

--------------------
another long hot smoky summer coming

Posts: 1105 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted September 06, 2019 08:21 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Round 2 is already coming in this morning.
Lightning and thunder and rain.
Temps have cooled a lot 58* this morning. Valley hit 97 yesterday. It was a terrible buggy hot yucky day yesterday.

A lot of storm from Nevada coming up into the valley. Going to be a long day with jumping off and on the computer. For some weird reason computers and lightning don't mix. LOL [Big Grin]

Had a couple fires from last night one rained out and one still going from the 0200 fire call. Fun times!!

--------------------

earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted September 06, 2019 08:31 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
This storm that is coming right now is 130 miles long and 30 miles wind. Wonderful beautiful wetting rain for the fall season.
58* might have to turn the heat on. (a lookout that has electrical heat). Says it's 69.8 degrees inside right now. Not use to it. [Razz]

--------------------

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted September 06, 2019 09:49 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Question; Would lightening trigger a trail camera pointed toward the sky ????

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7584 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 06, 2019 12:48 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
huh?

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31474 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted September 06, 2019 02:09 PM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen lightning turn off light sensors on street lights.
So why not?

--------------------

Locohead
World Famous Smoke Dancer
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted September 06, 2019 10:41 PM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats!! Seems like you are good at what you do...or did....or soon to be did!! Really interesting stuff. I think I need to see 360* from your perch. Sounds really cool - like being on top of the world!!

--------------------
I love my critters and chick!!!! :)

Posts: 2219 | From: CO | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 07, 2019 09:35 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
A really critical pice of information here, should have mentioned it before but ...

Whether it's lightning or just a power outage, my remote controlled ceiling fan in the staircase will tun on at max high speed and stay that way. Forever!

What to do? remove the 9v battery. Can't be too careful! Duh

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted September 09, 2019 05:25 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Question: Last night around midnight, I had just fallen asleep when lightning struck so close that it shook my bed. In the basement. Hardwood flooring on top of concrete. Is that close?

Poor Taz was in the dining room with Lisa. Said she jumped three feet straight up and damn near knocked herself out running into the wall underneath an antique rocker in the corner trying to find a hole.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted September 10, 2019 03:35 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
I have only been that close once, Many years ago hit my patio outside of a sliding glass door felt like a
bomb went off in the A.M. I found a softball sized hole of melted concrete.

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 10, 2019 07:20 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
If you are looking for a show, the best place I have found is around Sells. You can just watch the progress of lightning bolts mostly coming due north out of Sonora but sometimes from over the mountains in the direction of Sasabee. But, it's so cool, expect thunder and lightning, hail, lots of wind and dust, thunderstorms and just violent severe weather. It's pretty awesome. You want to stay out of low lying areas, of course, because you could get a flash flood, but the higher points are targets for the lightning so what do you do? I've personally never seen such violent weather anywhere else, and yet, I wouldn't call the dust devils anything like a tornado classification. Kansas can win this one, Lance.

I remember that time I got drenched just crossing the street, at this motel, and the other side was dry as a bone. Walked in the door dripping wet and my partner looked at me; like what the hell happened to you? Did you fall in the pool?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted September 11, 2019 02:34 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
I know exactly what you are saying Leonard I've been wet like that before 50 yards to shelter and soaked like I was swimming !

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters