The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » cross-posting my rant

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: cross-posting my rant
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted November 26, 2022 10:57 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
(speaking of the current president of the U.S.)

The pity is that the SENILE ASSHOLE just doesn't know what he's talking about, but he has several hundred on staff that can make any moronic comment into new law and regulation. (edit) about interchanging SEMI AUTO with ASSAULT WEAPON

But, my bitch this morning is POWDER! I got a catalogue from Natchez a couple days ago and of course, they forgot to list any primers, but you know what? They are making reloading into something only for fools!

Ammunition is pitiful, scarce and outrageously expensive! But just for instance, one of my best powders is ALLIANT Reloader #22, it is $50.99 per pound! Another powder that I use because of outstanding performance is Accurate #2700, a "bargain" @ $33.49. Anybody that needs IMR, #4831 is $44.99 per pound.

A powder not listed, (at all) is Hodgdon H414. WTF? That is a truly great powder for performance stuff like 220Swift and 22-250AI, also very useful in 243W. BUT, they do list Winchester #760 Ball, which is supposed to be the same, (or very close) to H414, some people claim it's the same thing? Hodgdon's #H4350 is $44.00, but you get the idea.

Handloading is damned near a waste of time when components are virtually unobtainable or so expensive that you have to wonder why you bother, if not for the accuracy advantage of a custom load....and our military shooters don't bother except maybe for 300 WinMag. The scary info about temperature stable powders is not worth mentioning any more. Who gives a shit if performance is degraded due to high ambient temperatures? It's never bothered me if I keep a few spares in my back pocket, my pocket is near 98.5 degrees, not quite 100*.

The whole concept of handloading has a couple "components" one of which is being able to select the very best accuracy, by selecting the highest velocity powder and at pressures hopefully not exceeding 55,000 psi? That's where I'm at, no flattened and pierced primers for this kid! and minimal lengthening and neck trimming. So you have PERFORMANCE AND ACCURACY, that's it!

Forget economy! You cannot get economy @$44-$51 per fucking pound! So forget accuracy, accept "factory" accuracy as the yardstick, and blasting steel @ 1,000 yards as "accuracy" perfection, and my criteria 1/2" @100 yards, is now a waste of time.
(edit) and that's FIVE (5) fucking shots inside 1/2" which is far different than hitting steel 3 out of 5 shots/it's not the same-asshole!

That 1,000 yard stuff is too dependent on variables like ambient temperatures and wind direction and velocity. Hit the steel and high fives all around and that's good enough accuracy. Or, as I might submit: PURE LUCK!

Somebody is yanking our chain and rifle accuracy is "relative". However, these assholes convert 1,000 yard gong accuracy with killing a damned buck or bull at that distance, and this is, (my opinion) a flip of the coin; hit or miss. Does ANYBODY ever stop to think how far a buck can move while that 180 grainer is in flight?

Well, we don't worry about missing because these days we have "Creedmore" that ensures success at a thousand yards. No worries, no shit, with a 6.5 or a 6.8. Handloading is for chumps! 280Ackley is for chumps, that's handloading, which is also for chumps. I'm very confused about killing game animals in these modern times. If you can gong steel 3 for 5 @ 1,000, then we are good to go. See how that works?

End of RANT!
But, make no mistake, the game has changed. Hunters and shooters are far more stupid than they ever were.

edit: ah, yes! Did somebody mention ignorance and stupidity as equivalent to intelligence? This is a subject dear to my heart....THE CURRENT EDUCATIONAL SYSTEM! For fuck sake! We don't even teach MATH in schools, these days! They need fingers and take off the shoes- TOES to count past TEN! what good is a smart phone when it's cold out and your battery is dead. Now, how are you going to use your smart phone calculator? Our society is progressively more stupid all the fucking time! While they are more concerned with QBXYZ queer-trans shit, they don't bother teaching math skills, I was taught how to find SQUARE ROOTS in the 9th grade! Not useful unless you are calculating a moonshot, or an orbiting satellite. So, it's more useful to teach kids about deviant sexual skills than math! Can I see a raise of hands?

Good hunting. El Bee

[ November 26, 2022, 11:19 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 14, 2022 10:17 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I read an article that was all the rave about a new cartridge, I think it's called Hornady and what was it 7PRC or ?

But they take a 8 twist barrel and use a very long bullet with a high G1 and G7 number. The other tricks are to seat it deep in the case and they selected 3 powders to get the velocity up around 3,000.

Okay, it all sounds very nice and the purpose is where it leaves me. First though, I'd like to point out that just about anybody can do the same thing and order a match barrel with a fast twist. So, I don't know, $400 barrel, but those new modern rifles for banging steel are going from $2500 to some are more like Seven grand!

I think I could build a 280Ackley that will come pretty close in performance and do some bench work with 2 or 3 slow powders and enjoy myself with a couple days at the range and I can promise that I could come close to this new engineered creation without breaking a sweat.

And then, this is the part that really sends me up the fucking wall. They know that these Nimrods will get tired of steel and sally forth with confidence, that they can snipe big game at those ranges and (where do I begin) trying to dope wind cross canyon and what approximately is the time in flight, and what if the animal moves? Now you just shot him in the butt! And, my contention is that those really long bullets spinning at maybe 500,000RPM, theoretical expansion might not be guaranteed. I think it's really difficult to build a bullet that will expand at such a wide range of velocities.

What I really mean is that I seriously question the ethics of the long range sniping trend. Yes, under static conditions, a guy can gain some confidence in hitting that gong, doping the prevailing wind direction but when you are out in the woods and you have a 10 mile wind left to right, you just have no clue what the wind is doing 937 yards away.

I have a limitation on ethical shooting, depending on what rifle you have in your hands and what I'm fairly comfortable with is 400 yards and with very static circumstances, dead calm, and a bedded down animal, maybe 500? And, without being modest, I'm a pretty fair shot on game and granted, most of it is on coyote size animals. I happen to consider a coyote a game animal, except he's not edible, of course. I don't leave 'em lay either, I make a serious attempt to recover every coyote. I know people that treat a coyote with the same regard as a ground squirrel and sorry, I do not approve. I have more respect for a coyote than to take a shot that has a good percentage for crippling.

Anyway, we are talking about big game, not varmints. I think this "long range" trend absolutely sucks. I should probably mention that I have no experience at a thousand yards. I have tried a desperate shot at an animal I needed for a contest at who knows the range but even then, I don't like wasting my premium handloads on a low percentage shot unless there are extenuating circumstances. In 50 years, I've probably connected twice at 600/800 yards and I couldn't even guess at the number of attempts but I doubt it would exceed 10%.

Just do me a favor and don't do it. It's a bad fucking trend, people aren't that good and everything is against success.

You know, I know some guys that were so....what's the word? Driven? I know this happened. This team had information on where another team was going to be hunting at night on the state hunt. So, they went out the weekend before the big hunt and rolled down a bunch of roads blasting distress sounds in that specific area and they saw a lot of eyes, various ranges but they would shoot at, or kill if they caught some animals flat footed. But the object was to fuck up a hunting area that they reasonably expected the other team to hunt the following week.

I know both teams personally and I had some conversation with the team that had poor luck and they heard through the grapevine about exactly who was out there spooking every animal along a fifty mile stretch of remote desert road. These guys had a very sore ass that somebody would be that chickenshit, and the other team that did this dirty work had defense like: hey, we were just scouting and blah blah blah.

Is that sporting? Is it ethical? I think what they did was fucked up, and it caused big problems with the different clubs.

Anyway, I'm just thinking and sharing my attitude about certain competitive attitudes whether it's coyote hunting contests or bass fishing and cheating. There's always somebody that lacks sportsmanship and/or ethics. Anyway, I think it's kinda related to long range potting deer.

Sorry for the rant!
Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted December 14, 2022 04:50 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
damitt Leonard i hate cross posting

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5062 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted December 14, 2022 07:19 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Dressing, Tim; ....... We hate cross dressing in hunting camp.
Cross posting or crossed shooting sticks are ok.

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 15, 2022 01:43 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Cross what?

I was so clever in my cross posting that now, with my "standard minimal effort", I can't find where I cross posted this topic? Who knows?

Come to think of it, I haven't seen Tim get this upset about anything, even pre-ban? What is it about Minneesota? Knee deep to the armpits and it; it just changes the brain, slushy and (well) they always have talked a little funny, but when wallowing in six foot drifts, they have that shiver and the novel visual, icicles hanging from the beard with tinkling/pleasant little chime; DAMN! You have to really pay attention!

But, they're cute when they are little!

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Semp
GOLD STAR MEMBER
Member # 3074

Icon 1 posted January 08, 2023 08:43 PM      Profile for Semp           Edit/Delete Post 
If you want expensive, try buying some 12ga 3" TSS shotshells. A box of ounce and a half #2 TSS shot is $12 per shell! And only 5 shells to a $60 box.
Expensive coyotes.

--------------------
Always remember: That court appointed psychiatrist is not your friend.

Posts: 406 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 13 posted January 09, 2023 11:37 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I just saw that! Dead Coyote $102 per box. Are they kidding? Where's the economics? I think I will stick with 3" #4 Buck. I have an almost full box of Dead Coyote but am not inclined to use it because it's what I consider a waste of money and second: THEY KICK LIKE A FRIGGIN' MULE!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters