The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Howdy (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Howdy
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted June 17, 2019 06:50 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
LOL, Koko, Have a farm I have helped before when the coyotes were strafing their dog. Ran into the lady last year and asked her how things were going. Said they were fine. Asked about her dog, and she just laughed and said, "Well, we didn't have a dog for awhile, then one showed up. Next thing I know, that sumbitch had a collar and a name, so yeah, I guess we have a dog now."

www, those deckers are sharp looking dogs. I was never one to have dogs in the house. Dogs were utilitarian, but these two rats have turned me around. Harley, then older of the two, has seizures and an assload of little tumors everywhere. Doc says they're fatty tumors and they don't seem to cause him any discomfort, but I worry about him like he's one of the kids.

The only downside (at first) to having a rat terror is the eventual need for two. They can be very calm and obedient, then BAM! Rat ATTACK. Running laps aropund the house or yard until they run out of gas, catch their breath, and then there they go again. Had an old guy had an intact male and he told me he couldn't keep up with him and was considering rehoming him elsewhere. Said he hated to do it because he really loved the dog. Told him he wouldn't like my advice, but the best thing to do was to get another one for the first one to play with. He did and couldn't be happier. We now introduce Harley as our dog, and "That's Harley's dog, Taz"

[ June 17, 2019, 06:56 PM: Message edited by: Cdog911 ]

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 17, 2019 08:54 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
There you go with the lingo again. Are you guys talking about a Jack Russel?

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31466 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted June 18, 2019 02:55 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
No, it's code speak for the free market Asian Sex Slave trade. Never heard of Kinky Kansas ???

[Wink]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7584 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted June 20, 2019 05:02 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Rat terror is a play on rat terrier, aka ratties. Totally different critter than Jack Russells, or Parson's terriers. Ratties are rumored to be descendants from breeding whippets and beagles and sundry other lesser breeds that were used for controlling rats and vermin on farmsteads in the early 30's and 40's. Current record for a rat terrier is like 2400-something in a day. There are actually groups of guys that get together and toss hay barns and grain stores to put rats in front of their dogs. I chose ratties over JRT's because ratties are more manageable, more inclined to be an indoor dog, less willful, and very unlikely to dig. The Decker mentioned is a selectively bred RT that was bred to be larger than the standard. My two are about 9 and 16 pounds. A Decker runs upwards of 25+ pounds, but possesses many of the same features of the standard rat.

Jack Russells have no real breed standard, are a mish mash of terrior breeds, and come in many shapes and sizes. JRT's are more likely to dig holes to go to ground such as under your fence, and tend to be less child friendly than ratties.

My two rats are very, very people oriented. Per the breeder's advice, we introduced Harley to 200 total strangers his first four months. No timidness in him at all. Taz is very meek, and very cautious around people, but once she gets a sense of security around you, you're friends for life, like it or not. As is typical for rats, they love people. They sleep in bed with one of us every night and will get right under the blankets with you. Harley had one accident the day after we got him at 5 weeks old. Has never deliberately violated his house breaking even one other time in his life. Taz was a tougher nut to crack. Took a couple weeks to get it deeply engrained. 6 years later, all I have to do is look at her and ask, "Did you poop in my house?" and her head falls, hips drop and her soul is all but crushed until I make up to her again. Enough to make you cry. She sells it well. I train my inside dogs verbally. They really have to fuck up to get swatted. Just use my voice. They need the sense of security as pack animals to be part of a pack. I let them know I'm the alpha from day one and they embrace that. As soon as I walk in the door, they're at my feet, stubby little tails twitching, waiting for me to acknowledge them. If I don't, it really seems to genuinely bug them, until I do. Once done, they go on with their lives. If they screw up somehow, they get "the voice" which usually sends them scrambling for their kennels which have stayed since they first got here. The kennels are their "alamo". If they get into the kennel, they are safe and I stand down. Funny enough, I've often found one or the other in their kennel looking guilty, essentially self-reporting, and that's when we start looking around to see what they did. Harley recently self-reported after Mama left a bag of marshmallows unattended. Turns out he REALLY likes marshmallows. Ate 3/4 of the bag. When he was little, he ate most of a bag of empty water balloons the kids left laying around. Spent the next several days picking up the most colorful turds you've ever seen. LOL

Have never had a dog that was as consistent and well mannered as a rattie.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted June 21, 2019 03:24 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Terriers are not a dog you want if you are not going to be involved all day everyday during training they are high energy and get bored easily once trained they are a delight. Mine are kenneled outdoors because of their size 40+ lbs. Airedales are the largest of the terriers and are relentless hunters not an ounce of quit in either of them. I use training collars I use the vibrate mode to call them in when we are afield I rarely use the shock mode but do so for their safety like Prairie rattler's and such. on any day going out on a trip or not they are released from the kennel at least twice a day for walks with me or to just play while we are outside with them. they return to the kennel when called and happily go in they like it there ! when released they attack each other in a playful way and invite me to join in the bruises on my arms are proof we call them alligators with fur !

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 21, 2019 06:35 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess everybody has their concept, the perfect dog. Now before, Lance said that dogs, specifically hounds, (my favorite) don't belong in the house. More recently he says his rat terriers not only stay inside, but get under the covers with him, sores and all?

When ever I think of Airedales, I think of JohnHenry and his pack of totally undisciplined dogs. I'm just not very crazy about dogs with curly fur. They do tend to drag a lot of the outdoors inside with them, not that they are unclean or anything.

I heard, one time, that the origin of terriers in general is kind of mysterious, they just showed up, somewhere in England or Scotland or maybe Ireland? But, everybody does seem to agree that they are, as we might say, a breed apart. Now, I have heard that Airedales are the largest terrier but what exactly makes them a terrier? Do they have an extra set of molars, or something distinctive that anybody can see, that identifies them and makes them different? Or is it strictly something in their behavior?

I am really conflicted on these Blue Tic pups of my son's. I have not owned a dog since my Redbone died probably 20 years ago and she was a wonderful pet, even if she thought she could lick a barrel full of German Shepards or coyotes, no matter. And coud climb a tree like a monkey. I just know that there was never another dog that smelled her ass.

Anyway, I don't even know how to get a pup from Mississippi, other than driving down there, and that's not a very interesting proposition.

Good hunting. El Bee

[ June 21, 2019, 06:38 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31466 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted June 21, 2019 08:01 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
I have known some great hounds couple of boys I grew up with from Oklahoma had a hound that used to see me coming and climb to the top of a tree to greet me ! we had a still in their backyard good guys great dog ! another friend had a redbone named Elvis he was a hell of a dog ! My tricolor walker Ol Blue
was a shit bag could not stay home and I lived on 475 acres !

[ June 21, 2019, 08:02 AM: Message edited by: Paul Melching ]

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters