The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » 4th Plans? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: 4th Plans?
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted July 03, 2019 06:50 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
You are correct been a few years !

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 03, 2019 08:49 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, ko ko, you sure called him on that screw up, I'm sure it was "evil".

The one that actually gave me the creeps was the "squeaking door" sound effects. Holy shit! Terrifying for a little kid, and I was little.

When all the Veterans came back from the war, (WWII) there was a severe housing shortage so "they" somebody? started building Quonset Hut communities. A family lived in half, another family in the back half. Almost 100% former military and much friendly rivalry.

Anyway, the Mitchell's lived straight across from us and talk about a sensation when those uppity people bought a television set. Had a huge 7" screen, black and white, of course, but they had a magnifying glass in front that made it just as good as the latest 9" models. Anyway, they would set in it the doorway and draw a crowd every night to Watch Arthur Godfrey's Talent Scouts. And, he did his own commercials for Lipton Soup, not Ice Tea, which hadn't been invented yet.

The Bosinski's and Mitchell's bought a house together about two years later, two residences in what they called a "double bungalow" Still more than adequate accommodations in a nice part of south Minneapolis. By then, everybody had an Admiral or a Muntz TV, at least 17". with doors across the front because you had to limit watching which could develop eye strain, and that made it look like a piece of furniture, maybe a cabinet for your silverware, who knows but I don't ever remember seeing those doors closed for more than 5 minutes? These things had warm up times, by the way, and the staple was cowboy shoot'em ups, and they really did show test patterns before 6A.M. and after midnight. By then, nobody, but no body had a big standup radio. About that time they invented "clock radios" small enough to put in your headboard, but still analog, sure as hell wasn't digital. I was 10 when I got my .410, in 1952. It was a dependable bolt action.

That was the early fifties that flew by and everybody "Liked Ike".

Down Memory Lane with Lenbo.

Good hunting. El Bee

[ July 03, 2019, 08:56 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31324 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted July 03, 2019 09:48 AM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently, I was born about 20 years too late. Always have had a draw to that era of stuff. Even today, I spend at least a little time each night seeing what's on TMC for an old black and white movie and I've always loved those old radio shows. Still listen to them on a regional AM station that caters to the ag community. Spencer Tracy, Flibber McGee and Molly,. etc.

By my guess, all this ties in with a spot Paul Harvey (talk about an icon and storyteller) did once about the difference between books, video, reading and watching. Someone somewhere had taken a group of kids and divided them into two groups. Group A got to watch a Harry Potter movie, then they the were given the book to read. Group B was the reverse, they got to read the book first and then watch the movie. Afterwards, they were asked a battery of questions to see which version they preferred.

Turns out those who read the book first enjoyed the book more and preferred it over the movie.

Those who watched the movie first enjoyed it more and preferred it over the book.

The person who did the study hypothesized that the kids who read first enjoyed the book more because, as they read, their imaginations created the scenery and characters for the "movie" in their minds and, when they watched the actual movie itself, it lacked the intensity that the book had and failed to connect with the kids at the same level. Those who watched the movie first, when reading the actual book later, merely replayed the scenes from the movie in their heads which failed to come even close to what the watchers had experienced.

Old time radio shows, like reading, takes the listener on a trip in their heads. The characters are often played by people they know, whether that be actors or family. The scenery and characters are drawn from familiar experiences and people, and as such, the story becomes personal for the listener or reader in a way that gives them an easy and comfortable opportunity to connect and become part of the experience. You can't create that with a video or movie. Not in the same way.

This is why much of my writing sought to follow the same format over the years. I always opened with a personal anecdote of a hunting experience that connected to the idea I was discussing in the piece. Always tried to keep it local for the guys who didn't have the means to go on safari. Tried to keep it specific enough, but at the same time, not go into a lot of detail as to describing characters so as not to inhibit the ability of the reader to recall similar experiences of their own and to staff the cast of characters in their mind as they reads with dads, uncles, buddies, and the like. Story, make my point, close with another story. My goal was always to make my articles much like a good book, where when you look back to recall my point or the information I was giving, your recall was less a matter of simply recalling facts and more seeing the imagery of what you were actually thinking while reading - the personal video footage in your mind.

To their credit, there's a show on that same radio station I mentioned that runs twice every weekend called, "Fireside Stories" where this woman picks one or two recently published outdoor stories from currents magazines and reads them on the radio. Great way to spend an hour, smoking a cigar, enjoying a good cup of coffee or a cold beer and just kicking back reminiscing while you listen.

Today's world has a serious lack of that sort of thing. Lack of imagination, which can sometimes take effort and work.

Yep. Twenty years late.

At least.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 03, 2019 12:25 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but. Have you seen the photos of a group of friends or a whole family sitting around a table in a restaurant or at home and every one of them has their nose in their Iphone? Or, my pet peeve lately, at the price of tickets to Major League Baseball, the women, (mostly) are in the stands texting.

I'm not on FaceBook, Twitter, Instagram, or any of the so called "social Media."

You really think people are going to put their phones away and listen to the radio? Turns out not many of them were born 20 years too late.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Semp
GOLD STAR MEMBER
Member # 3074

Icon 1 posted July 03, 2019 06:25 PM      Profile for Semp           Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard, that squeaking door program was called "the Creaking Door" and part of the Inner Sanctum radio show. I was pretty young then but still remember it. Scared the shit out me and I loved it.

--------------------
Always remember: That court appointed psychiatrist is not your friend.

Posts: 404 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted July 04, 2019 04:04 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
I have an iPhone for my convivence and not the other way around it spends most of it time in a pocket If you go blu face at my table you are invited to leave !
I loved the radio programs Dick Tracy to the lone Ranger. we had a stand up radio and I sat my little ass right in front ! also had the 6" screen TV watched Howdy Doody ! and Buffalo Bob !

--------------------

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
earthwalker
Cultural Editor & middleweight arm wrestling champion/Intermountain Region
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted July 04, 2019 05:24 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Hair bit before my time.
I was Roy Rogers, Sky King and Gene Autry. Then the one with Lloyd Bridges about diving under water. Loved that show. Now you couldn't get me in the Ocean under water.
I have listened to the old radio shows.
On Siris/XM they have a couple of channels that's nothing but the old radio programs.

Started the (Sweet) Pickled beet process. Waiting on the jars to get closer to being done in the dish washer. Then will start the beets and all the cleaning of them. I have a lot to do. Wish me luck.

--------------------
another long hot smoky summer coming

Posts: 1104 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted July 04, 2019 05:29 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
EW that was Seahunt with Lloyd Bridges loved Sky King !and the rest

--------------------

Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted July 04, 2019 05:34 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Daughter an SIL were coming up with the kids all seven money got tight couldn't make it we are all dressed up nowhere to go, so sad I was looking forward to my five year old twin grandsons they are such a trip !
Happy Fourth to you all !

--------------------

Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted July 04, 2019 08:41 AM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to hear that, Paul. Happens. We spent the night being inundated with rain, out of no where. Weatherman said slight chance. We just wrapped up a hundred year flood. Record setting rain in Kansas. Guy down by Wichita said he's had 68 inches of rain this year, and that was last week. Had more since. Reservoirs were all at capacity and being held back as Nebraska is still trying to drain out from under the late blizzard they had this Spring and all that water has been flooding Missouri enroute to the Gulf. Just got to releasing when we had another round of storms two weeks ago that dumped 9 inches of rain and more in some places that re-flooded the low country. Have had the past 9 days or so dry and hot which has allowed our farmers to bring in what wheat survived the flooding. Started raining about 2 this morning and my phone has been blowing up with emergency alerts for flash flooding since then. Sun just came out and my rain gauge shows 1.2 inches, which is great because ten miles south of me and to the west (upstream), they got 8+. Gonna be a sticky, sultry July 4 and all the local plans have been canceled other than the fireworks tonight, assuming it doesn't cook back up.

Staying in, staying cool. Happy 4th everyone.

(Trying to send you this rain, EW. Ain't working too well.)

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 04, 2019 08:46 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
That happened to me last year, Paul. My granddaughter and boyfriend told me they were coming down from 29 Palms for a visit. Had to cancel at the last minute when they figured out that they couldn't afford the gas. That was painful, and sad.

Good hunting. El Bee

PS yes, Inner Sanctum. Hard to believe a stupid radio show could create so much (I guess) fear? With sound effects.

that's another thing. Nowadays, all they talk about is Super Hero's movies. And they do it in front of a damned computer! they don't have to create special effects, with car crashes any more. There is some nerd whiz kid doing wild and crazy stuff with his keyboard. BFD!

[ July 04, 2019, 09:47 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

earthwalker
Cultural Editor & middleweight arm wrestling champion/Intermountain Region
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted July 04, 2019 09:12 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
I remembered the name a little while ago.
5 quarts of pickled beets done, at least 5 or more to go.
Hard part is boiling the beets to take the outer skin off. It all takes time. Hope my back holds up.

--------------------
another long hot smoky summer coming

Posts: 1104 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted July 04, 2019 09:44 AM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
I cut the labor....Aunt Nellies whole pickled beets, just a tad smaller than a golf ball in size, I could eat a jar a day, love those little sonofabitches!
Posts: 1596 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted July 04, 2019 11:28 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Paul;
I lieu of the actual grandkids, might I suggest going down to the local Little League field and watching the kids play a game. They play their hearts out and the parents are a hoot to watch, too. Not as good as family, but still something to do.
And ……………. you'll never look at prima-donna pro players the same again. [Roll Eyes]

Happy 4th !!!!!!!

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7510 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 04, 2019 01:36 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
My kid was a standout star in Little League, then he quit high school and focused on other stuff. There went Dad's vicarious dreams, out the window. <sniff, sniff>

But anyway, his kid, Robbie the funniest thing I remember of him in the minors when he was 9 or 10. There he was in center field and the coach was yelling at him while Robbie had his back to home plate and was tossing his mitt in the air, and catching it over and over and in his own little world. They already had the 3 outs to end the inning and Robbie was out there in his own attention deficit disorder world. I thought it was freaking hilarious!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

NVWalt
Knows what it's all about
Member # 375

Icon 1 posted July 04, 2019 02:30 PM      Profile for NVWalt           Edit/Delete Post 
No kite flying today but it will be evening soon and then dark thirty and I shall be dragging the mortor out and overloading it with black powder to wake up and rattle the hills here.
Great day for a military parade and fireworks.
Everybody....Happy 4TH of July!!!!!!!!

--------------------
Idiocracy. Started as a comedy and is now a documentary about the U.S.

Posts: 624 | From: Tellico Plains, TN | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 05, 2019 08:10 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
It ain't like the old days. We used to be up at the crack of dawn blowing up a whole box of explosive shit. No M80's back then but we had cherry bombs, and bricks of Peonies. when everything was used up, we would get rolls of caps, if anyone remembers the cap gun? Well, we used to hit a whole roll of caps with a small sledgehammer and anvil, and that makes a decent explosion. The very last junk to light off was "snakes" and sparklers. Somebody had to clean up that shit? You do not want to step on a sparkler barefoot. That happened a lot, at the beach, people would throw them in the air and they would land hither and yon.

Nope, the Fourth of July ain't what it used to be, that's for sure. It's too damned sanitized. Every city has a sign, no fireworks allowed, which Mexicans ignore. That's it, around here, it's the Mexican American neighbors that blow up stuff , of which there are about 3, I think? Everybody else is too scared the SWAT will show up.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted July 05, 2019 08:58 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
M-80s ???
Up in the Olympia out on the Res the Indians sell tennis balls filled with flash powder and topped with a fuse of questionable quality.
You wanna talk about a big kaboom ??? DAMN !!!!!!

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7510 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 05, 2019 09:23 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you sure my brother never sold you a car? He's been up there in God's Country forever. I mean, it's ok, if you like dreary depressive overcast every friggin' day and twice on Sunday. Or, have I mentioned this before? No burn days? The "Suicide Capital" etceteras? ya, I thought I did.

Good hunting. El Bee

PS what provoked you into leaving "God's Country"?

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted July 05, 2019 10:32 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Let me sugar-coat just one of the reasons as much as I can;

~
9 Western Washington is a God-Forsaken corner of Hell that is too wet to burn eleven straight months out of the year.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 05, 2019 11:03 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah yes! Like my brother told me, Summer up there starts the second week of July and lasts for two whole weeks.

Say what you want about SoCal, but you can't beat the weather.

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: BUT-during those two glorious weeks, the rhododendrons are in bloom and it's deceptively pleasant.

[ July 05, 2019, 11:06 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters