The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » what's "modular" mean?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: what's "modular" mean?
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 06, 2019 03:32 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been hearing for some time about how the military is switching to a new Sig handgun. Well, I know that Sigs get a lot of praise just because it appears to be more "macho" than the Beretta. That's fine, if we can forget about the part where we are sticking with 9mm Parabellum.

I think this is a bone to the Ladies, and other shrimp boats that cannot handle recoil? It's the same old story. If they cannot cut it in law enforcement, or in a combat unit, let's dump the politically correct policies and hire somebody that can do the job, be it a fireman or Navy Seals or your run of the mill police officer.

I say, if you are going to shoot somebody, a 124 grain bullet is inferior to a 165 grain, and so on. This is reality, not Liberal bullshit. That aught to be one of the first requirements; can you shoot a 40 or a 45? Instead, they decide on a cartridge based on what the girls can handle and the men must compensate. And, of course, some of them will say, hey a 9mm is just as good, etc. We can pump up the load and call it +P+ and that will improve the ft. lbs. but then again, if they are shooting hardball for reliable chambering, who's kidding who? I think there are two things we cannot deny, diameter and velocity and then bullet design.

Okay, okay. Let the girls, if we must have them in infantry, let them carry a PUSSY Glock in 9mm, but let the rest of the adults carry a more lethal firearm. Oh? We must have uniformity, right? Okay then, let the girls be nurses or play sports like volleyball and soccer. Don't allow girls to muddy up men's work.

But, getting back to the question: what exactly do they mean by "modular"? Does that mean all the parts are interchangeable without Armorer fitting?

Another question, if I may? So, you have a 1911 and then a M92 and now the Sig Saur. What have we gained with the new handgun that we didn't have for the first 50 years? Is a Government Model 45ACP woefully inadequate compared to a (buzzword warning!) "modular" Sig Saur in 9mm?

Who knows?

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: ok ok I just reread what I wrote and the obvious suddenly occurred to me. 17 rounds versus 7 rounds. Right?

[ March 06, 2019, 03:37 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31269 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted March 06, 2019 07:11 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm by no means an expert but is it possible that a .45 might actually SAVE lives ????

Dirtbag threatens cop carrying a .45.
Cop puts a couple of rounds into dirtbag. Dirtbag falls down. Surgeons in E.R. 'may' be able to operate & save him.

Dirtbag threatens cop carrying 9mm.
Cop puts a couple of rounds into dirtbag. Nothing much happens. WTF ???? Cop empties magazine into dirtbag to get the desired effect.
Surgeon in E.R. says "Nope" & finishes his coffee break.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7482 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted March 06, 2019 07:38 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
That's why we need the 9mm.

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Knows what it's all about
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted March 06, 2019 09:17 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
Long sleeve shirts are modular. You can roll the sleeves up but can't roll short sleeves down.

Bullets matter more than head stamps.
 -

I'm a fan of the 9mm and 45ACP along with the 44 but todays bullets are designed to expand and cut without passing through one guy and into the next guy. The 45 is even better with today's bullets but how dead do we need them to be?

Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted March 07, 2019 05:10 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't care if my .40 kills them I want them on the ground asap so I can get away from the crazy bastard . Remove the threat and I am good.

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 07, 2019 06:39 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
And, flying in the face of logic and practicality, I guess I intend to scare the bad guy with my 32ACP Seacamp. It's better than nothing, and there's hardly anything more concealable. Along with the grilling you are liable to get if you have a WONDER NINE and TWO EXTRA MAGAZINES and therefore, appear to be looking for trouble, A LA Treyvon Martin.

As American Rifleman says, sometimes just the sudden appearance of a firearm is enough to stop a crime.

I can say this, I absolutely worry about consequences. Maybe Kansas L.E. would be sympathetic, but I'm in the People's Republik; no illusions. I think, no matter how cut and dried it looks, I'm going to lose my gun, (edit: and a whole safe full of guns, for good measure) and probably get arrested and leverage my house against a competent defense lawyer. And, I doubt it will be the bad guy, it will be my local law enforcement agency that will be jacking my ass up.

Good hunting. El Bee

[ March 07, 2019, 06:44 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

4949shooter
SECOND PLACE HIGGINS (MAGNUM P.I.) LOOK A LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted March 07, 2019 02:33 PM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
US Navy Special Warfare and US Marine MARSOC are carrying Glock 19's.

Apparently the army went with Sig Sauer.

I heard a rumor the military was testing .40 S&W but won't believe it until I see it for myself. I believe the military favors 9mm because other nations' military forces use it....standardization. The military also likes more bullets in their guns, as Leonard mentioned above.

Posts: 2274 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
4949shooter
SECOND PLACE HIGGINS (MAGNUM P.I.) LOOK A LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted March 07, 2019 02:36 PM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
And I originally thought this topic didn't fit the forum "Firearms for Varmints and Predators," but bad guys who intend to do us harm indeed fall under the definition of "predator."
Posts: 2274 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted March 07, 2019 05:09 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't the FBI go to 9mm? Anyway, since I'm a newb to reloading, I'm just recently garnering a working knowledge of the intricacies of bullet weight versus mass versus bullet cross section and how all that plays into terminal performance. At lower velocities and range (although it may not matter, being shot at 20 feet versus 200 yards), are the issues comparing rifle rounds versus handgun rounds similar enough when comparing apples to apples, or is there no comparison making the whole thing a waste of discussion? I don't much care what I have when the SHTF, as long as I have something. Hell, that guy killed a muzzy with an MRE spoon.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 07, 2019 06:34 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Really now, what is meant by “modular”? It can’t be rolling up sleeves on a long sleeved shirt, thereby creating one with short sleeves. I get the example. Are we saying parts interchangeablity? Take a slide from one and use it in another, switch slides and everything functions?

If that’s the definition of modular, seems like it would be tolerances. On the other hand, too tight on tolerances and your parts would seize up. I don’t know why I’m hung up on a new fanagled buzzword, perhaps there is a happy medium? It the world of firearms, hardly nothing is truly MODULAR.

Good hunting. El Bee 🐝

Edit: yes Lance, I think the premiere law enforcement agency on the planet went from 9mm to 10mm then to 40 S&W and back to 9mm. Read Sarcasm in that description, the FBI will never recover it’s stature because of that slug, Comey.

[ March 07, 2019, 07:09 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TOM64
Knows what it's all about
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted March 08, 2019 05:21 AM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes El Bee, the Army wanted a pistol that could be a full size battle gun or a compact carry gun. You can buy frames, slides and barrels over the counter, the inside action has the serial number and barrels are mostly drop in fit evidently.

With today's CNC machines, I guess it should be possible to keep tolerance's close enough.

I don't see the need but they didn't ask my opinion.

Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 08, 2019 07:58 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I never understood that Beretta.

What I really don't understand is 9mm! Just because NATO? Since when did we get parts and ammo from NATO, in a pinch? Weak argument, just standardize 7.62 NATO, and then what? Go next door for a cup of sugar, or a box of 9mm, I'm running low. I'm starting to wonder about NATO? Why the hell do we need it? And the assholes cheat! Something about how they only spend 1% of something and we pick up the slack? Europeans sure have a good deal, the ol' USA pays for their defense. What suckers.If they don't care, why should we? How many times do we bail them out? And, they never learn!

This European Union bullshit is really stupid. Russia has a shitload of natural gas, and that's all they got. So, Europeans are out on a limb, where do they get the energy to heat their homes? The same place the Ukrainians get it, Russia, and then they cut off the supply. I think, at one time that Trump offered to sell Natural gas to Europe but they don't want to offend the fucking Russians. Sounds like "Collusion"?

Anyway, Russia is looking more like second rate these days. China is the bigger threat and there again, we did it to ourselves. Look how quickly they went from a backwater to an economic powerhouse. And, we let it happen. We could have ruled the world a long time ago, but apparently, we aren't interested? I'm not interested. The one thing we have going for ourselves is the financial apparatus. Somehow, the United States controls virtually all international transactions. It's not possible for North Korea to just do business without our institutions. Iran also found out they can't do a whole lot without us, unless the sneaky Europeans pull some underhanded stuff. When you think about it, the United States controls money everywhere in the world. It's hard to believe that everything goes through our system. But, it does. When it comes to world trade, it doesn't happen without our system. I don't understand it, but forget the Zurich Gnomes, it's the US banking system that makes everything go round. All these 3rd world dictators can't order a cheeseburger unless they funnel it through American banks.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

DiYi
Wears wife's pink panties under his camo for good luck. (yeah, right!)
Member # 3785

Icon 1 posted March 09, 2019 07:26 AM      Profile for DiYi           Edit/Delete Post 
Here ya go Leonard,you are right.
https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2019/03/08/us-air-force-begins-issuing-m18-pistol/

Posts: 623 | From: SoDak | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters