The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Hunting mania (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Hunting mania
earthwalker
Cultural Editor & middleweight arm wrestling champion/Intermountain Region
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted August 29, 2019 02:17 PM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
starts tomorrow.
Bow season for some, back country tags and my favorite grouse season all starts tomorrow.

Seen a nice buck this morning. Taking a pee on the Forest Service lawn. Nice 4 point still in velvet. Only problem is he's the town pet and you'd be run out of town forever and banned from ever coming back to the area. LOL

--------------------
another long hot smoky summer coming

Posts: 1105 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted August 30, 2019 05:45 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Tis the season working to get my four wheeler running so I can get out there !

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 30, 2019 06:14 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh Dear! are you creating a picturesque junkyard out front, Reservation style?

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31459 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted August 31, 2019 04:18 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
That will never happen on my land I cant stand those people ! I am privileged to live in a beautiful place and it is my duty to keep it that way. I have chased down more than a few dumpers that think the National Forest is their trash can I let them get their truck empty before I make them reload it and take it elsewhere ! Never seen more terrified Meskins ! real fast on the reload to even maamasita is helping !

--------------------

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted August 31, 2019 06:30 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Paul …………. The next time our paths cross, the cost of the your beverage of choice is on me.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7579 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted September 01, 2019 03:59 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Mid 90's yesterday and the amount of bow/deer hunters was funny.
Nothing like hunting and sweating and having your meat par-broiled by the time you get it skinned.

When it's this hot all you do is spin your wheels and fight the yellow-jackets and they seem to be on the fight this year. At least they are at the lookout.

Also the flying ants won't quit peaking. They swarm on peaks don't know why. Yesterday the other half was complaining big time and he had the little black ones that fall on you when you go outside and they bite big time. And hurt.

--------------------

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted September 01, 2019 05:33 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
The area where I hunt deer actually has very few hunters. What there is plenty of though, is clods idleing up and down the Forest Service roads and around the barricades on two-tracks; one guy driving and everybody else holding a bow with an arrow nocked.
Our public image is being destroyed. As one gentleman I spoke to in a campground observed, "You guys don't want to hunt...… You just want to kill something."
If this is how we are seen by the voting public, the day will come when we get our asses handed to us at the ballot box.

End of rant. [Mad]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7579 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 01, 2019 08:00 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
You said a mouthful, ko ko! That's a new one on me, archery road hunters!

But, with the rifles, during the rut, at least, they kill deer. But, upon reflection, I have to say, my motives are possibly more pure than theirs. But, if that's how they want to do it is it up to me to question their behavior? Some people do this justification routine, it's okay if you eat what you kill. Well, I'm not much of a meat hunter, I trend towards trophy rather than stocking my freezer. My business, right?

Everybody has their reasons, even those of us that hunt with those cute little subcalibers. <wink>

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted September 01, 2019 08:21 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Started seeing archery road hunters over 25 or more years ago in the Owyhee on South Mtn., lookout. It was a great spot on the lookout to sit and watch it idiots drive by the deer never seeing anything.

Yep, no one hunts it's to see how fast they can get ahead of you and scare the game or blow it out in all directions. It's very sad indeed.

Seen a great bull elk the other morning in the neighbors field. LOL
Other half said there were several trucks in the WMA down from our place didn't see one deer in the WMA but seen a lot in the fields above it.

--------------------

Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted September 02, 2019 05:08 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Where I live we have Mulies not gonna even see one from a vehicle. I use an atv cuz I'm already here don't have to drive to get here less impact on my forest. Its v-twin 650 capable of 73 mph You will find me at 16 mph most days unless its getting dark and I'm heading home at 24 mph. I need the power for work on the place ,the speed limit in Arizona on any dirt road is 25 unless otherwise posted ! People that road hunt are just lazy assholes looking for an excuse to drink beer .I don't need an excuse I just put the weapons away and have a beer !
Happy labor day all !

[ September 02, 2019, 05:10 AM: Message edited by: Paul Melching ]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 02, 2019 05:59 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I never knew that about the dirt road speed limit? I'll never exceed it, that's for sure, it's the road hunter in me.

You know that BS about how you have to drive your pea cup @50 MPH to conquer the ruts? I always think, Yeah right, asshole! How did those washboard roads get in that condition in the first place?

We could go on all day! Like the ones with the huge tires that like to get out after a good soaking and tear up the road, mud rooster tails, yuck yuck!

ko ko, did you know that Safford was the Gov of AZ back around the Civil War? See, we learned TWO things this morning! Now where's Victor?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted September 02, 2019 07:17 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
GASP !!!!
You mean to tell me that Safford's NOT the Capitol City anymore ????
Whatever you do, don't tell Drew John; it would break his heart. [Eek!]

--------------------

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted September 02, 2019 07:26 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Ok; misunderstood.
He was the third Governor of Arizona.

Funny thing; rumor has it that Safford, Thatcher and Pima were all founded by the same Mormon who had three wives that didn't get along. Had to be kept a bit of a buggy ride apart for the sake of marital bliss. Don't know if it's true or not but the old Mormons do tell a good tale. [Smile]

--------------------

Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted September 02, 2019 09:44 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
The washboards tell a lot about the spring rate of the average vehicle !

--------------------

Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted September 02, 2019 09:50 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
My Hero Victor is probably hunting Permit , Tarpon and Bone fish with a .19 Calhoun ! And Giving Dorian the finger !

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 02, 2019 10:49 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
He better have something really important. going on! Something a little more pressing than rearranging his sock drawer!

And, wait a minute! He's been my hero a lot longer than he has been yours! And, before that we used to argue all the time even before the Shade Tree. And, that Shadetree ronde was 20 years ago at Bruce Kennedy's place. I've got the time in grade, as we term it in the Brown Boot Army.

One more time: EARTH TO VICTOR....OVER!

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted September 02, 2019 02:45 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
And another thing; Where's that guy from back East, the Texan ????

[Confused]

--------------------

Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted September 03, 2019 05:02 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
I hear ya on the flies. EW.

Just plain stupid. Been working in the pasture the last few days until noon or so & have to go in.

The heat shuts me out & getting tired. The flies & wasps are just out of control.

Was pretty bad last year. This year is worse & they are in attack mode ? Maybe a sign of a hard winter. Dunno ?

Dairy's all around & a feed lot just down the road don't help.

No Idea how bad flies are in the big city ? it's probably perfect in the Peoples Repulik of Boise

[Wink]

[ September 03, 2019, 05:03 PM: Message edited by: Dave Allen ]

Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted September 04, 2019 02:30 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Dave and EW we have flies ,most years, there is nothing much around us no horse or cattle operations one ranch about a mile away with lots of live stock. The flies have been much lighter this year for some reason. I like it !

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 04, 2019 07:57 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, you know the history of Southern California has always had it's share of the Dairy Industry, of which I spent a considerable part of my employment life. Years ago, Fountain Valley, Stanton and Westminster were full of dairy farms that were squeezed out because (mainly) cow shit stinks. Same situation closer to me, Chino and Ontario still has dairy farms, although some have moved to Barstow and Visalia while cashing in on increased property values. I always thought it a bit rich for people to knowingly buy across the street from a damned dairy farm and have the nerve to complain about the stink. Then, they democratically vote to out zone the farmer 100 to his single vote. And the assholes manage to still sleep at night.

Anyway, where was I? There is constant maintenance of the manure, stack it up and although I'm not up on the scientific aspects of dairy cow operations, we do have a bit of an inside joke, being downwind of the dairies about 8-10 miles away. They mess with those mountains of manure and this bothers the flies which we call Chino birds. Next thing you know, where before we have fairly good vector and insect control, we know the reasons when suddenly, every time you open the door, the flies love it inside. And so it goes.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted September 04, 2019 10:46 AM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Plenty of Kalifornia dairy men are up here. In fact, I think all but one of my many dairy farmer friends is from around here ? Maybe two ?

We smell the feedlot but, not the dairy's go figure ? (edit) mostly, depends on the wind. Still not bad. IMO

Flies come with the territory. It still gets on your nerves though. I think ? I have about 4000-5000 head of cattle within two square miles of here.

Funny story a few years ago some lady came in complaining about the dairy 1/2 mile or so down the road from where she lives. I asked her how long she lived there. She said about a month or two.

I thought to myself. Duh..Y'all didn't notice the dairy when ya bought the place ?

[ September 04, 2019, 10:50 AM: Message edited by: Dave Allen ]

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 04, 2019 12:18 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Dave, that really is a funny story! Don't know if it's a funny ha ha story or some type of "ironic" funny, or plain stupid funny. But, is the lady rare? She's as common and clueless as all the rest of the city types that never smelled cow shit every day, all day long, kind of unsure what that stink is? Backed up sewers, maybe? Then somebody tells her and she goes....DUH! I didn't know that? Now, thanks to AOC, she also knows that cow farts are ruining the earth's climate. Talk about reality striking!

As sure as night follows day, clueless lady will be down at the city council meeting before long asking what the supervisors plan on doing about the menace facing the community.

It would be funny, ha ha.... but next month she is organizing for windmills that generate a bunch of electricity all night long. (also, funny ha ha) Can't make this stuff up!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Dave Allen
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted September 05, 2019 06:35 AM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Knock on wood so far most people around here are pretty cool. One of the other scenarios is transporting manure. There are manure tankers all over the place.

We drive thru a moderate amount that spills on the road all the time. It's difficult to keep a squeeky clean vehicle. Gets on wife's nerves sometimes.

To your point LB there is a country subdivision on the hill south of me with some pretty nice houses.

Anyway some lady who drives an Audi raised hell with the county a few months ago about shit on the road & her car getting dirty. It got bad. A dairyman who is a real good friend of mine tried to avoid the area the best he could. But, an organic farmer has fields near her house & loves manure.

If he spilled a little he would get back "asap" with a tractor & blade & clean up as best as he could. Still wasn't good enough. I think the county finally told her basically hey lady you live in the country !!

Both of our county commissioners are farmers. They're getting old though it worries me.

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted September 05, 2019 09:04 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
HEY !!! ……………………….. I live on a dirt road and my truck gets dusty, thru no fault of my own.
Who do I sue ????? [Razz]

--------------------

Dave Allen
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted September 05, 2019 10:32 AM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Don't complain Koko. if ya do your RACIST !!

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters