The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Camping (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Camping
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted May 17, 2019 02:27 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
I used to pour syrup on my hot cakes from a can that looked like that log cabin. I was told by some anthropology mucky muck that our indigenous people are not indigenous. I don't recall the details ( don't get old) but they came here from somewhere else.

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted May 17, 2019 03:42 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Paul;
You are likely thinking of the Bering Land Bridge and the Migration from Asia.
Our local college extension is Discovery Park. Before he retired, it was run by Dean Swanson. Think style meets flair and that was Dean Swanson. About once a month he would hold open to the public lectures on any number of topics, Anthropology being his strong suit. We had some interesting conversations. One of them was about the Migration from Alaska all the way to South America. I don't remember the exact dates (don't get old) but in the span of a few generations, people without the wheel settled two continents.
My contention was that there is something screwy with the time-line.
Consider;
You're migrating south from Alaska along the coast. It's cold. Keep moving south.
Washington / Oregon. Not as cold but damp & raining non-stop. Keep moving south.
Arrive at the Sacramento River. Mountains to the East, ocean to the West & Delta in between. Climate is really good. Time to settle down with no reason to move until the abundant resources are depleted. Explorers from the group return with reports of a desert farther South called Mojave. You don't want to go there.
Sooooo …………………. The Migration most likely stalled for a long time in Calif. The Ancient Ones may have been savages but they weren't stupid. They knew a good thing when they saw it and would not have continued south until they had to.

And then there's Clovis. The last that I heard, those people were a 'problem' with the time-line, also.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7580 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted May 17, 2019 03:48 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Recent thought has them coming in two distinct waves, with the earliest coming down the coast by boat.

The timeline has been moved back by thousands of years.

Estimates of pre Columbian population have been greatly increased, too. New imaging technology is showing vast complexes of buildings, roads and canals that were unknown ten years ago. Only explanation for them is there were way, way more people living here than previously imagined.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 17, 2019 10:12 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, that's true, what Dave is alluding to. A hell of a lot of "people" scattered all over the place including the Caribs inhabiting the islands south of Florida.

And don't forget the mysterious Mound People. The physical things they accomplished would rival the Pyramids. Yet, almost nothing is known of them.

At least the Aztecs and Mayans had somewhat of a written language. But just think about that for a minute; many thousands of people. So land bridges may come and go, but once they got here, they got busy and multiplied.

Sometimes you think of scattered bands, as ko ko mentioned, the very interesting Clovis People hunting mastodons. Just imagine cornering a beast of several thousand pounds with spears! And, apparently they were very good at it.

I think that probably the physical history of the New World is yet to be reviled. There is so much we don't know. Including, throughout human history, the rise and curious fall of so many vibrant civilizations.

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: another shaky timeline concerns the land bridge caused by the Ice Ages between 18,000 and 14,000 years ago. Maybe the people in Siberia knew about the prime lands if they could only get there? When considering the earliest "guesses" and the fact that there have been excavations way down in South America that have been dated almost that far back, that they must have scooted many thousands of miles to get there, and right away! In some ways, it doesn't make sense? Conflict with entrenched populations only explains a little bit. There is a lot of room for a lot of theory. LB

edit: I know I'm probably not alone, when tramping the wilderness. You know the feeling that nobody has ever stepped in these steps before? It's nice to think that, but it's also possible that humans have trampled all over those places where you think you are the first to be there.

Just for instance, I pay a lot of attention to the most durable artifacts, specifically-rocks. When you know what to look for it's easy to spot tools and implements, and there it is! People have wandered all over the place where you think nobody has ever set foot. It's a fascinating subject!

[ May 17, 2019, 10:34 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 17, 2019 01:10 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I don’t know who else might find this interesting, but I think it’s remarkable, and very clever for a people that run around in the jungle naked.

There is a tribe in very remote interior of Brazil. And there are anthropologists just barely able to study them from afar.

Well, one thing that they noticed was that they had a rare tree that they visited rather frequently. Now, I forgeif it was edible fruit or some medication for sickness, but it definitely had a very important use.

However, the tree was covered with vicious thorns, and the fruit was way up there, no way to just throw rocks up there.

At first the scientists thought it was so lucky that there was another tree right next to the unclimbable one. Then they found out that when they asked around and were guided to other rare trees, every one of them just happened to have that same, very easy to climb tree right beside the rare valuable tree.

So it turned out that the Indians admitted that they or some long gone relative had planted the adjacent tree for only that one purpose, as a ladder to make it easy to get at the good stuff.

Now, I don’t know about you guys, but I think that’s pretty damned clever!

Good hunting. El Bee 🐝

[ May 17, 2019, 01:30 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted May 17, 2019 01:57 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, amazing that 'uneducated' people could survive & thrive in areas where modern man would suffer greatly.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7580 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted May 18, 2019 05:53 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Something kind of hard to grasp, is that much of the area I do a lot of my farting around in, was more densely populated a thousand years ago than it is today.

The trade network Leonard mentioned, it ran from Central America to the Ohio Valley. With branches shooting off to probably every corner of the continent. This was happening a couple thousand years ago.

I have found arrowheads in Nevada, that according to the books I have, are supposed to be from the Great Lakes region. For instance.

What most people don't appreciate, is the enormity of the depopulation that took place in the interior of the continent well ahead of European exploration and settlement. Early visitors brought diseases that spread far beyond early explorations. By the time settlement and regular contact was happening in the interior, what those early settlers and explorers were making contact with was a remnant population of apocalyptic survivors. With little trace of previously well developed civilizations intact. That context has never really been understood by the vast majority.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted May 18, 2019 06:07 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
KoKo so what you are saying is that most likely Nancy Pelosi is from Sacramento ! (*as in abundant recourses depleted ) lol I love this stuff so much to learn and discover history is fascinating !

[ May 18, 2019, 06:10 AM: Message edited by: Paul Melching ]

--------------------

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 18, 2019 07:16 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
DAVE, you are so right to point that out for those that haven't pondered the changes in the vast interior that we are talking about. In some cases, it was the depleting of such basic resources such as water, or even wood for fire, not for warmth, just for basic cooking needs. You have to step back and wonder how some of these barren locations held a large population and right now, you think about it and don't see how it could?

Well, it's because of these CLIMATE CHANGE ASSHOLES! The climate changes! You could say it's because of an Ice Age, or more probably SUN SPOTS! These pathetic people think they can control earth climate by regulating carbon credits! It's like a Border Collie who has to herd sheep, it's in their DNA. CONTROL FREAKS.

Where was I? Okay, the climate changes imperceptibly and next thing you know, Paul gets the vapors down in Phoenix. It happens. It seems obvious that there are places on this earth that are more suitable for habitation than others. All we need to do is wait a few millennium and Phoenix will revert to a tropical paradise. If you can't wait, stay away!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted May 18, 2019 07:55 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
The Sonoran desert was once a tropical rain forest !

--------------------

Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted May 18, 2019 01:01 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Amazing how modern technology has improved our abilities to discover ancient cultures. In southern Kansas, along the Oklahoma border near the present day community of Arkansas City (pronounced Ar-Kansas) archaeologists recently announced public tours of what, in the 1400's, is now regarded to be one of, if not the, largest indigenous communities in the United States. Spanish records told of a huge encampment of over 2,000 "homes" across several miles of the prairie with as many as 10 people in each home, a total population of over 20,000 Plains Indians who were all of the Etzanoa Tribe, ancestors to the Wichita Tribe.

https://www.kansas.com/news/state/article208617349.html

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted June 02, 2019 11:43 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Annual Ghost Town Tour over this weekend. Led 13 other vehicles, about 20 people, 300 miles of dirt, didn't see anyone besides ourselves.

Sun, rain, hail, snow, dust, mud, one broken sway bar axle mount, one broken brake hard line, one shredded sidewall, one snow stuck, a bunch of mud stucks, snow ball fights, people afraid they were going to run out of gas, ghost towns, mines, trains, wet sage and pine smell, campfires, whiskey, cigars, steaks, homemade cookies and pies, smiles, smiles-smiles and TOO MUCH FUN! Had an absolute blast.

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

- DAA

--------------------

DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted June 02, 2019 11:47 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
More...

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

- DAA

--------------------

DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted June 02, 2019 11:50 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
More...

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

That's all!

- DAA

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 02, 2019 05:54 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Dave!

Brings back memories, looks like might be White Pine County? I shot one of the biggest male bobcats, back when non residents could hunt them, very close to Atlanta.

You are pretty awesome! I hope those people appreciated your expertise because they never would have made it without you.

Good hunting. El Bee

PS man I just marvel at the gumption of those guys humping all that machinery into actual wilderness!

edit: I don't remember ever seeing you with that much hair on your face?

[ June 02, 2019, 06:00 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

DiYi
Wears wife's pink panties under his camo for good luck. (yeah, right!)
Member # 3785

Icon 1 posted June 03, 2019 02:52 AM      Profile for DiYi           Edit/Delete Post 
'Excursion'indeed.Thanks once again Dave.
Posts: 623 | From: SoDak | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted June 03, 2019 02:53 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Leonard.

Some White Pine, some Nye.

I'm behind the camera, can't see the hair on my face [Big Grin] .

- DAA

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 03, 2019 05:57 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
You're still awesome, Dave. Beard and all! But get rid of it as soon as you can! ko ko thinks I don't trust people that hide their faces.

Of course a few Nye County photos! I could have labeled them, myself. Damn, I love it up there! It smells like FREEDOM!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted June 03, 2019 08:17 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Lol...that Excursion!

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted June 03, 2019 03:31 PM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
D v
K p th b rd ,L n rd g t y r r m !

I warned ya! You people just don't listen!

[ June 03, 2019, 09:05 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted June 03, 2019 08:58 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------

Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted June 04, 2019 02:42 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
LOLLOLLOL!
Looks like a fabulous trip I love the old mining operations always wondered how hard was it to get all that equipment out there when we could barely get there as it was.
I have never found a mine I could stay out of, went in one up in the San Juan's near Ouray Colo. when I finally came out it had snowed all my roads were gone got a little sketchy !

Leonard are going to mail me vowels back ?

[ June 04, 2019, 02:48 AM: Message edited by: Paul Melching ]

--------------------

DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted June 04, 2019 03:04 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll shave my beard if you'll give Paul his vowels back [Big Grin] .

Oh, wait, I don't have a beard...

- DAA

--------------------

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters