The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » read this Victor!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: read this Victor!
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 5 posted November 11, 2022 12:51 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
And then, if you could please explain what safeguards you take to make sure that you aren't buying a stolen gun.

I'm thinking of more than a couple private party purchases I've made in which I never gave it a thought and consequently, I never bothered to run them and I have no idea? Back in the day, it just never occurred to me? I might have a half a dozen guns that I've owned for a long time that I have no idea as to whether or not they were stolen.

The only firearm that I was a little cautious about, I called local PD and they said they don't run background checks for civilians, but the second one I called was willing to do it and it came back clean. And that firearm is my AR15. But I have several long arms and handguns that I bought from private parties and it never crossed my mind that they were hot, even though in some cases I bought them at a gun show from total strangers.

Seems incredibly naive, as I ponder it right now.

So, tell me about the precautions that you take. Because I think you have bought and sold a lot more than I have.

Good hunting. El Bee

SO READ THIS ARTICLE AND SHARE YOUR CAUTIONS

https://bearingarms.com/tomknighton/2022/11/11/arrested-stolen-gun-n64266

[ November 11, 2022, 12:53 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31336 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted November 11, 2022 02:49 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Never has been on my worry radar. I can't offer any precautions and I've never taken any.
Posts: 1601 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted November 13, 2022 11:54 AM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
That's a bit unsettling. I guess I have just ass-u-me'd that when the dealer did the paperwork on my purchase, the gun info was checked as well. I'm pretty sure all the FFL's I know have access to local law enforcement to check prospective purchases and most do to avoid this very thing. I know for a fact that in Kansas, anything received by any pawn shop with a serial number is checked in real time or on a very regular basis to prevent fencing of stolen property.

Fully 70-80% of all property crimes like burglary, armed robbery and vehicle burglaries are driven by the barter aspects of the drug crisis. Drug dealers have been known to offer "shopping lists" to addicts for items they want and are willing to trade in kind for drugs, with in kind defined as worth pennies on the dollar. Very little is of no value if someone else wants it badly enough.

I would suggest that, when buying a gun from an individual and you have no way to verify ownership, ask for the seller's driver's license and write down what's on there to keep in a file along with print outs of any emails or texts relative to the deal. If you're ever in that situation, you can at least offer their name and information at the time of purchase and demonstrate that you had no intent to buy stolen property. Sometimes, the presence of actual intent will be the determining factor in your culpability.

I guess I'm lucky to have two FFL's that hand me their wholesale catalog and charge me that price plus $20-25 as a service fee of sorts. Haven't bought a used gun or new gun at retail for years.

[ November 13, 2022, 11:56 AM: Message edited by: Cdog911 ]

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 14, 2022 09:43 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess the one time I did something besides "cash and carry" no, actually twice I had the seller sign a BILL OF SALE. That seems pretty weak if it was actually stolen, and here's an exciting thought! I can take them down to the PO LICE and have them run serial numbers....but then what?

I will offer a comment about Victor's casual attitude. And, I'm just as guilty. Buying guns from total strangers at a gun show is at the very least, not safe and doesn't protect the investment. We wouldn't do it with a car? And, my first new car was a 1969 Datsun pick up that I paid $1830 brand new. I only mention it because lots of firearms can sell for more than that these days and we don't buy cars with the same laid back attitude.

So, this is as brave as I can get, I will be extremely careful in the future about buying a gun from somebody I don't know. And by the way, the two people that I suggested a BILL OF SALE were people that I knew personally, or in the one case, a friend of my son.

OKAY, buyer beware!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted November 14, 2022 11:20 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
So ........... Just thinking out loud;
Why couldn't the Feds put up a site where you or I could enter a serial # and get a yea or nay right then & there.
Seems like that might make it harder to se11 a hot gun.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7511 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 14, 2022 04:02 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
That's a hell of an idea, ko ko! Why didn't I think of it?

It's an obvious public interest. I do not know how anybody would be against it?

I can see it being abused, maybe 5 free inquiries a year? (just picked that number out of my ass)

I give you an "atta boy"

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Aznative
FARTS ON CLUELESS LIBERALS
Member # 506

Icon 1 posted November 15, 2022 02:58 PM      Profile for Aznative           Edit/Delete Post 
If you sell a gun at a gun show, you need to see the buyer's driver license. It is illegal to sell tò an out of state buyer.

--------------------
Never thought the devil would need a teleprompter but I could be wrong.

United State of America: RIP
Born July 4th 1776 died November 6th 2012

Posts: 1922 | From: Phoenix Az | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted November 15, 2022 05:29 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, if you are right about that, there are a hell of a lot of criminals conducting illegal transactions. What's the sentence, like five years in the pen, 3 1/2 with good behavior? They will never take me alive!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted November 16, 2022 07:32 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Az not sure about where you are but here, I can buy from a private party, no big whoop. If I go to big gun show say in S.D. and buy from a lic. dealer I then have to have sales transferred to a Mn. dealer that is at the show and do paperwork through him which will cost an extra 20.00. Must have a county permit to buy and have a background check done prior.

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 4902 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 11 posted November 16, 2022 08:21 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that's basically how it is in The People's Republik, just another layer of Bureaucracy. America is America, but our politicians try to protect us a little more vigorously. For instance, we are protected from owning those deadly 15 and 17 round magazines, and merchants can only send via mail ten round magazines. We can buy something, but the seller has to send it to a local dealer who has a FFL license. It's just another form of Liberals out of control. The bastards are fucking EVIL!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters