The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » Cerakote

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cerakote
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 2 posted January 24, 2020 08:28 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm seriously considering having my AR cerakoted. Any opinions? Would it affect value? This is an original Colt A1 without forward assist. I never needed it. It hasn't been fired in probably 20 years, ever since I found out it was worthless for coyotes.

Good hunting. El Bee

what can I expect to pay? Any recommendations?

[ January 24, 2020, 08:32 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31276 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 25, 2020 06:54 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Received a reply from a shy lurker. The question of affecting value is moot, at this point since I have already modified the carry handle with a hacksaw. I mounted a picatinni rail on it, before they were doing this stuff a long time ago, and then I just stuffed it (literally) in the back of the safe, out of the way, and forgot about it. I was trying to solve the problem of the scope being mounted so high above the bore and affecting my zero at close range. It was a serious problem. I could miss a coyote if the scope was mounted 3-4 inches above the bore. So, to hell with that handle, it had to go.

Now, the question is, where to send it for cerakoting? Is about $450 the going rate?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted January 25, 2020 09:20 AM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Just checked for pricing at the local place here, Tactical Precision, real quality shop if your "tactical" and such.
Full AR cover runs $225

I did the same to an AR I had back in the day Leonard, removable carry handles were not an option then. Did it a bit differently though, used the fore and aft portions of the handle to roll pin a weaver notched base to so I could mount a scope for just the same reasons as you mentioned.

Posts: 1591 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 25, 2020 10:41 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, that's where I'm completely out of step with America's rifle. I started complaining YEARS AGO that all the emphasis on the scary black assault rifle was hurting our brand. Next thing you know, the AR15 is the most popular rifle in the country.

We could have gotten along quite nicely with a Winchester Model 100, or the Remington, and I am permanently confused by the change in Model numbers, 4200, 760, 742 or whatever. My point is, we had available a few semi automatic deer rifles, and they didn't scare the daylights out of ignorant anti gun people.

Actually, I like the hell out of the Savage Model 99. It's not semi auto, it's a lever action, but at one time it was chambered in 284Winchester and that's a hell of a deer cartridge.

Okay, I'm drifting, but here we are, made our bed and now we have all this negative shit about a category of firearm that should be exempt! The focus has been traditionally on handguns, forever! Now we have this scary black rifle to defend and it just seems so unnecessary.

We fucked up and let them control the argument by seizing of a bogus label. the "ASSAULT RIFLE "is not an honest category, it used to be the Schmeizer, ( I have the spelling wrong but you guys know what I'm talking about) At the time, a revolutionary concept for an Infantry arm. In the first place, it had full auto capability, short, light and handy and (I believe) chambered in 9mm Parabellum? Okay, maybe the M4 would be closer if chambered in 300 Blackout or some such. Come to think of it, I think you can get one in 9mm?

We have to take charge of the playing field. We are always reactionary. They make outrageous charges; this rifle is the choice of mass shooters.... and we are always caught with our pants down, and responding to the equivalent of: WHEN DID YOU STOP BEATING YOUR WIFE?

The Media doesn't help. Besides being criminally stupid on the subject, they are unqualified to even discuss the merits of various firearms. Right out of the chute, most of them can't explain the difference between full auto and semi auto. Well, duh! They act as though the distinction is "splitting hairs". AUTO.... IS AUTO! after all. Right?

excuse the rant, I got carried away again!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TRnCO
FUTURE HALL OF FAMER
Member # 690

Icon 1 posted January 25, 2020 03:39 PM      Profile for TRnCO   Email TRnCO         Edit/Delete Post 
IDK what he'd charge to cerakote an AR, but I just had my local gun shop do a cerakote job on a bolt action rifle and he charged me $125.

After our float hunt in AK this fall, my old Winchester rifle was growing rust like I've never seen before. The local gun smith said he had a heck of a time getting it clean enough to coat, said the rust just kept coming and coming.

--------------------
Is it hunting season yet? I hate summer!

Posts: 996 | From: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 26, 2020 07:13 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, coastal Alaska is a unique problem. If I lived there, I would own nothing but stainless steel rifles and nickel plated ammunition. I bought some 243 nickel cases once because they were cheap, and found out that they are not handloader friendly, trimming to length, etc. But, if I lived up there, nickel plated ammo is the way to go and just buy factory stuff, something I never do. Well, I take that back because I have been stocking up on loaded handgun ammunition, over the past year or so. Rifle? I have not bought loaded rifle ammunition in more than 40 years, other than rimfire. But, I have a shitload of boxes of every pistol and revolver caliber that I own. I'm not buying bulk, crates of hundreds and thousands of rounds, just boxes of 25 or 50, but lots of them. I don't think I will ever use it all up, it's just my security blanket. You non-Kalifornia people will find out about my concern one of these days. At that time, maybe a box of 45ACP would be a medium of exchange? You wouldn't want to count out 50 cartridges in a ziplock bag, but a brick of 22 rim-fires or even a box of 9mm, which are going for less than ten bucks here, but who knows when the supply will dry up? At that time, people won't be so choosy on bullet shape or advertised velocity.

All I'm saying is....be glad that you are living now and not just starting out. 10-20 years from now, 50 at the most, our hunting and firearms culture as we know it will be non existent. Yes, right to carry is nice and all that but that shit can be jerked out from under you in a heartbeat. At the same time that they talk about all the states that permit concealed carry, they are passing "Red Flag Laws" which are just begging to be abused! We don't know how good we have it, right now. If you think that a limit of one gun a month is outrageous, wait and see when they dream up one box of ammunition, per month, to start and then ANNUALLY is just around the corner. Maybe I have a bleak perspective, but when I read recently that there are less than 11 million hunters out of a population of 330 million, then that says; nobody gives a shit about our petty little concerns.

The majority has never given two shits about protecting the rights of the minority. If they can force everybody to comply, and pat themselves on the back because it was so democratic, they voted and majority rules, everybody understands that! Except it's not fair and it's not democratic. The whole idea is to protect the rights of the minority, but fuking Liberals don't see things that way, it's our way or the highway!

OK OK excuse the rant, I will shut up and crawl in my hole only to emerge with a "I told you so" one of these fine days!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 27, 2020 03:19 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I phoned an outfit in Phelan and talked to the owner. He told me between one and two weeks turn around. $280. I'm thinking about it but first I want to install a Picatinni 20 degree rail. I know, why bother with 20 degrees on a stupid AR chambered in puny 5.56mm? Opinions on that issue?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted January 27, 2020 04:21 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Always questions #1 & #2 ........ What's the critter good for ??? and What'cha gonna use it for ????

Maybe you would just be better off re-barreling it to 30-30.
An AR 30-30 and you would walk like a King in the deer woods 'up North'.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7488 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 28, 2020 10:03 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I guess you just pulled my pants down!

Truthfully, it is now a "safe queen" and after cerakote, will return to "safe queen" so I don't know where that detail would apply to your question(s).

Question#1: Hardly good for nuthin' presently, maybe a civil insurrection, one of these days? But, hard to say the opposing group, black, brown or Democrat?

Question #2: already addressed. I don't need a reason and don't have one.

But since I seem to have a New Year's resolution problem, I recently took in a couple weapons needing a gunsmith solution, that loose front sight on my Combat Commander and a firing pin on the old lever action Marlin. I also have a little problem on a Browning 22 that I intend to get fixed.

I don't have a decent gunsmith in quite a while, the previous guy only did accuracy work, ie: benchrest type stuff.

I will grant you that it might feel very different walking the deer woods with a thutty-thutty, but I have never felt less, equipped with my Model 700 in 300WinMag. It's hard to beat.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted January 28, 2020 11:07 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Well .............. Sometimes ya just gotta do stuff 'cause ya gotta do it.
Drive on. [Smile]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7488 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 28, 2020 11:28 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
That's it!

It's not like I haven't been considering it for a long time, ever since I did the original hack saw modifications and you can observe the raw unsightly aluminum. Always want to do something to make it look a little more professional....which is why I painted it. Anyway.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted January 28, 2020 12:49 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Ok ............. Here's a thought;
Learn to do that over the shoulder, aim with a mirror, Annie Oakely shot ..... only the trick being not what you hit with the bullet but dropping the ejected brass into a tin cup. Should be a real crowd pleaser and keep you out of the Bingo Parlors while you're learning to do it.
No need to thank me...... I'll be out back breaking in a new bowstring for the shoot in Globe this week-end.

[Cool]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 28, 2020 02:37 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, good luck! And be careful! Keep those whiskers from getting tangled in that new bowstring!

PS, I never realized how complicated bowstrings are!

Good hunting. El Bee

Cerakote that bow!

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted January 28, 2020 06:42 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
"Cerakote that bow"

GASP !!!!
Put a cheap coat of paint over the clear glass limbs that show off the wood grain laminates or the exotic wood riser of a classic bow ?????
Nope !!!!

--------------------

Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted January 29, 2020 07:08 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Still laughing KOKO . My last AR is a 6.8 spc hell of a gun will drop a 200 lb pig at 300 yards coyote no problem the pigs fell like a sack of potatoes ! not a rocket but a hell of a punch !

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted January 29, 2020 12:23 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Paul;
Where you hunting pigs at ?????

--------------------

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters