The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Had a roller...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Had a roller...
earthwalker
Cultural Editor & middleweight arm wrestling champion/Intermountain Region
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted April 12, 2019 08:46 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
this morning.
Hit around 0445. Couldn't figure why the bed was rolling. Then the pocket doors rattled and banged together.
USGS said 3.4 on White Valley Mtn several miles to my west. I can see some of the mountain from the house.
Nothing cracked, fell off the walls, no water leaking or spraying to the sky. Not quite the way I like to wake up in the mornings.

--------------------
another long hot smoky summer coming

Posts: 1105 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted April 12, 2019 10:34 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I've been thru not one but two 6.5 earthquakes. Northridge & Nisqually. Anything under a 5 only serves to remind that one should be prepared for a serious one.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7577 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted April 12, 2019 11:34 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't make the news, here?

When we do have a shaker, all the local hispanic community starts sleeping in the public parks for a week or two afterwards. Mildly amusing.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31450 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted April 12, 2019 04:21 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Supposedly, I've been through a half-dozen little 3.something or others here in Kansas. Never felt any of them, yet one of my neighbors will ask me the next day if I felt it, too. Occasionally will find a picture on the wall askew so I guess that's something. Used to never happen. Anymore, I guess we have more earthquakes than we do any other natural events.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted April 13, 2019 04:00 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Been through a few the most notable was in the 50's in San Fernando as a child I remember watching the street roll like the ocean and then the Sylmar quake while I was dressing for work sounded like a locomotive coming through the house for the Northridge quake I was in Az. working a project my wife got to go that one alone. No phones could not get any first hand info till late in the day she went to the top of a hill and the call came through !

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted April 13, 2019 04:33 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
SE Idaho by Soda Springs has been shaking over the last month and over by Lima MT has been doing some shaking lately. Nothing big but enough to get ones attention.

I was in down town Boise when the big one hit under Mount Boarh.
Killed a little girl due to a brick facade on a building falling off. Neighbor said it was wild for a while.
You can see the land drop down by the center of the quake.
We were driving through town and everyone was standing in the doorways took a while for us to figure it out. Our dog was in the back of the truck and at every stop light he would look at the ground. We thought he needed to go do his thing.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 13, 2019 05:48 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
That big San Francisco earthquake, not the one in 1906, the one when the world series was being played and the fucking freeways were collapsing and trapping 50 cars under bridges, etc. Well, my daughter, who met her future husband in college, had just moved up there a week before and we had no contact information, if you can remember before I-phones? Well, as any parent would, we were worried until she got around to contacting us about a week later. She didn't understand the fuss because she was across the Golden Gate in Marin and they had zero damage on the other side of the San Andreas Fault. Like, how were we to know that? The Media never said, don't forget, although the Oakland bay Bridge fell down and the I-980 is closed forever, the folks up in San Rafael didn't feel a thing.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted April 13, 2019 05:52 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Forgot all about the Sylmar Quake. Quite an event for a kid from back east.

One thing we learned; The copper lines on water heaters tend to get old and brittle. They crack & leak if the water heater's not secure from the shaking. After the Northridge Quake, there was a run on them even at $50 a set. Hell of a deal to finally get Utilities back on and still not be able to take a shower. Only takes a bit of time while you're waiting for the bbq charcoal to glow to strap down the hearer and hang a spare set of flex lines close by.
And while you're at it …………………… Buy a cheap wrench at a yard sale, wrap it in an oily rag, Zip-Loc it and hang it next to your gas shut-off valve. Hopefully, you'll never need it.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7577 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted April 13, 2019 06:37 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Good advice KOKO when I was in the peoples republic I had a crescent wrench permanently attached to my gas meter !

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Knows what it's all about
Member # 3918

Icon 1 posted April 13, 2019 06:46 AM      Profile for www           Edit/Delete Post 
Coalinga earthquake . I was about 40 miles away from the epicenter.I can't imagine what it was like in town. Pretty much destroyed downtown.
Posts: 191 | From: Wyoming | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 13, 2019 07:50 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
As far as feedlots go, where would we rank Coalinga against the midwest or Chicago? It just seems like a hell of a lot of beef!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted April 13, 2019 07:55 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Just looked at the quake map and it looks like on the 11th there was a smaller quake up the country on the Yellow Jacket mountains.

Just glad we don't have gas into the house and no underground gas lines up here other than the small ones from the tank to what ever you are using it for. We installed a back up generator for such emergencies. It's across the parking lot at a good distance from the house.

This winter in McCall had a house blow up from a cracked gas line and it was leaking in under the house. The teenager kept telling her guardian she could smell gas and he kept saying it's just a closed up house smell. Well the furnace kicked on and the house exploded he's dead and she is recovering. They figured the snow came off the roof and cracked the line when it hit the meter/ground area.

--------------------

Knows what it's all about
Member # 3918

Icon 1 posted April 14, 2019 07:40 AM      Profile for www           Edit/Delete Post 
That's not beef you're smelling [Smile]
Posts: 191 | From: Wyoming | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters