The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Northwest fires

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Northwest fires
Aaron Rhoades
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4234

Icon 1 posted August 06, 2015 08:25 PM      Profile for Aaron Rhoades           Edit/Delete Post 
Its been terribly dry around here, even on the liberal side of the state, several decent sized fires burning and piles of smaller ones. This one here though is close to home, our best coyote hunting is gone in flames. Over 24,000 acres and still burning. That area is wheat country, cattle ranches and closer to the river, wineries and orchards. One of our friends, the rancher in the video, lets us hunt on his place. He is a stock contractor and raises bucking bulls and horses for rodeos, he got burned out, they saved the animals and the houses. http://koin.com/2015/08/04/grass-fire-burning-in-roosevelt-city-evacuated/
Posts: 155 | From: Washington | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted August 07, 2015 08:02 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
When I lived in Olympia I always considered it a corner of Hell too wet to burn.
Hard to imagine if that much fuel ever goes up.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7580 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted August 11, 2015 05:23 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
I hear ya Aaron.
Smoky skies here. Started about 2pm ? getting worse.
http://www.ktvb.com/story/news/local/2015/08/10/blm-fights-range-fire-owyhee-county/31434759/

Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
earthwalker
Cultural Editor & middleweight arm wrestling champion/Intermountain Region
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted August 11, 2015 06:05 PM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Soda Fire, 30k and growing, jumped hwy 95 into Oregon.

--------------------
another long hot smoky summer coming

Posts: 1105 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted August 11, 2015 06:29 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah. Probably headed to Rockville ect. They could scoop water out of Owyhee reservoir to dump on it. But, there ain't any.
earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted August 12, 2015 05:00 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
To far hall time.
78k acres and growing.

--------------------

Dave Allen
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted August 12, 2015 10:36 AM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like almost 120k now. Gonna' be a mess.
earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted August 12, 2015 11:06 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeppers, they burnt the webcam I was watching yesterday. Watched it jumped the highway into Oregon.
I sure was hoping we'd get through this fire season with little fires and not much damage. So much for that thought.

--------------------

Dave Allen
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted August 12, 2015 01:14 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah me too.
http://www.ktvb.com/story/news/local/2015/08/11/soda-fire-threatens-ranches-near-idaho-oregon-border/31509207/

earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted August 12, 2015 03:11 PM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so thankful we never found a place over there.Every time we went and looked all we could think about it was a fire trap.

--------------------

Dave Allen
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted August 12, 2015 07:14 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah that's the thing Dee. It's not a matter of if, but when ?
earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted August 13, 2015 04:17 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
It is now a days.
Been in this business to long 36 plus years.
It'll be another bad day.
Two teams coming in today. A type 1 over head team and a type 2 team.
That area is in a Red Flag today for wind and low RH's. Tomorrow will be interesting when the low comes in down from the NW. You could see the whole Owyhee front go up towards Murphy and so forth.

--------------------

Aaron Rhoades
Member # 4234

Icon 1 posted August 13, 2015 06:07 PM      Profile for Aaron Rhoades           Edit/Delete Post 
They got the one I posted about taken care of, 34,000 some acres. That one was east of us, now we have another one to the west on Mt. Adams or a little east. Mostly burning the Yakima indian reservation, started by lightning.
earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted August 14, 2015 04:11 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Good Aaron.
Watched Windy Ridge blow up yesterday what a monster.Closed I84 last night.
New fire on the Boise National called Cougar. lightning start yesterday morning. By last night it was blowing and growing.
RH's have went below 15% into single digits. When that happens everything blows up.

--------------------

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted August 14, 2015 08:23 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
FWIW;

I've been known to keep a `burn log` of past burn areas.
An old burn about 3 to 5 years old, depending on rainfall, can become a critter factory by producing quality green growth that's high in protein and all the other good stuff like hiding places etc.
A quick scouting trip into old burns can often turn up some pleasant surprises.

YMMV.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7580 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted August 14, 2015 09:32 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
The forest burns will be over run next spring with mushroom pickers. That usually turns into a mess.
Sagebrush steps usually don't fair so well. As in regrowth. It's usually weeds and more weeds.

--------------------

Aaron Rhoades
Member # 4234

Icon 1 posted August 14, 2015 01:08 PM      Profile for Aaron Rhoades           Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.goldendalesentinel.com/story/2015/08/12/news/national-guard-called-in-to-help-with-cougar-creek-fire-still-zero-percent-contained/6308.html
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted August 15, 2015 05:11 AM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
Fires went crazy here yesterday. With over two dozen fires burning and 30-40 mph winds things just exploded.

My sister-in-law called in a panic yesterday with word that a fire had moved to within a couple miles of their rural home. My BIL is gone right now, so my boys and I went to help them fireproof their property.

Luckily my BIL has a D4 and I dozed a line around the house and out buildings. We'll see how things progress and hopefully the wind doesn't change for their sake...

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dave Allen
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted August 15, 2015 06:51 AM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah it sucks for sure. We planned an ATV camping trip to Silver City this weekend, well that ain't happening.

Still going out though ? me and my daughter are headed out now, gonna meet up with my cuzz.

Hopefully things are OK up around Sweet-Ola. Going to ride up into the timber. Pretty smoky here.

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters