The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » 9mm self defense rounds

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 9mm self defense rounds
ATexan
Knows what it's all about
Member # 6799

Icon 1 posted March 13, 2019 10:03 AM      Profile for ATexan   Email ATexan         Edit/Delete Post 
My wife's just bought a new to her Browning 1911 9mm. Haven't owned a 9mm in a long time. What's everyone suggested self defense round? Thanks-Tex
Posts: 112 | From: Texas | Registered: Mar 2018  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 13, 2019 01:49 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that's a good question. Seems like everything I see advertised is cheap and hardball. I mean, in stores, I don't pay any attention to mail order any more because that's not allowed in this chickenshit state.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31451 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted March 13, 2019 08:07 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Tex;
You folks going to make it over this way this week-end ????

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7577 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted March 14, 2019 04:35 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Gold dot !

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
ATexan
Member # 6799

Icon 1 posted March 14, 2019 04:57 AM      Profile for ATexan   Email ATexan         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes sir koko! I am filling out my p.t.o paper work and getting everything lined up for my yard crew at work.. Had 90mph wind yesterday with 50+ plus sustained for over 12 hours.. They got a lot of work in front of them. But the wife is packing clothes and we are Arizona bound here in a couple of hours. Gonna be around Stafford for 2 and half days. Holllar at me on my cell koko and we can get something lined up if ya are in town.
Yea, I am really behind on handgun ammo.. I will check the gold dots out! Thanks everyone.-tex

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted March 14, 2019 06:37 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be around on Sunday.
I don't have your cell #.
Email it to Leonard and he can forward it to me.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7577 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
4949shooter
SECOND PLACE HIGGINS (MAGNUM P.I.) LOOK A LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted March 14, 2019 04:12 PM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
Tex, I agree with Paul...the Speer Gold Dot is excellent. We carry the standard pressure, but the +p is also very good / even better.

If the GD's are finicky feeding in a 1911, I would try the Hornady Critical Duty, or Corbon Powerball.

Good luck with your choice...

Posts: 2274 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
ATexan
Member # 6799

Icon 1 posted March 14, 2019 06:40 PM      Profile for ATexan   Email ATexan         Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't find the gold dots at my local grander outdoors. I did pick her up some of the hornady citrical duty on the way out to Arizona. Thanks for the suggestions fellas.
806-664-3433 is my cell number koko. I will save LB some work 😀 My wife and I will be out all day hunting if anyone wants to join up, give me a ring.-tex

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted March 14, 2019 07:00 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Got it.
I'll be at an archery tournament on Sat.
Will give you a call Sunday morning.
Drag Areil & Tedo along.

--------------------

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted March 14, 2019 07:07 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
FWIW:
A LEO that I chat with now & then refers to such calibers as .380, .38 Special, 9mm, etc, as the 'marginal' cartridges.
He suggests keeping in mind the heavy clothing worn in winter (load FMJ) and the lighter clothing worn in the summer (load HP) with an eye toward penetration. Seems to make sense.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 15, 2019 06:51 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Sure as hell does!

It's similar to a heavy winter coat on a coyote or any animal in winter. That fur absorbs a lot of energy.

And, I'm no expert but it stands to reason that a 380 or 38 Special or 9mm is not the knock 'em flat caliber of a 357, but it's what you got, and nobody wants to be hit between the eyes with a puny 380ACP. But, if you can handle recoil, etc. it's better than throwing rocks.

In other words, where do you draw the line? I was looking at those fancy S&W and Ruger revolvers with 12" and 14" barrels chambered in 44, and 46 and 500 and those things are no doubt effective man stoppers. This tradeoff between power and portability has been raging for a long time. I think everybody has picked a spot on the continuum. A 22 rimfire is a fabulous choice when it's all you have available. Shoot a man in the face with a 22 and he will eventually probably stop fucking wit cha!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 16, 2019 11:43 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Getting back to the question: where the hell are all the defense 9mm cartridges? I want to buy some of these super devastating bullets and super powerful cartridges that contain these powerful and super effective projectiles.

Where are they? I only see dickhead and cheap FMJ bullets in economy boxes of 50 for nine dollars. I want the stuff that is deadly, huge wound channel killers. Where do they sell this stuff? I don't mind handloading if all I can get is super premium bullets. Oh, come to think of it, Glaser must make some and I think they are probably very extremely effective. I need to find out where I can get some. But these are Tupperware cartridges. A hollow copper jacket and filled with #9 shot and capped with a little plastic retaining cover. Makes a 9mm into a miniature shotgun. Very Ouch!

Okay, that makes one. What else is out there? Something with a hard cast Keith type wadcutter? I haven't seen it, lead the way, I want some.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

MI VHNTR
I'm not shaving 'til Obama's gone!
Member # 3370

Icon 1 posted March 16, 2019 06:29 PM      Profile for MI VHNTR   Email MI VHNTR         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard, here are some links to some hi performance ammo. I've run some of the 45 Super and 10mm hardcast in my Colt 1911s. I've also used some of the +P+ FMJ 9mm in my FN FNS 9. There's lots of ammo to choose from.

https://www.underwoodammo.com/collections/handgun-ammo

http://www.doubletapammo.net/

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=146

--------------------
The Second Amendment isn't about Hunting. It's about Freedom.

FJB Let's Go Brandon

Posts: 394 | From: MI | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted March 16, 2019 06:59 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
A very well known hunting/fishing guide in Alaska, Phil Shoemaker apparently thinks enough of the 9mm that he carries one occasionally, and even used it to ward off and kill a mature grizzly while guiding fishing clients, heres' the story if interested.
https://www.americanhunter.org/articles/2016/8/10/alaska-outfitter-defends-fishermen-from-raging-grizzly-with-9mm-pistol/

Posts: 1627 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DiYi
Wears wife's pink panties under his camo for good luck. (yeah, right!)
Member # 3785

Icon 1 posted March 17, 2019 03:03 AM      Profile for DiYi           Edit/Delete Post 
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=9mm+defense+reloads
Posts: 623 | From: SoDak | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 17, 2019 09:03 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, everybody, for the response.

I'm still a bit lacking, thanks to the wisdom of my legislators in Sacramento. I can't get any of this stuff, (probably for my own good) because all of these manufacturers are too scared to ship ammunition to The People's Republik, better known as The Land Of The Fruits And The Nuts.

So, I don't see that premium stuff on shelves at my local sporting goods stores. Maybe I will have to make my own? I haven't bought 9mm dies yet, but I can come up with equivalent, even though there were a couple of very different choices like 90 gr HP and 147 hardcast. So, I reload for everything else, why not?

Now, for Victor the contrary one. He knows very well what he's doing and snickering while doing it. That "well known" guide aught to be fired tromping through head high brush "protecting" his clients with a fucking 9mm, maybe that was a Model 59, and there are Vic's favorite, Glocks available that hold 17 or 19 or some much higher number than what he had, to protect TWO clients! The asshole should lose his license! Big whoop, he used Buffalo Bore! I'm telling you, what he did is nothing to be bragging about! Now, every overconfident asshole in the woods thinks his fucking Glock will kill a brown bear, as long as he is using premium bullets. Fuck that!

But, thanks for the info. Very enlightening. [Roll Eyes]

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted March 17, 2019 09:10 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Who was it that said "A little information can be a dangerous thing" ??

And that was before Al Gore invented the internet !!!!

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 17, 2019 12:37 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, if he did invent the Internet and discovered GLOBAL WARMING, he's a very bright guy....and an asshole.

But, for exhibit A, I have here for the Peanut Gallery, a visual example of what's bigger is better:
bottom up: 9mm, 40S&W, 45ACP

-

So, looking at the hole and the length and understanding that a 223 will not kill a coyote, whereas, a 243 will handle the task quite nicely, I suggest that the difference between .357 and 40mm and 124 grain and 165 grain and plug it in and cypher the math and velocity and where is it that that puny 9mm Luger is not just "equal" but superior to the 40S&W cartridge? That's like, I might have a little dick; but I know how to use it!

Yup, that clown at Turner's pissed me off for three days straight. But, thanks to Victor in Florida, we know that 6 shots from a 9mm will dispatch a large male brown bear. Thanks, Vic!

I take it, that my Shield 40S&W will accomplish that chore with no more than 5 shots? Correct?

I will still carry my very heavy Ruger Redhawk next time I'm fishing the Alaskan wilderness, thank you!

Good hunting. El Bee

[ March 17, 2019, 12:47 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

DiYi
Wears wife's pink panties under his camo for good luck. (yeah, right!)
Member # 3785

Icon 1 posted March 18, 2019 12:25 PM      Profile for DiYi           Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of bears and pistols...

https://www.ammoland.com/2019/03/pistols-or-handguns-used-to-defend-against-bear-attack-95-effective-63-cases/#axzz5iYVQxQnh

Posts: 623 | From: SoDak | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 18, 2019 02:21 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! That's a hell of a report! Thank you for sharing that!

But, a comment. Statistics can sure prove stuff but it's mostly self gratification. I also noticed that the success percentage went way up as the bore size increased.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters