The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » Bullets for 44Mag

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bullets for 44Mag
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 02, 2022 07:58 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I have loaded the coated lead bullets I got from Bayou Bullets, haven't tried them yet.

But I have some cases that I finally located after having zero luck probably since about February? Got notice this morning that they will be delivered today. They are nickel, which I actually like, in pistol calibers. Rifle? Not at all in favor except for very specific applications. Those would be where I intend to store them indefinitely, or if I have a brain fart and move to Seattle....and that's never going to happen, so.

The thing is you can't trim your nickel brass because it's too hard and brittle and it will ruin your cutting blades. I fucked up and bought a hundred nickel 243 cases for a very good price. I still have that first batch which is whittled down because when I use those cases, in that particular rifle, I just eject them at random, WHICH IS DIFFICULT FOR ME BECAUSE I RELIGIOUSLY CUP MY HAND UNDER THE STOCK AND GET MY FINGERS UP TO CATCH THE EJECTED BRASS, IF AT ALL POSSIBLE! Even if I might have multiples, when it's all over, you can bet that I'm looking for my empties. My prep is too involved and tedious to leave brass in the field, even if I'm digging in mud and snow.

But, with this particular Ruger rifle which doesn't get used much, I still have ? maybe 30-40 loaded and if you find one in several western states, you will know that I was there. When they are gone, it will be a relief.

Handgun brass is a different story because you are never trimming to length, at least I don't? With headspacing on the rim, they ain't growing. With rimmed cases, it's something I have not seen so I don't trim. For that reason, I do like shiny nickel plated cases. They don't discolor, you don't need to tumble them and if they are available I have no hesitation and in this case, considering the lack of availability, I'll take whatever is available. But, since I don't shoot 44Mag all that much, those nickel cases should keep very nicely.

Now, where was I?

I'm wondering about so called "hard cast" lead bullets Or, something besides my normal GO TO bullet, the Hornady XTP. I'd consider lathe turned brass too. I don't know what diameter, but if I find them they will probably be the correct diameter. I'm just thinking penetration, like on Grizzly or Brown bear. Or, I don't know? Not looking for cheap target load bullets, maybe something a little more exotic? Like heavy. I've never loaded anything heavier than 240 grain, and the 50 bullets I have on hand are 210 grain, which is a bit of an oddball. So, for these 100 nickel cases, I'd like a different bullet. non conventional.

What's out there?

Good hunting. El Bee

[ November 02, 2022, 08:00 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31465 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 02, 2022 08:24 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
The first thing I noticed is that H110 and W296 have identical data numbers for 300 and 330 grain bullets! I don't think I ever noticed that before?

It's like H414 is a hell of a lot like W760 and maybe it's the same powder?

Oh well, at least I found out there is plenty of data for oddball bullet weights. And some of those numbers are sobering, velocity and pressure!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 03, 2022 04:14 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a built in prejudice against "Starline" brass, for pistol. I don't even know if they make bottleneck cases? But, all things considered, I always like Remington in handgun varieties, then Winchester and Hornady looks pretty good but I haven't used a whole lot. I'm partial to Lapua, but Norma and especially Nosler makes pretty good looking brass.

Anyway, this is my second purchase of Starline brass just because I couldn't find anything else.So, I bought 100 44 Special cases and loaded them up, no problems whatsoever, so when I stumbled on this Starline 44Mag brass, I didn't even think twice. It was $42 plus $12 shipping which I thought was excessive, but <shrug>

I just primed them about an hour ago but now I need to locate some bullets that appeal to me and I'm thinking of either 300 or 330grain. We will see?

But looking around, and by the way, the Hornady website is very nice for checking various loads and other information. Punch it in and it pops up immediately. Since I have H110, I'm pretty sure the powder equation is solved. I used standard large rifle primers but Hornady data was magnum primers. I really ain't too concerned about that detail. From what I have seen, the spark differential is not a big deal unless we are doing our shooting in a meat locker. And the flash hole in these cases are more than adequate. Being an anal benchrest type, I of course looked for flash inside, if it needed trim and I didn't notice any at all.

So now, I just need to do some shopping for bullets, who knows, maybe I can find something local and save the fucking high fucking shipping cost!

I don't buy any factory rifle ammunition almost every rifle I own has never seen a factory round. But, I have stockpiled factory pistol ammo, I think I have around five thousand dollars worth on the shelf. I also have components for both but primarily powders and primers for rifle. I'm afraid it's a lifetime supply. I sold some powder and primers and standing pat with the stash I have. Actually, my fear is that should I die, my daughter will either shitcaan all of it or sell it for peanuts. I should talk to her, I guess? Meanwhile, I'll live forever.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted November 03, 2022 10:22 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Most all top pistol/revolver shooters I know or follow, are partial to Starline brass,good stuff ,don't be hesitant to give it a try Leonard.
If you're looking for quality hard cast hunting bullets, give Montana bullet works a look see, they have them from 280-330 grain.

[ November 03, 2022, 10:46 PM: Message edited by: Az-Hunter ]

Posts: 1629 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 04, 2022 06:48 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, thanks for that, Vic. I will contact them directly!

I guess you have to try Starline, to appreciate it. I can say this, there does not appear to be any flies on what I've seen, so far.

But, you know, I can go a year and longer before I'm working on pistol loads. I just don't do that much pistol shooting, and I know I should. It doesn't particularly FLOAT MY BOAT, I do it but it's like making the bed, it's kind of a chore but somebody's got to do it. No, really. I'm more tuned in to half inch groups and handgun accuracy isn't in the same ballpark. But they have pin shoots and the race guns games and they are usually geared to very specific makes and sometimes custom models. I'll say it again, we are very persecuted in the People's Republik. In the various gun mags that I get, it just pisses me off that all the latest stuff isn't available here. It's not fair to them, but I have been thinking of straw purchases and prevailing on those that do not live in "occupied territory". I know a guy down in Corona that has a fake address in Lake Havasu and of course, it's because he's into race guns, and WHAT CAN YOU DO? You sure as hell can't buy them here so the fucking government forces people to become felons. I say BFD, but ATF would be thrilled to bust me on a technicality.

They will never take me alive!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted November 04, 2022 09:17 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a thought; Get ya an address in Arizona.

AND THEN MOVE THERE !!!!!

Man. I gotta think of everything around here.

[Big Grin] [Razz] [Big Grin] [Razz]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7583 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 05, 2022 09:05 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well now....

I had two real estate agents in the house earlier this week and they said they would love to list this prime property. Left a message two days ago and I talked to one of them yesterday when I answered a random call. Well, aside from the fact that he cautioned that things were going downhill and there will not be a better time in the next 2 years to sell. In other words, mortgages are in the 6 1/2% range right now, and somebody needs 20% down and that's a chunk of cash, etc. etc. Never mind that my present loan is 2.750%, but in actuality, I can sell and then buy two houses in AZ for cash and not be concerned with interest rates.

All I really have to do is step up to the plate....gulp!

And then, I'm really interested in Dove Mountain northwest of Tucson, but I could be happy damned near ANYWHERE IN AZ! Even Suncity. There is a certain charm about every house virtually identical. The security is fairly adequate to protect the snowbirds in Alberta; you see more Alberta license plates in Suncity in the winter months than California. And, I have joined the crowd for the earlybird specials at Denny's. It's kind of cute to see the golf carts out front and it's my kind of crowd. Never mind that my girl cousin lives there and she bumps into Betty Ann (my ex) once in a while, who also lives there. I have another ex over near Mesa and both of these possibilities are are possibilities, bridges have not been burned.

I just need to convince myself that all my junk isn't all that important, I can acquire more junk very easily. So, why in the hell do I agonize over small shit, I don't know? When I do it, I'll kick myself that I didn't do it much sooner!

If I wind up dying in this miserable state, I'll never forgive myself!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted November 05, 2022 10:03 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe that there's not a relator that couldn't arrange for packers & movers to come in and put your stuff into storage pending shipping to the new address. The only finger you should need to lift is the one that signs the check. (Hint. Put the whole thing on your Cabela's Card and get the points.)

And, the really cool thing about moving; After a while when you open a package it's like opening a present on Xmas morning.

Edit for speling

[ November 05, 2022, 10:04 AM: Message edited by: Kokopelli ]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7583 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 05, 2022 11:21 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I’m thinking of those PODS. THE Woman next door that sold and moved to Florida used them. But she also had yard sales every weekend for a month and a half before she actually left town. Good riddance!

Anyway, it’s prob not as hard as I think it is?

Good hunting. El Bee 🐝

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 05, 2022 02:59 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I don’t know if I’m ready for hardcast? In 44 Magnum, the options run from .429 to .432 and I need to either slug my throat or (I guess) just measure it with calipers? Gas checks or not? Depends on velocity? Leading? I never heard of Bronze wool before? All this is why I’ve always stayed with jacketed bullets….

Good hunting. El Bee 🐝

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 06, 2022 12:16 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I better do some quick pondering, I can't stand two trays of cases just sitting there, they need to be finished before ants crawl in there and die, or they all tip over, or get bumped. Shit happens!

This outfit asks if the gun is a revolver and I'm not sure what information they require about that?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted November 06, 2022 02:17 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Having just finished making a set of Solar Powered Arrows for an upcoming State Field Tournament, I remembered a booth & video I saw at a gun show years ago. Seems somebody cut some bullet sized discs of reflective material an glued them to the bullet's base. Looked really cool in the video. Kinda laser-like. Might be something to look into 'cause as we all know; Anything worth doing is worth doing totally over the top.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 06, 2022 11:44 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
There is some type of new product that acts like a tracer but it’s not incendiary for I think primarily pistol bullets that shows a visible trajectory in either red or green. Sort of helps show you where your bullet is going without risk of starting a fire.

Is that kind of what you are trying to say? If not then I don’t know what you are talking about?

Good hunting. El Bee 🐝

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted November 07, 2022 10:26 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, that sounds like it.
I saw them at a gun show at Puyallup Wa. at least 10 years ago.

--------------------

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters