The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Tillie tales (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Tillie tales
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 23, 2019 06:13 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
She had her first visit to the Vet, yesterday. She needs work on riding in the damned car, though! I might have to put her in and transport her in the kennel next time if she doesn't shape up. Made a mess of my new car.

So, she got a Parvo booster and is too young for the Rabies vaccine, have to come back in 3 weeks when she will be 4 months. She's 27.2 pounds, gained 10 pounds since I got her. We also got the I.D. "chip" for $40. Comes with a dog tag that says she has one.

She scratches so it seems logical that she has fleas. Somebody, (girlfriend) advised me against flea collars as they have a poison. Well the Vet has that all figured out. They have a pill that is consumed and kills fleas for one month. They are $28 each month. I have it but it's as big as a Tums and I do not see how the hell I'm going to get her to swallow it? Need some feedback, maybe I'l look it up on line or call the Vet.

I also took their pamphlet on a rattlesnake vaccine. It's $40 and protects for a year. Somewhere around here they also have a clinic for dogs on snake avoidance. Might want to look into that. I always wondered how coyotes do it? I have yet to stumble upon a dead coyote that wasn't shot or hit by a car on the highway. And, they must see a lot of snakes in season. Currently, it's too hot, except I know they are active at night right now. Anyway, something to think about, I didn't know there was a vaccine, it's amazing, really.

This clinic appears to be an all female show? Tillie was seen by 6 different aids and helpers and doctors and in every case she was so happy to see them and got extremely upset when they left the room, put up a very big girl howl, every single time her new friend left. She is friggin' LOUD! She has an "adam's apple" like on a man, and I bet she could be heard a mile away when barks treed. I don't have to ask around here if neighbors know there is a new dog in town. In fact, I did mention it yesterday and was told that yes, he did know I now had a dog, so there's that.

Okay, we are up to speed, stay tuned.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31459 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Brent Parker
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4354

Icon 1 posted August 23, 2019 01:29 PM      Profile for Brent Parker   Email Brent Parker         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard,

Take it for what it is worth, I feel the rattlesnake vaccine is a waste of money. I have had a number of dogs bit by rattlesnakes and all over 40 lbs haslived. Several of them were bitten so many times hell I could have sold their blood as vaccine, lol. Every dog under 40 lbs has died. Neighbor used to give all his little dogs that vaccine and ever on that was bitten died. My opinion is the body cant absorb it fast enough on a small dog. Keep benydral and DEX around and its better than the vaccine. Plenty of rest out of the way, plenty of water, no food for a day and let it be. Should be pretty good in a few days. I had dogs that had been bitten so much if it was early in the morning it was ok by evening.

Posts: 172 | From: 2 miles east of Vic | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 23, 2019 01:35 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Very interesting!

Thanks, Brent!

Edit, oh another thing. I’ve see a few Mojave’s in your area and they have (I think) a nuero toxin sorry misspelled the hell out of it but anyway the Diamondbacks have a hemotoxin. Supposedly the Mojave is usually more serious.

But what about the antivenum? Doesn’t sound like you do that either?

Good hunting. El Bee 🐝

[ August 23, 2019, 01:39 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted August 23, 2019 02:46 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that this is the most excited you've ever posted about anything. Sounds like you're having a lot of fun.

Benadryl for snakebite? My son was bit by a brown recluse about a month ago. At first, we thought it was an infection in a new tattoo, but day two, it had become the typical recluse bite - red and angry with a black dot in the middle. I have asveral jars of a dried "weed" that is very prolific around here in poorly maintained yards, called broadleaf plantain. It has a whole shitload of different native American medicinal uses, but one that immediately came to mind was for venomous bites. Dal was in a lot of pain so he consented to me experimenting on him. Mixed a good teaspoon of the ground dried leaves with a hypoallergenic lotion the wife had, applied that whole glob to a sterile 2x2 gauze pad, plopped it down on the bite and wrapped it up. The next morning, the dressing showed where it had drained through, so we carefully unwrapped it and I'll be damned. The bite site had completely drained out, the black core was gone, the wound itself showed little if any inflammation and was just a 1/4-inch hole, clean and pink as all get out. Packed it with antibiotic ointment and rewrapped. Healed right up. Every recluse bite I've seen ended up with a necrotic hole about the size of a quarter or bigger with a huge inflamed area around it. The plantain stopped the infection in its tracks. And people around here spray their yards to kill that stuff not realizing what it is. I looked online and several herbal sites suggested to stay away from conventional medicine because their way only makes recovery and the damage go longer, but they did suggest megadosing with bendryl to stop the body's reaction to the venom. Turns out broadleaf plantain has two key chemicals in it - an anti-inflammatory, and the only chemical known to act as an antivenom for brown recluse spiders. Whoodathunk?

Glad to see you're having so much fun. Love to hear a hound's bawl. You'll have to link us to a video of that.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted August 23, 2019 05:10 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like you & Tillie are good to go. Y'all are gonna be just fine [Smile]

Dog-Dad quick story. My wife gets home a few hours before me, so she puts Sadie in the mud room. It's cooler there. She knows the sound of my old Jeep pulling up. I park by the barn about 100ft away from the house.

Every night Sadie has her paws & face against the back door glass looking for me.

Good times !!

Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted August 24, 2019 05:10 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Plantain is a magical plant along with many others if we actually used them the world is a pharmacy. I have a degree in horticulture and just love this shit !
My dogs are trained off snakes. It does little good as they are hunters and when turned out the first thing they do is stick their face in a bush !

There are so many herbal remedies you would not believe it
I don't talk of it much everyone thinks your a hippie !

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
earthwalker
Cultural Editor & middleweight arm wrestling champion/Intermountain Region
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted August 24, 2019 05:36 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
I had a hound that would trail rattlesnakes and bay them up until we got there to kill it.
Our last group of dogs Kemmer Stock Mountain Curs were natural snake hunters. They knew what a rattlesnake was and they too would bay them up and hold them until we could get there to kill it.
They knew by instinct what snakes were and are.
We use a chewable tablet for fleas, tick and so forth. Tastes like beef and our dog loves it once a month. Can't think of the name at this time.
I have a small hand and use to just push the pill down the hounds throats. The smaller dogs were tougher. Glad they are making chewable tablets now a days.
You could always to do the hotdog thing with the pill. Get creative when it comes to dogs and pills.

--------------------
another long hot smoky summer coming

Posts: 1105 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted August 24, 2019 06:59 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Hot dogs worked for everything many medicinal's went the way of the hot dog !

--------------------

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted August 24, 2019 08:35 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Cheese works too, along with steak. LOL [Big Grin]

--------------------

Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted August 24, 2019 08:43 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
i get all may vaccine's and meds online from a group of good guys, all the phone agents are licensed veterinary assistants and very knowledgeable I call just for info sometimes its not all about selling you something . I live a little remote for running to the vet ! My pups are healthy and happy !

--------------------

Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted August 24, 2019 08:46 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
If I
put it on a plate my dogs would eat a shoe !

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 24, 2019 10:10 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Tillie is a little shy about just gobbling everything you offer her. If she hasn't seen it before, and that's many things, she cautiously sniffs and licks it and just wolfing it down just doesn't happen. I've tested this theory on waffles, meatballs, goldfish and oatmeal cookies. She really thinks it over before deciding to consume strange, never before seen food. Maybe she's been poisoned before? Hard to say but based on a few puppies I have known, many of them would eat a shoe on a plate, without a second thought.

So she's just a little discriminating and particular. She might still eat something that should not be consumed by anyone, human or canine, but at least she will be careful about it.

Well, having a guest this morning, have a little tiding up to do. <wink> And she's bringing lunch!
Yes, I still got it!

Good hunting. El Bee

[ August 24, 2019, 10:12 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

DanS
Scorched Earth (AZ Sector)
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted August 24, 2019 04:57 PM      Profile for DanS           Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard as you know I take my Cur dog out west with me every year. My vet gave me a pamphlet on a rattlesnake vaccine. Reading into it, The Mojave and several other rattlesnakes were on the list that this vaccine did nothing for.

--------------------
futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis

Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni:
Often Tested, Always Faithful. Brothers Forever!

Posts: 1465 | From: flyover country | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted August 25, 2019 12:51 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
All we have out here is the prairie rattler nice little fat basstard

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 25, 2019 05:32 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
No Paul, that's not the only rattler you have up there! A few years back, when you had the other property, and we had the campout there, Which turned out very nice and you deserve credit for hosting the event! But anyway, one afternoon, when coming down that main road, I believe it's Anvil Rock Rd? We came upon a rattlesnake road kill. The only thing is, it was the most unusual snake I, or Tom had ever seen! It was primarily black with a yellow belly. Very pretty snake, and good size, too. Might have been 3 1/2 to 4 foot long? So, keep your eyes peeled, you would be interested in checking out this beauty!

quote:
There are so many herbal remedies you would not believe it
I don't talk of it much everyone thinks your a hippie !

Too late for that, Dude! "herbal remedies" I think that's code for Mary Jane anyway?

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 26, 2019 06:40 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
In a weak moment, I bought a can of sardines the other day and for the first time in years, tried them. Only ok, but I did eat about half, drained the olive oil as best I could and set it out to be discovered by Tillie. Boy, was that a HOOT! way too small to get her muzzle in it but she got the tongue working and totally loved it! At one point when it was mostly gone, the can flipped over, and the really funny show began! She couldn't pick it up and turn it over so she pushed it all over the deck with her nose. Every time it looked like she might wedge it against something and flip it over she managed to fuck it up and resume chasing it hither and yon. Until it fell off the steps. But wow! Does she like sardines! This morning she was passing sardine gas, could have done without that. Yuck!

This is my epidural day at 1:30 this afternoon, so I'm going to leave her in the back yard by herself. She had better not decide to dig up that banana palm, again!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Member # 3918

Icon 1 posted August 26, 2019 07:33 AM      Profile for www           Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard,How often do you get your epidural injections? Are there any aftereffects?
Posts: 191 | From: Wyoming | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 26, 2019 10:32 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
This will be my first one! So, can’t tell you much?

They say benefits can range from negligible to practically instant cure?

They way Kaiser does it is a series of 3 injections spaced out over a year. Then if that don’t work, I have no idea what plan B is?

Good hunting. El Bee 🐝

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted August 26, 2019 12:49 PM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Nexguard is the chewable flea and tick medicine we use for the dog.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 26, 2019 03:28 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I don't know but Tillie is still scratching, maybe not as much? But, for 28 bucks a month, you would think something dramatic would happen? If she doesn't stop I'll call and find out what they say.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted August 26, 2019 06:38 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Possibly skin allergies ?????

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7579 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Member # 3918

Icon 1 posted August 27, 2019 04:53 AM      Profile for www           Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, they are recommending that I start the injections. Not sure that I really want to try it.
Posts: 191 | From: Wyoming | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted August 27, 2019 04:59 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
WWW , good luck whichever way you go pain is a bitch !

[ August 27, 2019, 04:59 AM: Message edited by: Paul Melching ]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 27, 2019 08:40 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I'll tell you what I can, to this point. Impressions.

First of all, a little background. Henry Kaiser built a steel plant in Fontana and built Liberty ships for the war effort in WWII, made substantial fortune. All that is left at this point is his very significant medical care originally intended for just his employees but now, I think anybody can join. It is a little like the Army, and that is why it turned me off for many years. I know they aren't in Arizona but they are big here.

The Fontana facility is really huge, I'm not even sure how many buildings? There is another in Baldwin Park and in Ontario and somewhere I think in Venice, those are the only ones I have been to. Seems people either love Kaiser or hate it. I have not drifted to either opinion, but I think they do have their shit together. I am schedules to a CT scan tomorrow, I've had quite a few.

So, had to have a driver. We arrived early, and my driver is a total nut case! Tried to enter the staff parking structure and crashed into the gate. When I asked why he turned right when it said staff parking only, he threw his hands in the air and screamed: "Because I fucked up!" Okay, I need to be careful with this idiot! I'm going to spare you the drive home, which you wouldn't believe anyway....

So all in all, we were checked in at least 45 minutes early. Didn't matter, they didn't call me until 5 minutes before my appointment time. This is in the basement between buildings #1 & 2. Impossible to find the first time I was there due to the parking lot I used and wandered all over the place, but I digress. This time I knew where to go and how to get there.

Went in sat down checked vital signs and went through the whole quiz routine. What am I taking, what have I quit taking? BP a little high at 141, maybe do to the parking structure ride? And, the guy passed up 50 parking spots before he crashed the fucking gate! Where was I?

So one thing I had to do was stand up and take it again, down to 132/85. Gave me a head-net but I didn't have to put on a gown and left my valuables sitting on the gurney when he (nurse) assured me they were safe as could be. (No gun)

Went in and told to lay on a pillow under my stomach and stretch out. Two technicians, and wearing lead pajamas. I had spoke to the Dr briefly , mainly because I indicated some infection but turned of it was my mistake, inflammation was the proper word. The want no antibiotics and no blood thinners. The actual injectable is a steroid some predestone derivative.

First is a pain killer and he says you will feel a little sting followed by a burning sensation. He was 100% correct about that but the first thing was pulling my pants down and stating my name and my birthday. then he swabbed me down three different times with I believe different things, I suppose for infection? then he was on my left side while they wheeled in a portable Xray machine like I have never seen before, (in a big C shape) but didn't see then, either because I was face down. That X-ray is ran by another doctor sitting at a console in the corner who I didn't actually meet but he was the one guiding the probe that the other guy was using.

After the numbing took effect, and it was a little uncomfortable for me, they had shoved a wedge under my right side to turn me a little and the whole thing was as far as I'm concerned, a little awkward, but these are the things you have to put up with. They waited a couple minutes for the pain killer to take effect and I guess it worked because all I felt was the considerable pressure of his left hand pushing on the left side of my lower back while he wiggled the needle to where he wanted it, next to the blown disc I got from falling out of my palm tree. So, it didn't take too long, notice how I skimmed over the palm tree incident?

He said we are almost don. and at some point withdrew the needle and I couldn't feel it at all. Nurse who was holding and caressing my shoulder the whole time said she was putting a band aid on my puncture and to leave it all day. It's still there, about a 3" patch, I guess I can take it off and use a mirror to see the hole, but not very interested until I get in the shower

No real actual side effects that I could see would prevent me from driving but they said don't do it for 24 hours. They talked about; could get worse could get better could take several days etc etc. I felt no change. And, I told them right al first when they asked, what's your level of pain right now/ Well, it was zero because I took my pills and when I do, I don't have pain.

So, why bother? Because Kaiser is sensitive to all the hullaballoo about the "Opioid epidemic" which I understand 60 Minutes hyped last night? They want to get me off Morphine and Norco, which have been taking the seven years I have been with Kaiser. So, with an attitude of cooperation I agreed to this procedure, just to see if I could back off the narcotics. Then, the theory is, I can try to back off and see if I have pain? That's assuming they don't cut me off first? Which is what they did a few months ago! Didn't even inform me, just cut my pills from 3 a day to 2 a day. and continued to take 3 a day and suddenly, WTF? the pill jar is empty! And, it takes 4 days to get a renewal and I can't go three days with out withdrawal symptoms. I had to go to the emergency and explain my predicament to an attending physician. He gave me an emergency Rx for 10 pills, the max allowed until I could get my prescription renewed. Boy, did I send an email to my doctor! He got the point and apologized for not at least informing me of the change that was dictated by bureaucracy upstairs. and that's when he asked me if I would consider an epidural, and that's where we are now, being cooperative....

Thanks for staying with it!

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: PS, my driver told me that Trump is destroying the country! My conciliatory response was, "at least he's not Hillary." and he said yeah well that was 3 years ago, it's what he is doing NOW! You have to let it drop, you can't argue with a fuking idiot.

[ August 27, 2019, 09:03 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted August 27, 2019 09:34 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Whenever some twit tells me that President Trump is destroying the country I usually ask if they can provide an example. Then the psyco-babble really starts.

I think that the Palm Tree Incident was on the news. Something about a jealous husband looking for the scoundrel who tried hiding up in a palm tree until he fell out ????

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7579 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters