The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Ghost towns, old mines, and stuff... (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Ghost towns, old mines, and stuff...
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted June 15, 2018 08:35 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Took a little trip last weekend. Took a lot of pictures [Big Grin] . Poking around ghost towns and old mines for a few days. Covered a lot of ground, saw a lot of stuff.

Here's a bunch of pics below. But if you want to check out a gazillion more pics and a full trip report write up, it's on my blog - Tybo to Treasure City

Hope you enjoy!

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted June 15, 2018 08:37 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Some more...

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted June 16, 2018 03:45 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome !!!!

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7488 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 16, 2018 05:57 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Those are very special, Dave! I recognize a couple. Interesting to see the power lines going into that one structure, and a couple frames below, a headstone dated 1878, I think it said?

Quite a few years ago there was some scare about people digging up graves and a few contracting a dormant disease while looking to rob wedding rings and brooches, too bad they had to caution people about disturbing these things.

I know that in my travels, every return shows degraded artifacts, sometimes scandalously disturbed sites. So, I notice you aren't giving directions and a map, which is understandable. Of course, it all looks deliciously hunt able. Please tell me you packed at least one accurate rifle!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31276 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted June 16, 2018 06:34 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard, yup, I did pack a rifle. Never did get the urge to make a stand though.

Had a couple half grown pups on the side of the road. Not much for shooting crossers anymore anyway, but especially not half growns. Went for the camera instead of the rifle but they had melted into the sage brush before I got it ready.

And yeah... This stuff is all disappearing. Fast! Getting faster and faster, too. In truth, most of it is already gone. Compared to even just ten years ago. Hate to think how little will remain in another ten years, or twenty...

The good news, is I only saw two other vehicles in two days and nearly 300 miles of dirt. And they were both the first morning, near pavement.

- DAA

--------------------

DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted June 16, 2018 06:42 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, and those aren't power lines. That's a still intact ore bucket tram. It goes a mile and a half up to the mine.

This is the mill.

-

And this is the other end of the cables, 1-1/2 miles and 2,200 feet higher up the mountain.

-

-

-

-

- DAA

--------------------

DanS
Scorched Earth (AZ Sector)
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted June 16, 2018 06:42 AM      Profile for DanS           Edit/Delete Post 
Those pic at night with the stars makes me miss the desert so much. Can't wait till I get a chance to explore some of that country and jeep around. Work just won't let me yet.

--------------------
futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis

Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni:
Often Tested, Always Faithful. Brothers Forever!

Posts: 1465 | From: flyover country | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Aaron Rhoades
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4234

Icon 1 posted June 16, 2018 06:49 AM      Profile for Aaron Rhoades           Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome!
Posts: 155 | From: Washington | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 16, 2018 09:21 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, the STARS! Friggin' Awesome! And yet, folks that have been there on a moonless night with high pressure will see that sort of thing all the time.

Man! YOU SET ME UP! Powerlines, indeed!

But getting back to site degrading. What in the hell possesses people to happen on these places and trash everything? Souvenir hunters will rip up walls and ceilings, floorboards etc. looking for hidden cache. I actually know a guy that got into a remote camp by horseback. I saw the Single Action Army he found under a floor and it was so envious, it does motivate the treasure hunter instinct. He also went back with a rented mule a month later and hauled out a big load of birds eye maple.

I sometimes find the time to browse western graveyards. I think they are fascinating. Some, surprisingly, are still in use occasionally, meaning that an old-timer would rather be planted in his roots rather than the newer town where he died; and good for him.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31276 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DiYi
Wears wife's pink panties under his camo for good luck. (yeah, right!)
Member # 3785

Icon 1 posted June 16, 2018 12:16 PM      Profile for DiYi           Edit/Delete Post 
Fantastic.Thanks!
Posts: 623 | From: SoDak | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
Eddie
Member # 4324

Icon 1 posted June 16, 2018 04:22 PM      Profile for Eddie   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Dave thanks for some great pictures!
That's some good looking country.

Posts: 275 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
MI VHNTR
I'm not shaving 'til Obama's gone!
Member # 3370

Icon 1 posted June 16, 2018 04:42 PM      Profile for MI VHNTR   Email MI VHNTR         Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent pictures of some interesting country. Thanks for the pictures.

--------------------
The Second Amendment isn't about Hunting. It's about Freedom.

FJB Let's Go Brandon

Posts: 390 | From: MI | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted June 17, 2018 02:00 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Great photos as always Dave, we have three beautiful old coke ovens down near the Gila river near Cochran About twice the size of those in your pics you could four wheel out to them but somebody bought the property and they are now off limits. Still can be seen and photographed from a distance!

Thanks Dave great stuff appreciate your efforts !

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Aznative
FARTS ON CLUELESS LIBERALS
Member # 506

Icon 1 posted June 17, 2018 06:46 AM      Profile for Aznative           Edit/Delete Post 
Great Photos Dave. I am surprised to see these old mines in such good shape. Most of the stuff in Az is degraded/vandalized too much.

--------------------
Never thought the devil would need a teleprompter but I could be wrong.

United State of America: RIP
Born July 4th 1776 died November 6th 2012

Posts: 1921 | From: Phoenix Az | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Moe
Member # 4494

Icon 1 posted June 17, 2018 10:18 AM      Profile for Moe           Edit/Delete Post 
There's a small pioneer cemetery in eastern Oregon that we discovered some years ago. It contains the remains of 3 children from the same family. Born in different years but all died the same day.

One of the graves has a headstone of lava rock with the man's information scratched into it. The grave is also covered with lava boulder and has collapsed. I was going to see about getting volunteers to clean it up but then my health tanked.

Over the years on trips out to the desert to go hunting I've stumbled upon lone graves in the middle of nowhere. Still marked as graves but if they weren't you'd never know someone was buried there.

Remember this as you walk by
as you are so once was I
as I am so shall you be
Prepare for death and follow me.

Written on a tombstone in an abandoned cemetery outside of Chester, Vermont.

My favorite: Here lies the body of the atheist Joe
all dressed up and no place to go.

--------------------
I snatch kisses. And vice versa.

Posts: 593 | From: Oregon | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted June 17, 2018 07:22 PM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
As always Dave, great pics and thanks for taking us along!

I'm always amazed, when looking at major projects from say a 120 plus years ago, how much work everything was. I'm talking hard physical work moving large equipment to remote locations.

I was talking with a guy the other day, who is pushing 90 and he was telling me about how they put up hay where they wintered their cattle. One comment especially stuck with me when he said, "The only thing good about the good ol' days is that their gone."

[ June 17, 2018, 07:23 PM: Message edited by: Lonny ]

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted June 18, 2018 07:52 AM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Those pics are incredible, DAA. Reminds me of the big set of Zane Grey novels I bought a year ago at a garage sale for $10. 18 volumes. I've read 9 so far. Some of the best reading I've done.

One of the riverbends I hunt has an old cemetery with about six old stones from the 1870's. All those buried there were from the scarlet fever epidemic that hit my home town of Solomon, KS, back then. The owner used to go out there every year and as needed to put the stones back upright that had fallen over and mow back the weeds. Just because. You can see it from where I sit to call.

Cemeteries fascinate me. Then one where I might be buried holds my family back as far as 1879. To me, that's roots. To my wife, who was adopted in Missouri where you cannot have access to any information about your family history, it means a lot to know that her kids - our kids - know where one of the branches in their family tree is rooted down.

I look at those old buildings and wonder how they were in their hey day. Someone's pride and joy at one time. Represents a lot of work by unknown souls. Were they happy? Were their tragedies? We'll probably never know.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Locohead
World Famous Smoke Dancer
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted June 21, 2018 03:18 PM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
Wowzers Dave!! You have a great eye for setting up those pictures right!!

Wow Lance! 9 Zane Grey's in half a year?!?! I can absolutley guarantee you are falling behind on sleep. It took me a few years to get through most of his books...it's always - just one more chapter then I'll sleep and repeat after the next chapter is read!! LOL

--------------------
I love my critters and chick!!!! :)

Posts: 2219 | From: CO | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted June 21, 2018 08:07 PM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Loco,

I remember when you had a batch of mostly younger kids from pics you posted. So how old are your kids now? How are you, the critters, and the chick doing these days?

I hope all is well in your family.

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
NVWalt
Member # 375

Icon 1 posted June 22, 2018 02:41 AM      Profile for NVWalt           Edit/Delete Post 
Wonderful pictures. From my years in Nevada I have watched so much of that stuff disappear. It is amazing that anything remains at all. During the 1950's early 60's almost every ghost town that had brick buildings were torn down for the bricks to be used in homes in southern California. They actually brought in vans and tore the stuff down and carted it off. There was no one around to stop it back then. Now most ghost town sites can only be found by the remaining tincans and metal bits left to rust away in the desert. Great pics.

--------------------
Idiocracy. Started as a comedy and is now a documentary about the U.S.

Posts: 621 | From: Tellico Plains, TN | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted June 22, 2018 04:34 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
So Dave when do you open the studio and start selling this stuff ? Amazing photos art really !

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Locohead
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted June 23, 2018 11:52 PM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Lonny!!

Most of them are big 'ol critters now!!

Still really, really love my critters and chick!!😀 [IMG]http://  - [/IMG]

[ June 23, 2018, 11:53 PM: Message edited by: Locohead ]

--------------------

Locohead
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted June 23, 2018 11:59 PM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
Hate to inflate Dave's head and all but Paul's right!

Dave,
Your stuff is really really good bro!! I hope you get rich doing it so you can do what you love full-time.....I don't know how you do it ALL now with a job and all...🙂

--------------------

DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted June 24, 2018 04:30 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Great looking family Danny!

I don't think I could make gas money off my pictures though. You need an angle to sell stuff like that. Orphaned gay Indian, or a woman that survived a normal marriage, or something like that to make you seem edgy. Nobody buys prints from a guy named Dave.

- DAA

--------------------

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted June 24, 2018 05:08 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Loco;
You probably already know this but with those girls, the dogs gonna come round sniffin'.
They will test you to the limit. (The dogs and the girls)
And in the end they will choose one that's no way near good enough for her.
Trust me on this one.
Good luck & stay strong.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7488 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters