The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » My gun buying adventure (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: My gun buying adventure
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 21, 2019 09:47 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't know I was getting it, they failed to tell me about it. They supplied 2 keys and I engaged it for the hell of it. Not impressed. But eliminating it sounds complicated?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31459 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted March 21, 2019 06:47 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Easy fix, if you decide you don't want the ILS mainspring housing, Ive added a link, take a peek and for a few bucks you can make it just like a real 1911!

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=334332

Posts: 1627 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 22, 2019 12:21 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, thanks.

I'm wondering what happens to the "key way"? When you remove the spring and the inserted parts, that little two dot window. I didn't see it as discarded or is it still in place but doesn't affect anything by operating it?

Maybe I missed something? Is the operator still in place but it doesn't lock anything after the modification?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Semp
GOLD STAR MEMBER
Member # 3074

Icon 1 posted March 22, 2019 05:31 AM      Profile for Semp           Edit/Delete Post 
Replace the main spring housing and you no longer have a key way. That link AZ posted shows exactly what to do.

--------------------
Always remember: That court appointed psychiatrist is not your friend.

Posts: 406 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 22, 2019 08:22 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
The whole thing? I thought the spring and the inserts top and bottom but I didn't understand that the whole back part is replaced. If so, that would explain why the hole is gone.

I'm sure it will become clear when the parts arrive, whenever, if I do it. But I am not sure about 19 pound springs and filing parts that might hang up on the grip safety.

However, I'm not sure it's something to worry about except on principle, and don't worry, I get that part.

Besides, if the whole concept is to keep some toddler from blowing his head off after finding my cannon under the bed, they went to a lot of trouble for nothing because I'm fresh out of rug rats and have been for quite a while.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 22, 2019 08:30 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Now, somebody explain to me why anybody would want this same 1911 Springfield, big heavy classic, and get it in 9mm? What the hell is the attraction there? Just so it's compatible with NATO? ha ha

I could see maybe 40S&W, but a puny 9mm, which I have little use for, but what the hell, I bought one just to see what all the fuss was about. It's pleasant enough to shoot, but so is my Browning Camper.

Please give me a good logical reason, like owning a matched set, or something? How about it? You want a 9mm, get a fucking Glock! Duh!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

4949shooter
SECOND PLACE HIGGINS (MAGNUM P.I.) LOOK A LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted March 22, 2019 12:57 PM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard, just a word of advice as a friend...those 185 grain Golden Sabres are loaded on the hot side. I shot them in a 1911 a few years back and the recoil caused the slide stop to break. You might want to get a heavier recoil spring if you are going to use them. Wolff Gunsprings has a 20 or 22 pound spring and they are inexpensive.
Posts: 2274 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 22, 2019 04:08 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, l will look into it. Thanks. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted March 22, 2019 05:10 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Food for thought;
Remove an unneeded safety feature and at some time in the future the weapon ends up in the hands of some clod who leaves it where a kid can find it and shoot himself.
The lawyers would be lining up to sue your ass. Even more so in Calif.

You also might want to check that it's even legal to remove a safety device in Calif.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7579 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted March 23, 2019 03:41 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard never parts with a gun KOKO! wont happen if it does he'll be deceased !

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted March 23, 2019 05:17 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
You don't think that would stop a lawyer from going after the estate and causing all kinds of grief for the family, do you ??

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7579 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted March 23, 2019 07:09 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
lawyers should be first on the exterminators list just before roaches.

[ March 23, 2019, 10:02 AM: Message edited by: Paul Melching ]

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 23, 2019 03:40 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, ko ko! Where'd you go to summer camp? Obama P.U.?

I'm hoping, if somebody steals my gun, whatever state it's in, I'm absolved of responsibility, even if it has cop killer bullets in it. But, as you point out, this IS The People's Republik, so perhaps intelligent, sane policies do no apply?

But thanks for worrying the heck out of me and I will no doubt lose sleep tonight.

In fact, I still have a couple of stolen and reported firearms that never showed up and, if somebody gets killed in a holdup, The first place they will look is ME. Even though they were reported stolen many years ago. They told me, at the time that most stolen firearms go to Mexico. Why not?
I bet they have a hard time figuring out what that 25'06Ackley is?

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: you know, since the Mexican government is always worried about a rebellion, they have guns in Mexico but a bunch of rules restricting any and everything that has a military ring to it, no military cartridges allowed and that's why they like 1911's but they are all chambered in 38Super. No 308's or 30'06's or 5.56Nato. Just a casual survey indicates to me that the 270Winchester is probably the most popular rifle cartridge in Mexico., That or 25/35, or some obscure 348Winchester, just so long as it's not a scary "military" cartridge. They are way overdo for a second revolution, them bastards!

[ March 23, 2019, 03:50 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Semp
GOLD STAR MEMBER
Member # 3074

Icon 1 posted March 29, 2019 07:38 AM      Profile for Semp           Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of stolen guns, my BIL had a 30-30 Winchester stolen out of his truck. He reported it. Two years later it was recovered in a bank robbery in Texas.

--------------------
Always remember: That court appointed psychiatrist is not your friend.

Posts: 406 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 13 posted March 29, 2019 08:30 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, it happens. I have had four guns stolen, only one recovered, thus far.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters