The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Hey Leonard (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Hey Leonard
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 10, 2018 08:26 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
We never see pigeons around here, the nuisance ones; "rock doves". But we have a bunch of Bandtailed pigeons that nest in the tallest trees. They are migratory and come back every summer. I guess everybody knows what they look like, very close to the barn birds but they have a white stripe across the back of their head and they all look the same. According to my field guide, they are a half inch longer than the common pigeon, kind of a neat bird but very shy.

Paul can hear coyotes? For me, they better be very close, inside 100 yards or I wouldn't know? In the Army, we used to stick an empty .45 brass in our ears, never had actual earplugs. I'm sure I could have claimed a disability way back then but I was afraid it might delay my discharge, or what was actually called, "separation" and transfer to reserve status, since the total military obligation, (then, at least) was 7 years, total. I had this problem with stupid people telling me what to do, somehow, I wasn't cut out for the military? Oh well, it definitely has value. I think everybody should do 6 months active.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31472 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted July 10, 2018 08:33 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
My hearing is screwed mostly cant hear my wife could be selective! lol if there are two sources of sound I only can recognize one. wife TV oh well

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted July 10, 2018 09:05 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Has anybody tried the Walker Game Ear ??
A friend of mine who's as deaf as I am swears by one for hunting. Said he uses it for a hearing aid sometimes too.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7584 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 10, 2018 01:38 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, that's a good possibility. I have seen them demonstrated, actually at the first campout, Tim Behle used one and it was amazing what he could hear and from where he heard it. Also, I think they are in the $350-$400 range. My digital aids cost over three grand, I think, maybe more?

But, being vain, I didn't like the idea of a shrimp behind the ear so I got the totally inside the ear canal model with ten different programs. Then I lost one engaged in bedroom gymnastics, didn't realize it until I was half way home so you call the housekeeping staff and ask them to be on the lookout for a tiny ear thingamajig, I'm still waiting to hear back from them. 2 years ago?

The big advantage for me was that I could actually hear the turn signal beeping by myself, rather than some female telling me; uh, your turn signal's still on!

Man, that killed me to lose that damned thing, but I wasn't going to wear just one. Honestly, they are an advantage, on stand. As if that's the only thing that matters? Possibly?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted July 10, 2018 02:04 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Cool !!
And me with a whole bunch of Cabela's points on my card. I feel a road trip comin' on. Cabela's & Bass Pro Shop in Phoenix. May even hit Sportsman's Warehouse in Tucson on the way home.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7584 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 10, 2018 06:14 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
There used to be a guy on here, from Idaho, and he told me a way he modified a Walker game ear with a small tube and one of those yellow foam earplugs with a hole in the middle to stick the tube through. If all you want to do is hear and don't care if it looks a little creepy. What was his name? He sent me several calls he made fashioned from antler. Didn't use his name, on the boards, like Richard calls himself ko ko and me, bo bo.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters