The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Tele-markerters

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Tele-markerters
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted July 30, 2019 08:58 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
This actually seems to be working !!!!
I used to get a LOT of tele-marketing calls even though I'm on the Nat. Do Not Call list. I've been known to jerk them around to see how long I could keep them on the line & I've been cursed in a bunch of different languages. All good fun but they just keep calling.

For the past week or so I've been trying something different; Listen to the robo-message & press whatever number to speak to yadda yadda yadda;
When "Joe' with the funny accent comes on the line right off I go with "Please be advised that this call is being recorded for possible future legal use. To whom do I have the pleasure of speaking to and why have you contacted a do not call number ??" There's usually a pause and they hang up.
I'm getting a lot less calls lately...… as in from two or three an hour to maybe a couple a day.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7580 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 30, 2019 09:54 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, thank you, thank you! I thought I was the only one inundated with these harassing calls, starting at exactly 8 A.M. The first thing out of their mouth is: "My name is blah blah blah. How are you today? I am so sick of these calls. Auto insurance, Medicare, Mortgage refinance, and Reverse Mortgage, "free trips" to Orlando, home repair, inspecting my air conditioning unit and changing the filters, the list goes on!

Yes, I know I'm a dinosaur, because I still have a land line, and everybody makes fun of it. But what are you going to do when they bundle it for nothing and the fact is, it's the only telephone in the house where I can actually hear conversation! Holding a cell phone up at an awkward angle might be your idea of pleasant, but it's not mine.

In fact, I resist carrying that fucking phone everywhere I go, from watering the lawn to the bathroom. Sometimes I even leave in in the car all day long, and don't miss it. It's pathetic to see people walking around staring at their phone. I can remember when a 25 foot extension on the desk phone was the ultimate luxury.

But, the last frontier in harassment is the smartphone. I don't think I get more than one a day? Truthfully, the number of calls on my land line has dropped off, not sure why? I complain to people and they smugly inform me that they just don't answer, unless they recognize the number. Well, to me, that's what they do when they are behind on their payments, but I have nothing to hide so I answer the damned phone! I'm the stupid one, that's for sure!

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: by the way, I have had a few get really pissed off because I jerk them around, the most common is the one helping me with windows tech support. And, it's alway people with an eastern accent!

[ July 30, 2019, 09:57 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted July 30, 2019 10:21 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
A really simple one is to listen to their crap for a few sentences while sounding interested and then "Hey, hang on a second, somebody's at the front door." Then just set the phone down. While they're waiting for you they're not calling me..... & vice versa. [Smile]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7580 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Semp
GOLD STAR MEMBER
Member # 3074

Icon 1 posted July 31, 2019 03:50 AM      Profile for Semp           Edit/Delete Post 
Most of the time I don't answer the phone and just let it go to voice mail. I'll call back if it is a legit call.

In times past, I would tell the marketer to "hold just a moment please", put my ear muffs on and blast them with a Storm Whistle. At 130 db they don't call back too often.

--------------------
Always remember: That court appointed psychiatrist is not your friend.

Posts: 406 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 31, 2019 08:29 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
If only! I've already had three this morning. There really should be a friggin' LAW! I'm sick of being bothered. I do not see it as a solution to not answer the damned telephone. That's why we have it. But the system we have paid for is being abused. I'm sick of being played by an army of foreign solicitors. Every fucking one starts off: "My name is...." If you yell at them, WHAT DO YOU WANT? they might just hang up. Damn! There must be a lot of money in telemarketing, but my privacy is being invaded! I'm totally sick of it!

Good hunting. El Bee

PS there is obviously something wrong with me? The only Dem candidate that appealed to me last night was Merrianne Williamson. I am not kidding, she's the only one I would even consider voting for.

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted July 31, 2019 11:30 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Just the fact that they're democrats is reason enough not to vote for them as far as I'm concerned.

Only one call so far today. [Smile]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 31, 2019 11:41 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's been more than an hour since I have had a call. The last one hung up on me, just because I demanded; WHAT DO YOU WANT ?

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted July 31, 2019 06:52 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
This is a fun one;
Act interested and ask them to repeat their company's name. Mention that you like to Google a business before you do business with them. Pause for a bit and then tell the guy that his company has seventeen pages of reviews and they all seem to be negative. He'll deny it. Say "Oh my" quite a bit and things like "It says here that you'll put unauthorized charges on my credit card." He'll deny that, too. Now start in asking him how he can live with himself working for such an outfit. He will assure you that he works for an honorable company. This is when you can point out that his company broke the law by contacting a number on the Nat. Do Not Call list so their ethics are already in question.
At some point he'll hang up on you. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted August 01, 2019 05:15 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
They have software that mimics an area code near you or the same as yours if its not an identified caller I just decline the call if it's legit they will leave a message otherwise fuk um done playing games with these assholes, I've done it all from putting them on hold to telling them I will kill their families in the night! I love Frank from Microsoft the best he has a great Indonesian accent!

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Knows what it's all about
Member # 3918

Icon 1 posted August 01, 2019 05:27 AM      Profile for www           Edit/Delete Post 
I have been called by my own number.Skip Mathews from the IRS could'nt explain why he was using my number.
Posts: 191 | From: Wyoming | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 01, 2019 07:28 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I notice all these Hindu accents have a local number, must be from somebody I know, close by? I wonder how they do it? There has got to be a lot of money involved, there are a lot of people that waste time all day long, I hope this guy has a decent pension?

What if we all chip in a couple bucks, would they go away? I'm not kidding, these asshole really annoy me!

Good hunting. El Bee

PS the latest twist is from social security, my number has been suspended or stolen, I forget which? I don't listen long enough to find out what I have to do about it. But I'm sure it's real and very serious! I'm still concerned that my credit card information has been stolen, that one is keeping me up at night!

But where is the renumeration? Who is paying Frank? It's a good thing I have him looking out for me!

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted August 01, 2019 01:17 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
The guy from 'microsoft' wants you to backspace out the info on the top line & he'll provide you with the new codes …………. which will also open your computer to …….. him.

No calls so far today.

Couple of weeks ago my friend from 'U.S. Pharmacy' called about my prescriptions. I asked him if he had a few minutes to discuss our beloved savior, Janis Joplin. Y'know, Janis Joplin was God's only begotten daughter who sayth "Take a little piece of my heart and then died for YOUR sins." "When She returns from Heaven we will all rejoice and the Hindu will eat beef and the muslim will eat pork." By then I'm laying it on pretty thick and ask if they could contribute a small donation, say ,$100 to the Jewish Defense League to continue this important work. Credit cards accepted.
After he went thru a rant I asked him if he kissed his mother with that mouth & he hung up on me. Very rude. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Semp
GOLD STAR MEMBER
Member # 3074

Icon 1 posted August 02, 2019 10:47 AM      Profile for Semp           Edit/Delete Post 
Got a call this morning. I didn't answer the unknown number as usual but this time they left a voice mail. Seems if I don't call back ASAP they are going to take legal action against me (for what they didn't say). They can't get blood out of a turnip so I'm not worried.

--------------------
Always remember: That court appointed psychiatrist is not your friend.

Posts: 406 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted August 02, 2019 11:48 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Some of those numbers that they want you to call will charge you by the minute and see how long they can keep you on the line.

--------------------

TRnCO
FUTURE HALL OF FAMER
Member # 690

Icon 1 posted August 02, 2019 05:35 PM      Profile for TRnCO   Email TRnCO         Edit/Delete Post 
No home phone for the last 4 years, BUT like most everyone else I get more than my share of unidentifiable phone calls on my cell. The easiest solution that I've found is simply hit the button to end the call, without answering.
Figure if it's someone that I know, they can text or leave a message.
Sounds like I get fewer then some of ya. I get about 5 a week, on avg.
So far I've only ever gotten one text from a solicitor wanting me to partake in some survey. I simply deleted it.

--------------------
Is it hunting season yet? I hate summer!

Posts: 996 | From: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jay Nistetter
Legalize Weed, Free the Dixie Chicks
Member # 140

Icon 1 posted August 03, 2019 05:35 AM      Profile for Jay Nistetter   Email Jay Nistetter         Edit/Delete Post 
I registered my phone numbers on
nomorobo.com
over a year ago.
The BS calls stopped. This really works.

The following is from their sight:
Ok, I've enabled and verified Nomorobo on my phone. What now?
Just use your phone like normal.
The only thing that you should do is to wait for the second ring to answer the phone (Nomorobo needs the first ring to detect robocallers).
If you only hear one ring and then it stops, you know a robocaller was just blocked.
If the phone continues ringing, you should answer it.
Will this block my doctor's office, prescription reminders, school closings, weather advisories, etc.? No.
The only numbers that are blocked are illegal robocallers.
Hey! A robocaller still called me! Occasionally a robocaller or a telemarketer will slip through.
Just like spam, they keep changing their tactics and Nomorobo keeps adapting.
If you do get a robocall, please report it here.
I have more questions! If you have any other questions, comments, or suggestions, please check our help desk. Thanks!

--------------------
Understanding the coyote is not as important as knowing where they are.
I usually let the fur prime up before I leave 'em lay.

Posts: 1006 | From: Arizona | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters