The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Why

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Why
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted June 16, 2019 04:19 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
I can remember the lyrics to every 60's and 70 song and cant remember why I came into the kitchen. Getting old ain't for sissies! On another my old friend Tom Turner is about to give up he can no longer use a phone as he cant hear , He is experiencing diminished mental capacity . we text . He is pretty much housebound can no longer drive himself and his ticker was never really very good , couple of surgeries there ! he told me he has a couple of months at best. It's always fun to say you know a rocket scientist. He has been a true friend to me and I pray for him daily. May those of you that do pray please say a word for my friend.

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 16, 2019 09:24 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I had no idea you were friendly with him? We had an of and on relationship. He's been in poor health for 20 years, I'm kind of surprised he's still with us? Say hi for me.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31263 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted June 16, 2019 10:16 AM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Had noticed less and less of him on FB. Sad to hear this. I submitted things to Tom on several occasions knowing I would get thorough and objective feedback. He never let me down.

As to the why these things happen, because that's the way shit goes. Surgery on my knee this coming Thursday. Doc told me to stop everything I'm taking but four meds I take for blood pressure and allergies. Prior to stepping wrong and finishing off the cartilage in my knee, I was feeling pretty good, all things considered. Little pain in my knees, but everything else was getting along well.

Now, folks make fun of me because I use herbal remedies for a lot of stuff that I just don't see the need to put more poison into my body in the form of rx meds. For example, I have an absess above one tooth that's been there for years. About every year or so, I'll have to ask for a round of Amoxicillin to put it back down, but the rest of the time, 1000mg garlic every 12 h works wonders for tooth and gum pain. 5kmg magnesium every morning really helps with muscle pain. Having to stop both of these and my Naprosyn for the past two weeks and working them out of my system for surgery has revealed to me just how effective they've been in keeping my pain levels tolerable. As of yesterday, I have to crawl up stairs on all fours, taking one step at a time. Can't sit on as hard chair or the toilet for very long without the pain going down my right leg becoming unbearable. Standing from any sitting position where I've sat for more than a couple minutes is excrutiating.

Left knee is starting to complain about being overused to protect the integrity of the injured right knee. Sciatica last night from carrying a weed killer container around the yard yesterday. Numbness and pain in both wrists going down both middle fingers at night from carpal tunnel; have to wear a brace on the left hand for that any time I lay down. Neck and back pain from stenosis. Looking back at my wonderful job at the PO and I'm left to wonder WTF have I done to myself? First thing I'm gonna do Thursday after they release me from the surgical center is take a fistful of all the meds I give myself and wait for them to kick in again. Any mystery that I was wasting my time with these herbal remedies has been dispelled. I think I'm one of the younger ones here which means you ol' farts are some tough sumbitches!

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
earthwalker
Cultural Editor & middleweight arm wrestling champion/Intermountain Region
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted June 16, 2019 11:03 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Now what was it I came here for? [Confused]

Been doing that a lot lately can't remember chit.

Get my left knee replaced Sept bone on bone. 14 steps here at the building and they are steep to go up and down. Doctor was a little worried about them. It is what it is.

Just had a older lady walk up a 1.5 weeks out of heart surgery. I think she's crazy for doing it. Hope she makes it home okay. Had her son with her.

--------------------
another long hot smoky summer coming

Posts: 1098 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 16, 2019 12:13 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Lance, I can't say I'm either for or against all these home brew and herbal remedies, and the Chinese stuff. But I have read reports that some of it is questionable from the standpoint of purity, and just suspicious claims and some of it has proven negative side effects.

I've never been a habitual pill taker. As a rule, I would go many hours with a headache without thinking I could take an aspirin to relieve the symptoms.

However, that's changed the past ten years or so, I take probably ten pills in the morning and 4 at night but I'm having trouble with the one that I'm supposed to take 3 times a day, I never remember?

Medication is something that's rather new to me, but I accept the fact that it's useful, especially since pain medication is delaying back surgery, of which I have seen real life examples of butcher work and it's not for me.

Then again, I just had a conversation with the guy across the street that agreed to drive me for my epidural, whenever I can get that appointment. And coincidentally he is having a knee replacement this coming Thursday. So, he immediately starts going off on opioids. Said he's not going to get hooked on that crap, his brother died of an OD of Norco. I didn't bother mentioning that I remember his brother who has always been an illegal drug user. A doctor that prescribes Norco to a friggin' doper needs his ass kicked. You know the first thing they think is if 2 are good, then 4 are better! Then I told him I have been taking morphine for 7 years and while I might be hooked to the extent that I know when I forget, the fact that I can walk around is proof enough for me that they are very beneficial drugs, and I routinely under medicate myself anyway. Was that a run on sentence, or what? Anyway, he was surprised to hear it, and he's ten years younger and uses a cane. I'm in no kind of shape but I could run around the block ten times before this guy could make the first revolution. Sometimes people are so stupid, depending on the subject matter.

End of rant.
Good hunting. El Bee

[ June 16, 2019, 12:16 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted June 16, 2019 05:55 PM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
I had to walk away from the opioids completely I am in constant pain but that wont kill me, but Oxy will ! went thru withdrawals twice never again !

--------------------

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 16, 2019 06:51 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Did you take as prescribed?

I know a guy, since high school, I ran into him in line at the pharmacy. He said he takes 8 Norco a day. High school, and he's married to my sister in law, who was previously married to Nancy's brother. And, he asked me my name three times during the 5-8 minutes we were standing in line. I should have called Cathy and asked her how Al was doing, but I haven't. As far as I'm concerned, he's acting like a Space Cadet.

And, I have to wonder if it's Kaiser, both of us have that coverage. I know they are trying to cut me off and I'm not abusing my dosage, in fact I take 60mg instead of the 90 that I am prescribed. But, I don't just take three because it says I should take three. I take it as needed. And, I don't have any problems, except for posting a bogus email every once in a while.

I guess I don't get it? They make pain killers to deal with pain. That's what the guy across the street has decided. He's going to have surgery rather than die from an overdose of opioids. Fuck, a person can die from drinking an excessive amount of water. At some point people have to be responsible with anything they intake.

Myself, like I told Paul (across the street) I'm damned glad I can walk around without feeling drugged, and not submitting to a surgery that has no guarantees. I'm even agreeing to the epidural with the objective being that I can at least reduce pain medications.

Personally, I think they are being very optimistic in thinking this treatment for a single bulged disc will also fix the 4 vertebrae that have the spinal stenosis. If it works, great. I'm not expecting a miracle.

But, I'm of the opinion that these drugs have value, used with discretion.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted June 16, 2019 07:08 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't buy in completely. There are valid drugs and good reasons to take them. Most of what I use that are "herbals" are either from legitimate sources, or from my own garden.

For example, the wife developed a hen's egg sized spot on her hip the other day. Looks like possible shingles to me as she's a prime candidate for that. Sent a pic to a nurse practitioner friend of mine who didn't agree with me but couldn't really say what it was. Lisa said it was very painful and warm to touch. SO, years ago, vamithunter Ronnie Robison sent me a salve that he got from a fellow down there for his chronic pain. Al natural remedies, and although it was originally developed by this guy for neuropathy, the hospital in HOuston where this guy worked used it on burn patients and shingles patients to treat nerve pain. The guy was killed in a car accident and the balm became unavailable after he died, but I have a bottle here with the ingredients, so I hit the pharmacy and the health food store and created a version of my own with aloe vera, lidocaine ointment and white willow extract in an emu oil base. The aloe is a good anti-inflammatory, the lidocaine ointment is a good anasthaetic, the willow extract does some of that and an anti-inflammatory, and the emu oil is hands down key for carrying the other compounds through the dermal layers and deep into the nerves. Reduced her pain by about 60% according to her.

Another example, broadleaf plantain. This is a weed that grows in sidewalk cracks and poorly maintained lawns all over the country. Been used by Plains Indians for centuries for a whole host of ailments. One in which it stands alone is its antitoxin and anti-inflammatory properties in dealing with the bite of the brown recluse spider. Nothing a clinic or doctor can do for you will undue what that venom does, and will often make matters worse, but plantain leaves, chewed and applied as a poultice, will neutralize the venom within 24 hours and bolster the healing of the necrotic tissue.

We have another weed around here - prickly lettuce. Tall and looks like a dandelion on acid. Grows wild everywhere and farmers spend a lot to spray it in their fields. Lisa is under chronic pain management for damage from a car accident 20 years ago and what they do for her isn't much. She is on strictly regulated Norco and it really doesn't catch all the pain. Prickly lettuce is a kissing cousin to another plant called Opium lettuce containing the same active ingredients, so last year when some of it came up along the edges of my garden area, I let it mature and harvested it. Dried and ground the leaves to see how they would work and brewed a tea from it that she drank. Said it reduced what residual pain she had by a factor of 2 on the 1-10 scale. This year, I intend to harvest the entire stem and all and cook down the milky white sap. That's where the main ingredients are found. Totally non-narcotic.

She gets more relief from that, the balm we made and CBD oil then what the doctors are willing to give her. None of which is addictive.

The norco is, and they collect urine every month to make sure that she's not only not taking too much, but that she has the right amounts in her system to ensure that she's using it properly. I pick up her RX at the pharmacy and the meds stay in my gun safe where I ration out her dose every morning and night to make sure that there is no question about how much she's using. You can't be too careful with that stuff as it's bad enough to grow dependent, but they'll throw your ass in prison and ruin your life if you make a mistake with it. Hell, I give my older dog a small dose of phenobarbital every day at 7a and 7p to manage his seizures. Works well and the rx came with a stern warning from our vet to keep track of it because if it comes up missing, I'll be in deep shit. That dog either knows when he's due for a dose or he's learned to read a clock because, if I forget it, he'll come looking for me around 7:05 or 7:10.

Never used oxy or anything but norco after surgeries. Doesn't do much for me. Within a matter of days, every six hours becomes every four hours becomes every two, and it's then that I know to get away from it. Needing morphine or any other pain med is nothing to be ashamed of as long as you follow the drs directions and know how to use it and when something's amiss.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 16, 2019 08:03 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm? they ask me for a urine sample every 6 months? I think I'm just about due. I kinda resent it. I hate taking any drug, I don't like taking 81mg aspirin. But I take it.

This is just like anything else, as long as it works, I guess it's good for you. But, it's this irresponsible progression from 2 to 4 to 6, this is something you would think an adult would understand. They give me 325-10 Norco for breakout pain, 25 per month, but I only take half and I'm still not sure how long a one month Rx will last me, but I'm guessing it will be 3 or 4? What, am I unique? I take the shit when I need it and am extremely careful with it. It seems to work, that's all I know and for the life of me, I don't understand how you can get in trouble if you follow the label. But, Geesus, this guy takes 8 a day and he drives and doesn't know my name? Somethings wrong, some people should probably take this stuff at the window, in a paper cup like they do with methadone.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted June 17, 2019 02:35 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey CDude;
Whatever happened to DMSO ??
Di-Mythel-Sulf-Oxide. (I probably screwed up the spelling)
It was supposed to be the cure-all wonder drug a while back.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7480 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 17, 2019 04:48 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I heard a lot about DMSO quite a few years ago, hell I don't know if it was Art Bell, or what, but I saw it on a shelf somewhere and had it in my medicine cabinet for YEARS, never touched it, never knew what to do with it and in a fit of rage, one day tossed it. No, that's not how it went, more like an impulse and a shrug; fuck this stuff!

I have a feeling "C Dude" will know at least what it's for? I think it was originally like a dry cleaning fluid or something, and is it maybe good for arthritis?

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: come on Lance! Don't let us down! There's 3 or 4 people dying to know about this stuff!

[ June 17, 2019, 04:51 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted June 17, 2019 04:52 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
dmso still around its a carrier much like emu. for absorption.
Leonard I took less than prescribed of the oxy I always had plenty of leftovers at the end of the month did not take away pain just made you not give a shit ! After my last repair surgery they gave it to me in liquid form as I could not swallow pills still sitting in the bathroom unopened, wont touch it.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 17, 2019 11:15 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well see, i don't have much experience either Oxycodone or hydrocodone, which I believe is called Norco? The Hydrocodone is what they give me, never had the other, but a whole pill made me a little noxious so I've always just taken half a pill. Having said all that, and since it doesn't seem to do much for me any way, I guess I can see where people might double up on it, if they don't feel any relief.

But, you know, I'm not a doctor so my opinion is next to worthless, but for a situation like yours, my god! Why didn't they ever try a Percocet or the Extended relief Morphine Sulfate? I think it's the same old story, a stigma attached to it, but even more mystifying is why your doctor didn't try something else, knowing you are in pain and "oxy" isn't working? I really don't know which formulation is best for which pain, but what it looks to me is you have not been well served. What I see is the same old, same old, a doctor might be afraid he will be accused of getting a patient hooked on narcotics. So, it's better to let him suffer than be monitored for prescribing opioids. I need to be careful here because you have a certain amount of loyalty to the caregiver, but the way I see it, it's just like Paul across the street. Pain relief can be complicated, But from what you have said, it looks to me that somebody dropped the ball....no offense!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Cdog911
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted June 17, 2019 06:45 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
In high school, I trained young racing greyhounds. We had bottles of DMSO around to rub the dogs down with that appeared to be having muscle pain. I hated that stuff. No matter how thick the rubber gloves, the fumes from that stuff would absorb into your system. Caused you to taste garlic or oysters, depending on the person, and it took all day to get rid of it. I'd heard it was carcinogenic, but you can still get it, I guess.

--------------------

Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted June 18, 2019 04:08 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard Percocet is oxy with acetaminophen .

I just stay away from it all the one thing they gave me in the hospital that worked was morphine they had me hooked up to a demand pump all I had to do was press the button pain bye bye !

[ June 18, 2019, 04:14 AM: Message edited by: Paul Melching ]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 18, 2019 07:37 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, didn't know the exact formulation, but I'm aware that they have some combination compounds to facilitate the workings of the actual pain reliever and a common one is caffeine, who knows why?

The thing is, you already know the value of morphine as a pain reliever. I don't understand the reluctance, not you so much, but the doctors that seem not to consider extended release morphine sulfate and instead prescribe something like "oxy" or Norco? As I said, Norco just doesn't do much for me, but that little drip of morphine is what allows me to walk around. Otherwise, I'd be a lot less active.

I talk to people with ailments from time to time and it's common that they rely on Oxycodone , or hydrocodone, which doesn't seem to provide much relief, and I think, why the fuck aren't more people using this timed release stuff? When I started taking it, it changed everything. I don't feel drugged, at all, but I still do feel some pain intermittently. But it's not the same pain as before, I can't even rate it, 2, 4 times more. That's all I can say about it. What I don't understand is why so many people have pain and why so few are using what works for me? I just don't get it?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters