The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Hunting Thanksgiving morning

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hunting Thanksgiving morning
Eddie
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4324

Icon 1 posted November 16, 2018 05:12 AM      Profile for Eddie   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
In my family it's been a tradition that the men in the family always got up and went deer hunting Thanksgiving morning. It's been going on for 45 years now. Me and the wife had 3 boys and one girl, she was the youngest. So she grew up hunting just like the boys. Well she got married last September and I thought that would be then end of her hunting, because her husband doesn't hunt that much.
Well she called her mom last night and ask what she need to bring for the Thanksgiving meal. The wife told her that they could fix it that morning, Kate said nope couldn't do it because she was going hunting. Wife looked over at me with that look you get when you done something wrong and I just smiled and never said a word.
With all the crap going on in the world it's good to see that some things still stay the same.

[ November 16, 2018, 05:14 AM: Message edited by: Eddie ]

Posts: 275 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted November 16, 2018 05:53 AM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
That is very cool! Kudos to your daughter!

--------------------
If we ever forget we are one Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under--Ronald Reagan

Posts: 911 | From: Bob Dole Country | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted November 16, 2018 05:59 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
That's awesome Eddie. My daughter isn't much for hunting she doesn't have enough patience for it. But she loves to shoot. Hope she doesn't grow out of it. My son just isn't much interested in any of it. He's a better shot than I am even still though.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted November 16, 2018 06:31 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Very cool Thanksgiving tradition Good Job Dad !

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 16, 2018 09:52 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I have to say; "good job Dad" as well. Things like that need to be preserved. Nothing like that, ever, in my family. I have a daughter that never ever had any interest in guns, much less hunting. The Disney Syndrome. And, my son might be a halfway decent shot on game except he has this curious habit. I'll call it a "pop up" because when shooting at game, like a coyote, as soon as he presses the trigger and the gun goes off, he raises his head to check out the results. It's the damnedest thing you ever saw, like a prairie dog popping up out of his hole. Still, all in all, he manages. I just shake my head.

If there is a meal I look forward to more than a Thanksgiving, I don't know what it would be? No, that is the best traditional meal there is. And, since I hosted it last year, for the first time, boy, do I appreciate the work involved! Unbelievable! And, I left something off the table, forget what it was, right now? That's how harried I was! It's much better to be invited and just dig in.

I think 2nd place, for me would be Corned Beef And Cabbage on St Patrick's Day. Started by my wife, dearly departed, when we were first married in the early 60's. But, I look forward to that traditional meal almost as much as a Thanksgiving turkey. (but, it's not even close)

And, another thing. I live in the city, well, suburbs and for me, hunting and fishing has always involved a drive far out of town. You can't do Thanksgiving AND Hunting all on the same day. Sounds lovely, but it don't work around here.

And, Eddie's daughter will have to think about it if she has to host the crew. Same thing, you can't do both. You can't go hunting and still have the gang for a big turkey dinner, can't be done.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31472 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted November 16, 2018 10:12 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Thats awsome Eddie...well done.

We always went pheasant hunting on Thanksgiving growing up. After that I did years of coyote calling on Thanksgiving. Last 5 or 6 years not so much....but this year all bets are off, I may do some bobcat hunting...for sure on black friday.
Mark

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
NeilA
Member # 6789

Icon 1 posted November 16, 2018 05:22 PM      Profile for NeilA   Email NeilA         Edit/Delete Post 
That is terrific Eddie!

My son just turned 10. I asked him what he would like to do this coming summer for a vacation, beach? Camping? Nope.
“I want to go back to Montana gopher shooting with you Daddy” . Okay!

His mother tolerates it, but isn’t thrilled.

Posts: 28 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2018  |  IP: Logged
Eddie
Member # 4324

Icon 1 posted November 16, 2018 05:53 PM      Profile for Eddie   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys!
My Grandpa got me started hunting back in the early 60s.
The boys all took there first deer when they were ten, the daughter was 18 when she got here first one. The frist time she went calling with me we called in one bobcat and two coons no coyotes. Well the cat and coons were out of season so we had to let them pass. She didn't get to shoot anything but she was hooked anyway.

Leonard you are right you can't cook everything and go hunting on the same day.

Dave my youngest son is like your son, he's a heck of a shot but doesn't hunt much after he got out of college.

Posts: 275 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters