The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Speaking of plugs..........

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Speaking of plugs..........
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted August 31, 2016 06:06 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm seeing a full page ad on the back cover of the Sept. Outdoor Life magazine by Arby's.
If Arby's can help support a major hunting / fishing magazine I guess that I can buy a sandwich & a shake this afternoon from them as a way of saying 'Thanx".

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7577 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 31, 2016 10:46 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, when I was a boy, I used to read Outdoor Life all the time. It was perhaps the only hunting type of mag. that I read. However, I haven't even seen a copy in many years? Didn't Jack O'Conner write for that publication? I used to idolize that man.

I will have to patronize Arby's, since it takes guts as a corporation to stick your neck out and support a magazine promoting hunting and fishing pursuits. I bet I haven't eaten there in at least a couple years.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31450 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted August 31, 2016 12:41 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
I deposited a plug of used Arby's in the desert last weekend. Proud supporter...

Jack O'.... First rifle I ever bought, and still my sentimental favorite 40 years later, and, not for nothing, the only rifle I have ever used to kill big game, and still the rifle I've killed more coyote with than any other, is a Model 70 in .270 Win. That was pure Jack O' influence.

My .17P is real close to taking the most coyote title from my old M70 though... This season will put it over the top.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 31, 2016 01:00 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, same here. The first centerfire I ever owned was a 270 I bought at Sears, on credit. It was a Santa Barbara Mauser, loved it. Never a tack driver, but good enough. I hunted coyotes and bobcats with it for a long time before I knew better. But, I couldn't make a varmint rig out of those 90 grain Sierra hollow points. Settled on the 110gr. but I was a handloader from day one, if you will accept that a Lee Loader qualifies, there is only so much you can do neck sizing a 270.

Yes, I have a soft spot for a 270 even if I never owned another one.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted August 31, 2016 01:17 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep .270 win. For this kid too. Still have my first big game rifle. Actually its the only big game rifle that I still own. Used my dad's Model 70 pre-64 30-06 for the first few years. Until I got my Remington 700 in .270. Love that gun.
Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted August 31, 2016 01:42 PM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting stuff...don't want to seem like a copycat, but after my dad died in 1977, I cajoled my uncle to take me to Hays, Kansas, and sign for my first rifle, a M-700 in, you guessed it, .270.

I got my love of reading from my dad, and he had a subscription to Outdoor Life for as long as I could remember.

Our backyard on the farm was Africa, the big 3" grasshoppers the 'Big 5', and my Daisy BB gun was my M-70 in .270. O'Connor was my hero.

If you want some interesting reading, get Elmer Keith's 'Gun Notes', Vol. 1 and 2. It is a compilation of all his G&A columns in 2 big books.

Elmer and Jack O had quite a feud going. Elmer highlights some of their correspondence and it is quite entertaining. I think it all started between them when Elmer said the .270 was 'damn adequate for coyotes'...

[ August 31, 2016, 01:44 PM: Message edited by: booger ]

--------------------
If we ever forget we are one Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under--Ronald Reagan

Posts: 911 | From: Bob Dole Country | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted August 31, 2016 02:31 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah I shot alot of my early Coyotes with that .270 and those 90 grain Sierra hollowpoints Leonard mentioned. Definitely simpler times. Closed reed call and that gun was about it. Not to many guys out doing it either, atleast by todays standards.

Good Hunting Chad

Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
tedo
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4320

Icon 1 posted August 31, 2016 02:39 PM      Profile for tedo   Email tedo         Edit/Delete Post 
A .270 fan as well here, Model 70. I have shot moose to fox with it. Just got a text from my son who shot a full curl Dall sheep with his .270 in the Alaska Range.
Posts: 73 | From: S.E. Arizona | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted August 31, 2016 04:52 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Gotta love a place that can go from a sandwich to a .270 in three posts. [Big Grin]

Lunch was great. I'd forgotten how much I like Jamocha Shakes.

.............and where's the 30-30 love ??? [Razz]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7577 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted September 01, 2016 04:48 AM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, Koko! I love Arby's French dips!

--------------------
If we ever forget we are one Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under--Ronald Reagan

Posts: 911 | From: Bob Dole Country | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted September 01, 2016 08:16 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 01, 2016 10:06 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Hardly anything beats a good French Dip! Oh, a Double/Double beats a French Dip most days, but it's a damned good change of pace.

If you don't know what a Double/Double is, I feel sorry for you!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters