The New Huntmastersbbs!
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | search | faq | forum home

This topic has been moved to Night Hunting.  
next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » Thermal Scope

Author Topic: Thermal Scope
Semp
GOLD STAR MEMBER
Member # 3074

Icon 1 posted July 27, 2020 06:01 AM      Profile for Semp           Edit/Delete Post 
My state is going to allow night rifle hunting with lights and NV equipment starting in December. Up till now its been moonlight and shotgun only. Not really what I wanted to do.

What is the best (cheapest) way to go to get in to thermal gear. Any brands better than others or models of scopes? I read an old post that talked about a hand held thermal scanner to locate and then switch to lights for shooting instead of a dedicated NV scope. Is that still the way to go?

--------------------
Always remember: That court appointed psychiatrist is not your friend.

Posts: 401 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Semp
GOLD STAR MEMBER
Member # 3074

Icon 1 posted July 27, 2020 06:26 AM      Profile for Semp           Edit/Delete Post 
I just realized I posted this topic in the wrong forum, Leonard. Can you move it?

--------------------
Always remember: That court appointed psychiatrist is not your friend.

Posts: 401 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted July 27, 2020 06:46 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Don't matter .............. 'bout three posts and we'll be off topic (as per posting guidelines) anyway.
I don't know squat about night stuff. You might also try one of the Texas Hog Hunting sites. They might be able to suggest something since they do a lot of night shooting.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7492 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 27, 2020 12:57 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I can move it. Where do you want it, NIGHT HUNTING FORUM?

I have not used thermal, except for locating a down animal at night, just NV once in a while. Visible light works fine, if you know what you are doing.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31280 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters