The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » 224 Valkrie

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 224 Valkrie
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted October 21, 2022 10:32 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Its been a few years now since its been out. Purpose of the cartridge was to be able to shoot heavy bullets in a AR platform for long distance shooting. It does that very well out to 1000 yards. I bought one just to mess around with and see how those heavy bullets do on coyotes and I don't like shooting big bore cartridges pushing heavy bullets, too much noise and recoil. I had a pretty good idea of how the cartridge and bullets would perform before I even bought the gun and was right about how it would perform. I've taken coyotes as close as 100 yards and as far as 500 yards and use mine as a road gun when I hunt my dogs on the coyotes I call runners. Some coyotes as soon as the dogs jump them they run flat out and pretty much straight away hitting just enough cover to throw the dogs off for a few minutes to give themselves some lead time. Once I figure them out and what there plan is I well set up and wait for them to make a crossing then give em one as they get across the road. ( legal here for coyotes). I been useing 70-80 and 90 gr. bullets and most times they just go inside the coyote and stop somewhere not dumping much energy and in most cases takes time for coyote to die or need a extra shot. I've seen my 17 cal.s dump more energy than that and just turns the lights right out, so much for retained energy with the heavy bullets. Wind not a big factor but you need to know your drop, I prefer fast and flat, much less B.S.. I know for a fact if I didn't have the dogs around I wouldn't be using one. The good news is if you go with a new custom barrel with a twist rate for 52 gr. bullets you'll be running side by side with a 22-250 in performance and in a AR platform. It would make a nice case to neck down to 17 cal. shooting 30 gr. bullets but at moment not many bullet makers around that make that cal. and weight of bullet.

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 4845 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 22, 2022 03:38 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, something I am pretty sure that you are aware of, with all of the hoopla over those heavy long bullets is that you need such a fast twist and the barrel life sucks. In the first place, I'm just not that thrilled about the long range trend, as far as hunting any game. If you like to ring the gongs way out there, be my guest. I really am not a fan of shooting at any game beyond 500 yards and for the most part, I limit my shots to more like 400. There are just too many things that can happen while a bullet is in flight, not to mention wind conditions closer to the target that all you can do is guess at, based on what it's like where you are and if there is no brush or dust where the animal is, it's just a crap shoot. Pull the trigger and hope for the best. Well, that ain't me! When you get right down to it, there are very few people that can kill an animal reliably out past 400 yards.

Besides all that, even if you get a hit and he doesn't run off crippled, there are so many animals lost due to poor marking, especially at night. It's very easy to waste an hour and getting nothing in return. I won't do it unless I have a positive landmark. A tree, a large rock, maybe an open patch where you can walk right out and if he's not there and there is no blood or fur then you know that you misjudged the wind and fucking MISSED! Well, I do not like wasting time and cartridges on low percentage shots. Everyone should know their limitations and stay inside of them. In that way, you don't miss! That's strictly amateur hour. Do not take a shot unless you are very sure it's a 90% or so. That requires an accurate rifle and very good concept of your own abilities.

Go forth and sin no more!
Good hunting. El Bee

edit: I just thought of something else. The sound of a hit on animal tissue sounds a lot different than hitting brush, or a rock, or no sound of a hit, at all. There's been times when I have nothing to go by except the plop of a solid body hit, or a head shot, for that matter. When all indications are negative but you heard the hit is all you need to keep searching. 10/4

Ps and don't forget, I'm practically deaf! lol

[ October 22, 2022, 03:52 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31261 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted October 22, 2022 05:44 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep its just a big toy like Vic and you're pistola's not a whole lot of use. Don't have much use for those but do have a concealed to carry permit, just never bother to carry. LOL Actually I got the permit so I could carry my Ruger convertible loaded when running dogs and need to go in on a bad bay-up. I shoot CB caps in it (22 short) you should hear the wallop it makes when bullet hits coyote. LOL I know some guys been using the 224 Valkrie at night with a thermal and swear by it, I also think they use to use 223 as well and swore by them. LOL Most thermals have a built in Cam in them to film the hunt or shot, the truth comes out real quick on that deal.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 23, 2022 09:50 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm still pondering the remark about your need of a concealed carry permit....for CB caps in a rimfire while chasing coyotes hither and yon.

You can't be serious? I would think carrying concealed while in the woods would be very allowed, even if just to protect your gun from the elements, you know wind, rain, sleet and snow? In a pocket, inside your coat, strapped and buckled to a holster, etc.? You require a PERMIT for such obvious need? Gone are the days, apparently? when my dad would keep his Colt Woodsman in his tackle box. Actually, I am pretty sure it was a Hi Standard, but I never got a good look at it, we were primarily a bird hunting shotgun family in those days. I know he never owned a center fire until he was retired and for some reason bought that Ruger 357 that I now own. I didn't know and he never consulted me about purchasing that gun, which was a little out of character, I might add. At least my mother had the good sense to give it to me rather than my Viet Nam Veteran brother; who's wife insists that he keep all firearms dismantled and hidden from sight under lock and key. As you may guess, me and her have never been in agreement, ON ANYTHING! Ever.

Anyway, seriously? You need a fucking permit to carry a rimfire loaded with CB caps in your pocket? That one takes the cake! No wonder Minneesota has been voting Democrat for the last 6 or 7 decades? Since Eisenhower, for sure!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted October 23, 2022 12:17 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard the Ruger convertible is a revolver and pain in ass to load and unload going to and from the truck that's why the permit to carry a loaded pistol, mainly for while it's in the truck. you follow? As for out in the field then no permit is required.

--------------------

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted October 23, 2022 12:29 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Also I'm not into politics or follow who's who or what's what, what I do Know is Minn. has some of the best/relaxed laws in the country when it comes to guns and hunting not sure who to blame for that. LOL
We can hunt with suppressors, lights, thermals, centerfire rifles and shoot predators from the road if we want and I believe we still have one school that holds a gun show once a year. As for my dogs hunting the trespass law is very relaxed, just need a starting point with permission. We also have the right to retrieve law, if a landowner doesn't want dogs there, we can go in on his land and get them. Also hunting dogs are protected here, I think it's a felony if you shoot a dog that's out hunting. So who do I blame for all this? The dem.s or republicans? Should we run them out of office or just let them be?

--------------------

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted October 23, 2022 12:34 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
If I may add: I think the two government parties are like coyotes, some parts of the country they do very little harm where other parts you need to thin them out. You should of never left Mn. your house would of been full of guns and ammo, all the shit you can buy no limits just make sure you keep the lawn mowed.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 23, 2022 07:04 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
You understand, I was 11 and didn't have an option to decline beyond expressing an opinion and just leaving under protest, more or less. AS far as the gun negative shit, that wasn't always the situation here. It turned Liberal by degree. I have as much iron stashed in the safe as you do. They haven't succeeded in shutting down guns completely. But they keep trying, if you can say one thing about the opposition, the motherfuckers never rest!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters