The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Cat forum   » Bobcat vs Diamondback

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bobcat vs Diamondback
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 2 posted January 09, 2024 09:59 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
This shows a pretty effective technique. The cat provokes strikes pawing at the snake while it is extended and it seems to tire quite fast. All in all, instinct or learned watching it's mom do the same, rattler is no match for what looks to me to be an 18-20 pound cat.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/national/article246417820.html

PS did I ever mention the time I caught a rattler bare handed? He was trying to get away as I passed by and went up a sandy slope and was making no headway. So I watched him slither like crazy, but it was uphill and he wasn't going anywhere. For some stupid reason, I had this bright idea and pounced on him with both hands, the head, the head you moroon!

At that point, I showed him off to my dad. we were camping at an abandoned mine site. He wasn't impressed and just said what did you do that for? Then I showed it to my cousin who also wasn't impressed so I walked a ways down the hill and tossed it in the rocks. I still think it was kinda cool. Stupid, but cool.

I know a guy that picked up a sidewinder one night as they were stopped, and you know, the damned things are attracted to the headlights. So he casually reached down and picked it up, but just a LITTLE too far back and it was able to turn and sink a fang into his thumb. He eventually had to have about half of his thumb amputated.

I don't know, half the time I leave them alone and then sometimes I get an impulse to fucking kill the bastards!

Good hunting. El Bee

[ January 09, 2024, 10:13 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
NVWalt
Does not claim to be overly bright!
Member # 375

Icon 1 posted January 11, 2024 09:54 AM      Profile for NVWalt           Edit/Delete Post 
Just watched that, it was pretty interesting to say the least.
The late wife got on a rattlesnake hatband, bracelet, ring kick many years ago and guess who had to catch them, yup, someone without much smarts. Like me.
I used to grab them by the tail and drag them backwards and pin the head down with my trusty pistolover and chop the heads off with my knife. Grabbing them by the tail and holding them out from you ,you are pretty safe.Knock on my wooden head.
I normaly never mess with them and leave them alone to go about their business,but the wife had need of them. And being deaf enough to not hear them rattle was interesting as the wife would say there's one over there or there and I would go get it.
when they were in the rocks, usually around a den site especially, I would use a spray bottle of gasoline to squirt at them after seeing them by the light of a mirror reflecting the sun in the crevices. That would flush them out.
Still have a handful of skins left and when I look at them have some fond memories of our days out in the brush of Nevada.

--------------------
Support Communism and help destroy the United States of America ! VOTE DEMOCRAT. "In the end, they aren't coming after me. They are coming after you!" D.Trump

Posts: 636 | From: Tellico Plains, TN | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 11, 2024 11:25 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well....like I've said before; and if I didn't actually say it, I did think it: why would you leave that magnificent country?

Forgetting Reno and Vegas, the rest of Nevada is very special for independent, freedom loving men and their women. There is just something you feel but can't describe about overlooking the vistas of northern Nevada and you just cannot help pondering that vast desolate country.

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: PS you must know that rattlesnakes are scared shitless of King snakes? It's amazing to see how fast a rattlesnake will blast out from under a rock when a King snake pokes into the other end. In the first place, if you have never seen that sort of action, just the idea of a rattlesnake being petrified when a King snake starts his way, it's kind of hard to believe!

[ January 11, 2024, 11:36 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters