The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Ruins and rock art (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Ruins and rock art
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted November 22, 2018 05:05 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Took a weekend off from coyote hunting last weekend, to do a little trip that has been on my list a long time. Place called Horse Canyon. It's inside Canyonlands nat'l park.

Long story short, the park service has had the road closed for years. It was last open in 2012, for a few weeks. My buddies went, but I had a family trip to Yellowstone and couldn't make it. Before I could get there, road got closed again. It opened again recently, finally, who knows for how long, so I jumped on it.

Bunch of my pics to follow. But, my friend Randy, one of the guys I did the trip with, did a full write up on his blog: Horse Canyon Trip Report

You should check out his TR for more pics and a full run down. He's a fantastic photographer, has exhibits and such.

Anyway, some of my pics...

-

-

Pretty sketchy climb to a narrow ledge to get out to these, neither of my buddies attempted it.

-

My friend Jared taking a pic of the three faces from a safe distance. You can kinda see what I had to work with getting to them.

-

More stuff...

-

There is a ruin up there on the right side of that big alcove. And a ladder going up to it from below in that black stripe.

-

-

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted November 22, 2018 05:17 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
And more pics...

Paul Bunyon's potty

-

You can see Jared and Randy scaling the far wall in these. Coming back down was scary.

-

-

More stuff...

-

-

-

-

-

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted November 22, 2018 05:24 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
And more... Hiking this country, can get kinda freaky, lots of twists and turns and ups and downs and sometimes going a long way to get to something right in front of you. This was taking the long way trying to find a route up to a high up ruin.

-

We got to it.

-

Just a bunch of random stuff...

-

-

-

-

-

-

- DAA

--------------------

DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted November 22, 2018 05:28 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
 -

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

- DAA

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 22, 2018 06:18 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Dave. Your stuff is always impressive. Maybe you can take me along on one of these trips. How many days involved, start to finish?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31276 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted November 22, 2018 06:39 PM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
Love this stuff!

Having never seen a place like this, it looks like something that belongs on another planet.

Thanks for sharing the trip.

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
MI VHNTR
I'm not shaving 'til Obama's gone!
Member # 3370

Icon 1 posted November 22, 2018 06:49 PM      Profile for MI VHNTR   Email MI VHNTR         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the usual excellent pictures.

--------------------
The Second Amendment isn't about Hunting. It's about Freedom.

FJB Let's Go Brandon

Posts: 390 | From: MI | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted November 22, 2018 06:55 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard, this one, left my house Friday morning, home Sunday night. Usually like another day but had to make this one kind of short. I love showing people around this stuff. Well, some people [Big Grin] .

Doing a 60 mile, off trail backpack trip not too far from this place in the spring. Have done several long backpacks in the area already with these same two guys. We have a canyon located that nobody we know has ever explored. Can't even find any pictures of it on the internet. Take us two days just to get to it. Going to be rough as hell on my body, but I'm super excited to get way deep in there and see what we can find. Guaranteed that whatever we see very few living souls have ever seen.

- DAA

[ November 22, 2018, 06:56 PM: Message edited by: DAA ]

--------------------

Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted November 22, 2018 07:07 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Just freaking cool. I always find myself amazed at the graffiti left by someone in "1879". How and why were they there? Amazing to me, don't know why.
Mark

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted November 22, 2018 07:13 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, that guy, Art Burrows, was a prospector. Colorful character, a few history buffs like me still know who he was. I know some history about a couple of the other names there, Turner, they were early ranchers in the area.

- DAA

--------------------

Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted November 22, 2018 07:42 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Very nice. I appreciate you taking the time to post all the photos.

We used to do so much of that shit in the ION country without the technology of today. To take photos. It is really amazing what long hikes down canyons & stuff will yield for the explorer ?

I remember cabins-shacks. Whatever with newspapers for insulation. San Francisco Times & such lined them. I remember finding a woman's lace up boot in one of them. It was obvious turn of the century stuff.

We always left things as we found them. Fires have swept thru much of that.

There is always the memory of a wind swept canyon though. And the folks that lived there or survived ? Exploring is exciting & sombering @ the same time.

[ November 22, 2018, 07:47 PM: Message edited by: Dave Allen ]

Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted November 22, 2018 09:04 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Dave; your going to have to snag an old hay wagon and screw down some old seats on it, then you can take a wagon load of us old fucks that can't walk anymore, drive us along on one of your trips. You can narrate via a speaker system as we travel along the canyon bottoms, while you point and tell us the history, have a few stops with refreshments and piss breaks, then give us all a small pottery shard and send us on our way at the end of the day.
On a serious note, I'd love once to be able to see that country, I suppose one day you just won't be able to get in there any longer. Ive found my share of Indian sites, but never anything of the magnitude you show us here, pretty cool shit, that's for sure, thanks for the photo journeys you share with us!

Posts: 1591 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted November 23, 2018 03:31 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Most impressive I've been to Canyonlands several times never saw anything like that ! You never fail to amaze ! Thanks Dave !

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Aznative
FARTS ON CLUELESS LIBERALS
Member # 506

Icon 1 posted November 23, 2018 05:05 AM      Profile for Aznative           Edit/Delete Post 
Nice photos as usual from you. The canyonlands is one place I want to visit. Reading your friend's blog, he reserved a campsite at peakabo so as to not need day passes which raises the question:

Are you allowed to camp on the jeep trail you traveled?

Also, your buddy wrote: " I left work on Friday afternoon and met up with them outside of the Park along the Lockhart Basin Road where we spent the first night since we were able to have a fire here to keep warm on the cold night."

This raises the question are you allowed fires within the park?

I booked marked your buddy's blog so as to use his directions when I finally make the trip to Utah. I'll pipe in here for additional information from you when I plan on going up there. It will be a while before we go.

Thanks again for the photos.

--------------------
Never thought the devil would need a teleprompter but I could be wrong.

United State of America: RIP
Born July 4th 1776 died November 6th 2012

Posts: 1921 | From: Phoenix Az | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted November 23, 2018 05:59 AM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
Very, very cool! Love the pics and seeing the rock art!

--------------------
If we ever forget we are one Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under--Ronald Reagan

Posts: 911 | From: Bob Dole Country | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted November 23, 2018 06:07 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think camping is allowed in Horse canyon, but I'm not 100% sure. But, if it is, it's for backpacking, not driving. We had no choice to use one of the two campsites at Peekaboo (we were the only ones there).

I've walked from Peekaboo a couple times, coming from Salt Creek. Sure was nice driving for a change!

And no campfires in either the Needles, or the Maze, pretty sure not in Island In The Sky either. Not much wood to be had, and charcoal sticks around forever. Many of the Anasazi sites we visit still have campfire charcoal on the ground, over 700 years old.

That's some funny shit Vic! I know just they hay wagon too [Big Grin] . Thought I had a pic of it handy, but just looked and didn't find it. Trust me though, it's perfect!

- DAA

--------------------

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted November 23, 2018 08:06 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome !!!!
Put me down for a rock art / ruins calendar when you make them. [Big Grin]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7488 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 23, 2018 08:19 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Dave, start thinking about that hay wagon. a sound system is a must, you know we're all deaf. "Now, if you look to your right, there is a squaw, ( I mean indian, oops, Native American maiden) hauling water from the creek". Well, imagine, if you will." There will be a 30 minute stop at the Circle K for snow cones and trail mix. NO LITTERING!

On second thought, might not be worth it?

But seriously, I've stumbled across a few sites myself, but like Victor said, nothing on the same scale as what you share with us today. One thing you said, about building fires and the fact that there is so little fuel available. I read a book by Upton Sinclair years ago and the theme was the mystery of it all. They go to the trouble to hide out in those nearly inaccessible canyons and then pack up and leave. The answer, according to him was that same fact, because of drought, no vegetation and what little there was, was needed for cooking, much less for warming up the bare feet around the campfire. The clue was that they were burning their ladders! Now that's starting to get desperate. This was a bad segment of the continuous "climate change" cycle to be building in high desert.

But, you know, a couple nights out there in those spooky canyons and you start believing those mystical Tony Hillerman novels, haunted Kivas, etc.

And another thing. You know, maybe some of you have been down in Organ Pipe right next to Lukeville? The rangers keep a real close eye on the tourists, don't want them picking flowers, etc. So, you said you were the only ones there, but what about park personnel? I don't really like the idea of hiking out with my own solid waste, would much prefer to bury it. So, are you shadowed sometimes, or are you really on your own? Oh, and some of these places are sign in and sign out, aren't they?

Again, you really contribute a lot to the Forum, Dave. We all appreciate it.

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: ko ko, the calendar suggestion is a good one, but how are you going to pick out just 12 photos? Better yet, a 365 day journal type of calendar, minimum. I do not doubt that Dave has enough pics. It's like this. My coyote calendar is still hanging on the wall, what is it now, 3 years old? I'm not throwing it away. Probably much too expensive, never mind. BUT, Dave, old buddy, a coffee table large format book would sell, I bet. I'd buy it.

[ November 23, 2018, 08:30 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Eddie
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4324

Icon 1 posted November 23, 2018 04:45 PM      Profile for Eddie   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
For those of us that may never get to see those places I want to thank you Dave for showing us what a wonderful country we live in.
Posts: 275 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
TRnCO
FUTURE HALL OF FAMER
Member # 690

Icon 1 posted November 24, 2018 09:34 AM      Profile for TRnCO   Email TRnCO         Edit/Delete Post 
Ditto to Eddie. Thanks for sharin' Dave. As always, most awesome pics.

--------------------
Is it hunting season yet? I hate summer!

Posts: 996 | From: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted November 26, 2018 05:05 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Dave, all I can say is that your posts are treasures!!!
Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
NeilA
Knows what it's all about
Member # 6789

Icon 1 posted November 26, 2018 06:29 AM      Profile for NeilA   Email NeilA         Edit/Delete Post 
Sign me up for both the hay wagon and coffee table picture book!

Thank you Dave, I always enjoy your posts.

That tent of yours must have a story. Where/when did you get it?

Posts: 28 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2018  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted November 26, 2018 07:22 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
If he don't see the question, it's "spring something" Dave is nothing if not high tech and cutting edge. Whenever you start getting interested in some NEW stuff, equipment, etc. Dave has had it for at least 5 years. Nothing gets by this guy. Somebody's got to do it!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted November 26, 2018 09:22 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing hi tech about that tent [Big Grin] .

It's a Springbar, have had that particular one for 20 years. Not the oldest Springbar I own, but the most used one.

In all the pictures I post of it, the tent looks poorly pitched. That's because I've never fully staked it out, ever. I only use the three stakes down each side, ignoring the two each front and back. So while it is supposed to use ten stakes, I've never used more than six of them [Big Grin] .

Just, the first time I ever pitched it, was middle of the night, cold as hell, frozen ground and I was only going to be there for about five hours before taking it down again. I figured it would probably stay up okay using just those three stakes each down the sides. And it did. So I have never bothered to use the other ones, in 20 years [Big Grin] . If I've only set it up 25 times a year, which I'd bet I've done it more than that, it would be 500 times I've set it up. Be really conservative, call it 400 times - I mostly don't bother to use a tent in good weather, after all. Could be closer to 600 though, to tell the truth. But it has been used a shit ton no matter how you do the math.

But the thing with me and tents, with rare exception, it's not so much a "camp" as just a place to sleep for the night. Throw the tent up wherever I end up at dark, take it back down and move on before sunrise the next morning. In it's whole life, I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of times that tent has stayed in the same place for more than one night.

- DAA

--------------------

DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted November 26, 2018 09:35 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Tires are looking kinda wore out on the hay wagon...

-

- DAA

--------------------

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters