The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » Desperate, nothing to do!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Desperate, nothing to do!
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 15, 2022 02:25 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm waiting on my first order of those sexy cast boolits, you know in Black Cherry and Mint Green flavors, except they were apparently all out of the weights and calibers I wanted which was 40 and 45. Weights? I'd have to check for sure but I think it was 165 and 185 and 200 and some were/are gold colored. Should be here any day now.

Meanwhile, here I am cleaning clean guns. I got out my trigger pull gauge, which I've had so long, it's not even digital! Imagine that? You know, short story:

I've had a analog tire pressure gauge since the early 70's, I even paid an extra ten bucks for a rubber cover that was an offer inside and so I ordered it. I know how long I've had it because I got it for my 1969 Datsun pickup, the first new car I had ever bought; cost me $1830 and included fat tires on the rear which were very good in a 2 wheel drive pickup.

So, It was 10-15 years ago that I was at Costco and bought a fancy digital tire pressure gage. For my wife's car. Well it had a warranty and a mailbox in New York City. The damned thing quit working, I believe the first time I reached for it and it had to be at least a couple years old. I'm not sure hw I found out, got a notice from the post office, no such address or some damned thing, so it even cost me five bucks to send it back! (I think?)

I could tell you about digital scales we used in the club to keep track of record animal weights, you know, 8 pound Gray Fox and 16 pound Badgers, etc. Always going through those fancy digital scales that weighed to TWO DECIMAL POINTS! BFD!

Anyway, where was I? Oh yeah, checking the triggers on handguns with my in very good condition, but alas, non digital scale for trigger weights, which I am very careful about using on rifles but not so much on handguns; mainly because it is what it is, I don't know a thing about changing it anyways. But on a rifle, I can tune just about any factory trigger to where I want it.

So, I got out my ancient, (but trusty) RCBS analogue gauge. My Combat Commander is at 5 7/8ths, which for a sorta "Duty, or carry piece in condition 1, seems to be reasonable. This Springfield Armory 1911A1, which is a very fine piece that I need to be shooting more but the trigger pull gage shows 4 7/8th pounds, but it feels lighter than that.

My S&W Shield in 40S&W is just a cunt hair under 8 pounds, and feels like more? I really can't figure out why this round is being ignored? Bullets and brass and loaded ammo are VERY available, and it's just about the only cartridge you can say that about. I guess because everybody is so in love with 9mm? Don't know why about that either? It's a pipsqueak unless you can find plus P somewhere? And, no, you can't, which is why I hand load +P+.

But, even loading it hot, a 9mm is NO WHERE NEAR the authority of the 40S&W. It's like comparing a 22lr and a 38Special. There's that much difference in performance. And, I have watched Paul Harrell do the tedious demo, announcing every shot, and when he did 10mm versus 40S&W as I recall, there wasn't a hundred fps difference.

Anyway, that's it from here.
Oh, and Victor, how do you like your Springfield, or do you still have it? lol

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31459 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted June 16, 2022 08:55 AM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
I have the TRP model,for a production pistol it's pretty tough to beat. Has many of the features I used to pay big money to have put on a stock Colt.
I did remove the full length guide rod assembly from mine and dropped in standard recoil spring and plug. It is amazingly accurate and has had no issues.

Posts: 1627 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 16, 2022 10:05 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
So, what advantage do you realize by replacing the long guide rod, just easier to field strip?

Also, that Bayou Bullets site has gone from 300 to 250 and just a couple days ago went with 200 for free shipping. I just paid $17 shipping for the five hundred rounds I bought.

I can agree about Springfield Armory, in general. I have an XD 9mm and the 1911 A1 and I'm just a big fan, I want all their models, the Garrison, the Operator, Ronin, and what am I missing? Forged is a hell of a selling point! But every model is sexy as hell! These guns are tight as a homely nun!

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: I know a guy that has the XDM rail gun and competes. I forget exactly, something like 19 rounds in 2 1/2 seconds? Whatever?

[ June 16, 2022, 10:09 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted June 16, 2022 12:04 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
It may be splitting hairs, but it comes down to a reliability issue. just feel it isn't a needed addition to an all ready proven platform?
Very seldom have I ordered from Bayou, my preferred bullets I get from Damn Good Bullets or ACME bullet company....give those two a look see, they might carry what your looking for.

Posts: 1627 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted June 16, 2022 02:51 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
'....... tight as a homely Nun.' [Big Grin]

Be assured that I'll use that one to offend someone.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7579 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 17, 2022 07:03 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to admit that I made it up, on the spot!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 18, 2022 07:47 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Just to clarify. Me personally, I've never seen an even moderately good looking Nun. Sister Rufina in 4th grade was almost as wide as she was tall, but had generally good humor unless she rapped you on the knuckles with that ruler! I'm pretty sure she thought me as hopeless. Yeh, right! And, she would never make a decent pole dancer, either! But, as I said, she could be jolly at times, quite a contrast because most of them were severe and took no prisoners!

Good hunting. El Bee

Say what you will about Catholic school, but they made you learn. It was a solid foundation that served me well.

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 21, 2022 07:38 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I got an email yesterday from Bayou. It said my order is ready to ship! WTF? It's been 10 days and I've been looking for my bullets for at least 6 of them! I had an impulse to tell them to cancel but then I wondered if they were casting bullets to order? And, maybe they already charged my card? But the reason I used them in the first place was because the other one you recommended had a minimum quantity of 500 bullets in each style, and that is completely unrealistic at my level of consumption. I ordered 500 bullets, five different, 100 each, 40 and 45 caliber.

Now, I notice that the two companies you just listed are different from the previous two that you posted. So, which are the better choice, in your opinion? By price or style or performance or quality or reputation?

Good hunting. El Bee

[ June 21, 2022, 07:45 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 26, 2022 07:08 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I got my goods. I will need to do some experimenting on one bullet, the 175grain .401" it looks like I don't have a damned thing suitable, in terms of powder? I'll figure something out, but handloading unjacketed lead bullets is something I haven't done and it's very different. You can't load them very hot, they like to keep pressures below 20,000, so I will do it. The first one I will try is the 145 grain.

That's another thing, Victor, what do you do with the grease groove, just act like it's not there? Also, what about gas checks with these bullets?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 01, 2022 07:59 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I no sooner loaded 100 140 grain black Cherry boolets for my S&W Shield in 40 S&W when I got an invitation to write a review from Bayou Bullets. Come on, Guys, give me a chance to pop a few caps before I review their "smokeless" performance. That's a benefit I don't have a lot of use for since I don't play those games. What can I say, at this point? Oh yeah, they look delicious!

Help! I need more cartridge boxes! And, I'm not real happy with the "make due" plastic I have because while they fit 45ACP very nicely, the 40's rattle around a bit too much for my tastes. That's the big scandal while the 9mm lobby is doing everything they can to stamp out 40S&W! I really don't get it? 9mm is a poor choice for self defense, in my opinion. Maybe for girls, but as a "MAN STOPPER" 9X19 Luger is on the anemic side. Sorry, ko ko, I didn't mean to pull your pants down relying on the super effective 380auto. (just kidding)

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: PS I've picked up a few 380's at the range while policing my expended brass. It's so close to 9mm Lugar that I don't see why a handloader couldn't load it on the hot side and have a round very close to the performance of the 9mm Parabellum? Just a thought?

[ July 01, 2022, 08:05 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted July 01, 2022 08:38 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
[Cool]

Not a problem; I didn't consider my Ruger .380 LCP to be a man stopper either. I considered it to be a man slower-downer and practiced with it accordingly. Make it go bang until it goes click then do a rapid retreat while loading the other clip that I carried.

I really miss that gun. [Razz]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7579 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 02, 2022 08:50 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I know what you mean! I have the damnedest luck, myself! All these reloads and nothing to shoot them in!

And, at one gun a month, it will take forever to stock up again.

Good hunting, El Bee

PS I have this image of you like in Romancing the Stone. Danny Devito running down the hill and shooting backwards over his shoulder! HA!

[ July 02, 2022, 08:52 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted July 02, 2022 09:22 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Never saw that movie but I love Hollywood's versions of the way handguns should / could be fired.
All time fav; hold it sideways, head high, grip above the barrel & shoot. [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Went to the swap meet this morning and scored on a box of Cor-Bon .41 Mag. Spendy @ $25 for 20 rounds but if I ever replace that hand canon I'll have something to shoot out of it.

I used to do a drill walking down the middle of a sand wash that was about 20 yards wide. Targets were dirt clods, cow patties sticks & such. If the target was on the left I'd hold the pistol in my left hand, point my finger at the target & fire without stopping. If the target was on the right, same thing. Shift the pistol to the right hand, point the finger & fire without stopping the walk.
No sights, no stance, just instinctive shooting.
If a person does that somewhat regularly, it's surprising how close the shots come to the target.
I miss doing that but the only handgun that I have left is a .177 pellet pistol sort of works.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 03, 2022 07:32 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I hear ya. I'm always buying ammo for guns I no longer own. But, as a hobby, it's very addictive and cheaper than buying dangerous firearms, which would just be confiscated if I owned them. I'm not stupid! [Razz]

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted July 03, 2022 08:43 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes .......... Yes of course. I think that buying ammo for guns that we have lost is a way of showing respect and remembering them & the good times we had together.

[Cool]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 03, 2022 10:50 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
That's right! Every few days I take out a bunch of ammo and stack them Oh, like in the bedroom or the kitchen and just admire how colorful the boxes are, open them and pick up a couple boolets and get all excited about when I used to own the guns that they represent. A couple times I did inventories, just for the hell of it. It can be fun to do lists of FMJ and HP and monochromic.

Then we have the handloads. The funny thing is, for rifle, that is literally all I have is handloads, zero factory cartridges. I buy 100-maybe 200 unprimed cases and keep reloading them. I do not own a rifle....I mean, when I used to own them, that ever had a factory round fired through the bore. Except rimfires, can't help that.

So, all I have, and I have a lot, is factory handgun ammo. And I have had a bug up my ass to bank quite a bit of handloaded handgun ammo.

I also keep meticulous record(s) of my handloads, mostly written on the wall somewhere? But lately, I have been stockpiling the handgun stuff and I'm sure that I have more 22 rimfire and 40S&W than anything else. What I do know is that I have more than I need! We can call it a lifetime supply, I think.

I just wish I had not been so hasty in dumping all those beautiful guns, I'm going to regret it some day.

Good hunting. El Bee

[ July 03, 2022, 10:52 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters