The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Howdy (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Howdy
earthwalker
Cultural Editor & middleweight arm wrestling champion/Intermountain Region
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted June 03, 2019 03:43 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Spring is flying by fairly fast. Or it sure seems like it.
If not at work in the high country cutting wood or building raised beds for the garden.
My carrots are up and doing well along with the first batch of radishes. Have pulled them all up and replanted. My asparagus is doing good I guess having never planted it before or raised it. Out of 12 crowns have 7 or 8 plants up. I know not to pick this season and just a little next year. I have onions coming out my ears thanks to the other half buying a half pound of yellows and half pound of whites. Also have 2 gardens going one at each place. I think I won't have time to turn around. Hoping the garden down in the valley is okay as we've been getting major rain/lightning storms in the afternoons.
Last week of Monday through Friday working. Go on lookout schedule Sunday the 9th.
Have cut a couple loads of firewood already. Snow still blocking the upper elevations so getting into the lodge pole will be a little longer. Been cutting mainly red fir. A lot of dead wood up here due to bugs or fire. So cutting is easy and close by. Drive over 12 miles you're doing something wrong. LOL
Hoping to start going to the shooting range once on lookout time. Finally got the shoulder settled down and can use it again. Just other parts of the body acting up. The knee has a big lateral meniscus tear along with a lot of arthritis. See the surgeon the 12. Being old sucks.

--------------------
another long hot smoky summer coming

Posts: 1105 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 03, 2019 05:52 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Getting old? Tell me about it! Like logistics nobody else deals with. I'll be having a epidural procedure as soon as I can gain an actual slot and coordinating it with my neighbor across the street who has a firm date for his knee replacement, and sure as hell, there's likely a conflict! I'm so old fashioned, I don't even have an app for Uber, yet.

What is it with radishes? If there was ever a tiny seed that could make one feel like he has a green thumb, just plant a few radishes. It's so satisfying!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted June 03, 2019 08:13 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I plant cactus.
The rabbits eat the cactus.
I eat the rabbits.
Am I a farmer or a hunter ???

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7580 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted June 03, 2019 03:19 PM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
KoKo you are an opportunist !

Had company coming had to replace the bathroom floor in our 28 ft. camp trailer bathroom that's where our guests stay so I tore out the carpet as well and refloored the entire trailer with weather as it was got it finished the Thurs. before their Friday arrival. Was shitten my pants , but I made it . Ew you make me ashamed of my old self you still haulin ass !

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 03, 2019 04:17 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Hell, you both shame me. I'm not doing much besides laying in the shade.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

NVWalt
Does not claim to be overly bright!
Member # 375

Icon 1 posted June 04, 2019 03:18 AM      Profile for NVWalt           Edit/Delete Post 
The wife decided she wanted chickens. So it's chicken coup building the last couple days. Funny how a one or two day project turns into an all week type of ordeal. Yep getting older, slower and even more confused.
Leonard, not having an ubber app is ok. Wife got me one of those old flip phones that I don't know where I put it.
I'm supposed to be retired, not a worker bee.
Blackberries are ripening along with everything else and the weather so far has been most tolerable to be out fishing.

--------------------
Support Communism and help destroy the United States of America ! VOTE DEMOCRAT. "In the end, they aren't coming after me. They are coming after you!" D.Trump

Posts: 636 | From: Tellico Plains, TN | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted June 04, 2019 03:57 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Walt;
What ???? !!!! ……….. Not 'Free-Range' chickens ???

Yeah, the older I get, the more I want to be a teen-ager again. I knew everything when I was a teen-ager...……. Now, …. I'm just confused.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7580 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 04, 2019 08:22 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
ko ko, it figures you'd be the one to not understand the concept. Free range doesn't mean they have to squat under a bush all night! These chickens want a secure place to crash and they will go there, even in Tennessee.

I have Pinky's aviary inside, and at one time, I had a Mallard and an Iguana that both would come scratching at the outdoor slider every night, walk right into the aviary and in one case, settle into the corner and in the other, climb a piece of carpet and drop down into her aquarium for the night. That's what good breeding does.

Good hunting. El Bee

PS speaking of which, I have a decision to make as soon as those pups are weened. First, do I want one, and second, boy or girl?

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted June 04, 2019 09:18 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
'Cause I'm confused...……… Remember ??
As in "Wadda ya mean 'She's a hooker ??' I thought she was from the church choir. How'ed we get in this room ??? I'm confused !!!! [Confused]

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted June 04, 2019 09:21 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Pups ????
You got a big place...…. might as well get a couple of them.

--------------------

Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted June 04, 2019 10:04 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Always a bitch males
pee on everything !

--------------------

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 04, 2019 10:35 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I know dat! But it's not a lot, don't be such a poop face! Nobody's perfect!

Actually, you nailed it. I spent some time with a lady once, she had a place down at the river with several ankle biters. One was a male Papillon, and I watched him squirt all over the damned house! I told her the reason for the "musty" smell and Mrs Einstein didn't believe me. You can't fix stupid!

I think my mind is somewhat made up. These are Blue Tick/Red Tick crosses, the mother being Blue Tick, (the little tramp!) in other words, it wasn't planned, but the sire has ribbons, so it wasn't his fault, he's from a good family. In any case there's 3 females to choose from.

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: major problem; they are in Tupelo, Mississippi.

[ June 04, 2019, 10:38 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

earthwalker
Cultural Editor & middleweight arm wrestling champion/Intermountain Region
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted June 04, 2019 12:22 PM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
LB, you don't have the legs for hunting behind a hound.
Neither do I. [Razz]

At the mountain top today. Nice quiet day. Breeze is just right cool enough and keeping the bugs at bay.

Road trip tomorrow to take a look at the other mountain top in the Owyhees.

Eight hour days are a breeze will go on 10.5 hour days next week.

Gardens doing okay about to kill me though keeping up with all of it.

I didn't say getting old I said being old isn't fun. My mom always said she had a ball growing old. Being old sucks.

--------------------
another long hot smoky summer coming

Posts: 1105 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 04, 2019 01:41 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I see elderly people all the time. Does anybody else have the impulse to ask them how old they are? I mean, I think about it and guess, but it would be kind of fun to keep score, how many you get right per week. However, then I think, how many of them are going to tell me to fuck off? Might not be the best way to make friends.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

NVWalt
Does not claim to be overly bright!
Member # 375

Icon 1 posted June 05, 2019 01:35 AM      Profile for NVWalt           Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard, while hounds are pretty nice dogs they are hunters and you will really never get that broke out of them. Chasing a hound on a Jazzy doesn't quit get it. Get you something like a Golden Doodle.female, Beautiful, smart, more than loving with a soft mouth and talk about a chick magnet. If I wasn't married I could go crazy thinking I am a gigilo, Those women love mine and want to always take her home with them. Just saying.
As for those stinking chickens. I roughly figured out how many dozen eggs you would have to get to break even on what I have spent already and it gets to be in the hundreds. Why I ask, when we already get them free from the neighbors. What a guy won't do to maintain domestic bliss.

--------------------
Support Communism and help destroy the United States of America ! VOTE DEMOCRAT. "In the end, they aren't coming after me. They are coming after you!" D.Trump

Posts: 636 | From: Tellico Plains, TN | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted June 05, 2019 03:32 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Lenbo
My Airedales are hunters, get a herding dog they tend to stay home hunters will run off at the drop of a hat ! I have correction collars on mine and walk them each morning bout a mile and a half I built a drag and made a road through my property they now go and check every bush on my land and then kennel up but that was no easy trick it has taken me a while to make this happen , I used to spend a bit of time finding them or waiting for them to come home. You remember my little cattle dog (bump on the head April) Loyal to a fault never left the homestead and kept all the cows and critters off her land ! I once had a tri color walker hound I lived on 475 acres and he could not stay home I was always getting phone calls hey mister I think I have your dog . One day a guy called telling me he had the most beautiful hound he had ever seen I said if you like him keep him that was the end of that.

[ June 05, 2019, 03:37 AM: Message edited by: Paul Melching ]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 05, 2019 07:33 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
But. I have a problem with designer dogs and dogs bred with no earthy redeeming qualities. Pampered. I figure a hound is a "real" dog, an honest dog, no pretenses. I have a fenced yard but that didn't really help with my Redbone. She would hop up on the top of the block wall and travel way down the block, hop into somebody's yard and eat their dog food and come back when she was ready. Or, she would get into their trash and their dog (that was inside), would get blamed. One guy has a wood fence and that didn't stop her, she would walk along the upper 2X4 just like a cat, in fact, she was a great tree climber, unless it was straight up, no branches. I never saw a dog more serious about defending her ass! She would not let another dog sniff her butt. Period. What I'm looking for is a reincarnation.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted June 05, 2019 08:18 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard, might I suggest visiting a local dog shelter? Ya never know, ya might just feel a connection to a dog that is in need of a savior...

Just sayin, even if ya have a good idea of what kinda dog ya want, there's a chance that a pound pup could melt your heart and be an ever grateful & loyal companion to you!

If your canine priorities lean more toward a having a 'pal', than it does to have hard wired hunter, mebbe ya see one at the pound that 'speaks to you' in the way that only a good dog can...

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 05, 2019 08:49 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been to the no kill animal shelter about four times. All the dogs are rowdy, don't seem friendly, at all. The "cat house" is more friendly, believe it or not? None bark at you, many come up to you, some sit in your lap, none run away. It's strange, I know. I saw a litter of very nice looking pups one time, was tempted, but they wouldn't come up to me, they were in a chainlink enclosure and huddled in the middle. Shrug.

But these hound pups are my son's and he gets a good price for them but I'm not paying a dime, you can be sure of that!

Good Hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted June 05, 2019 08:55 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
My family raised coon and bear hounds back in the day... IN CALIFORNIA...my first job ever...not by choice..was feeding 10-15 dogs every morning then shoveling shit in the afternoon. Had all manner of hounds, but Walkers were my favorite. Those bastards could run, and would climb a tree in a second, as high as they could get...then youd have to get their asses down half the time after the bear or coon or bobcat jumped the tree or was shot. Also, if a porcupine was within 5 miles they would get into it, and the rest of the night was spent pulling quills...geezus I hated that.

Mark

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted June 05, 2019 11:56 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Kudos Leonard, for going to browse with an open mind. Tough conditions for a dog to show its true personality. I wouldn't doubt that if ya saw a dog that caught your eye and wasn't a complete psycho, you'd be ale to get it lined out pretty quick. After all, you useta have a poodle, right? LOL

Since you're gettin the 'family discount' for a pup, then all I can say is: Delta cargo! Couple of hurdles to jump to get a pup shipped, but it weren't too bad when I did it...

P.s, Mark: ONE tree climber is plenty enough!

[ June 05, 2019, 11:58 AM: Message edited by: knockemdown ]

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted June 05, 2019 01:47 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
FWIW; The BEST dog I ever had was a rescue mutt from the pound.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 05, 2019 03:12 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, these guys at the shelter acted like friggin' GUARD DOGS! Kinda funny, when you think about it? And the price was about $160, half that for a cat. But, it's not really rescue when they aren't going to the gas chamber in the morning, like at the so called Humane Society.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted June 05, 2019 07:05 PM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
My little doxie was rescue took two years to turn her around best dog ever !

--------------------

Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted June 06, 2019 05:50 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like about a 30* temp swing since this time yesterday.

Earth probably watched the storm roll in ?

Walt, I hear ya on chicken's. I supply my neighbors with eggs. Had a few die off, probably still $30-40 bucks a month to feed my six.

Chicken house came with the place. I see my "other" neighbor just built a nice chicken house. Until his dog fucked with my goats. He had free eggs !!

I'm almost tired of eggs. No biggie though. We should get down to a couple of chickens sooner or later ?

[ June 06, 2019, 05:51 PM: Message edited by: Dave Allen ]

Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters