The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » You need a new rifle

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: You need a new rifle
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted January 09, 2019 04:02 PM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
Say you had to go out today and buy a new factory rifle for whatever the need might be, coyotes, deer, whatever.

What would you get? Make, model, caliber. What catches your eye as an off-the-rack rifle that offers quite a bit.

No modifications except for maybe some trigger tuning and the minor stuff that people do without reworking the entire rifle.

[ January 09, 2019, 04:04 PM: Message edited by: Lonny ]

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted January 09, 2019 04:32 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
That’s a tough one Lonny. I wouldn’t buy any factory rifle these days. I would buy a donor older 700 action and build from there. The only factory rifle I like anymore is the CZ.

[ January 09, 2019, 04:33 PM: Message edited by: UTcaller ]

Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Knows what it's all about
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted January 09, 2019 09:31 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
Barrett Fieldcraft would be the rifle but caliber I'm unsure of yet.
Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted January 09, 2019 10:40 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
I kind of like the Nosler rifles? While back I shot a couple...in .26 and .33. I think it was called a model 48? I thought they were pretty cool....not sure how " off the rack" they are though..seems almost semi custom?. Was just handling a lightweight Kimber mountain rifle in 6.5 Creed today and it was pretty sweet. Those things are super light. What about Sako's?..people rave on em.
Mark

[ January 09, 2019, 10:42 PM: Message edited by: Lone Howl ]

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted January 10, 2019 03:45 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
I have not even looked at new factory rifles for a long, long time. It has been over 20 years since I bought one. I don't even know what's what these days.

Oh, wait a minute, not entirely true. I bought a new Rock River AR about a year ago. Plain factory rifle and all I did to it was put a trigger in it. Don't think that's what you had in mind though.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Eddie
Member # 4324

Icon 1 posted January 10, 2019 05:14 AM      Profile for Eddie   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I grew up shooting single shot rifles and still do today, I like the TC Encore with a new spring kit in the trigger. For a bolt gun it would be savage 110 not anything fancy just a good shooting hunting gun. I have never had a gun built always use what I could bye off the shelf. The old rem. 788 and 110 have been good guns for me. Now I don't shoot paper or long range I use guns for hunting, so if I get a gun that will shoot a 3 shot group at a 100yds that you can cover with a quarter then I'm happy.
Posts: 275 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 12 posted January 10, 2019 05:32 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
No bolt rifles interest me, cuz I'm snobbed up & ruined on custom bolt actions. So, if I had to pick a factory rifle just to have for fun, I'd grab a Marlin 1894c, (.357Mag/.38Special) and swap a big hoop lever & ghost ring sights on to it!

Should add:
Buddy grabbed a Ruger American with some Black Friday coupons for barely $400. Has a camo stock & cerakoted barrel/action, radial brake, two stage trigger, and....AICS based bottom metal. Pretty nice turn key hunting rig, and it shot purdy good. It took me exactly three shots to zero up @ 200yds, and he peppered the steel with another three. Then, went out and schwacked a deer that evening...

Caliber??? You guessed it! 6.5Creedmoor....factory 127gr ammo. LMAO!

[ January 10, 2019, 05:46 AM: Message edited by: knockemdown ]

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted January 10, 2019 05:50 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Lonny, kind of a stretch to call a "factory" rifle, so didn't really think of it initially...
But, if you consider a Seeking Havak Pro Hunter an"off the shelf" rifle, then that'd get my vote. Glen spec that rifle nearly identical to how I like mine built...

[ January 10, 2019, 05:52 AM: Message edited by: knockemdown ]

DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted January 10, 2019 05:51 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Dang Fred!

I was gonna say that! I really was.

Ten years ago, I had the wants for an 1894C .357. Never moved on it though. But a buddy just did. We took it out for it's first outing bunny blasting a couple weeks ago. Zeroed the factory sights on a dirt clod, and he proceeded to slap the crap out of some jacks with it. I burned a bit of ammo standing around the tailgate making tin cans dance. What a hoot! If I had cash to spare, I'd have to have me one too. Just too much fun.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted January 10, 2019 05:56 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Holes schmokes, that IS funny!

Have a neat-O laminated "Win-tuff" 9422 that's just a dandy, and always thought a slightly more powerful big bro would be a pisser...

There are some used 1894c around for about $400, and would be tempted if a walked in somewhere and saw one for that. But, got Taco toppings to squirrel away for... [Wink]

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 10, 2019 07:13 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. I went through the phase where there was no factory rifle that was worthy. A few years ago, I bought a MODEL 700 LS?? I'd dig it out but I still can't get in my safe! Anyway, it's a perfectly serviceable light handling , reasonably accurate for day stands and as soon as I saw it, I had to have it, even though it was chambered in 223, which I hate. So, before I ever fired it I sent it out to be punched to Ackley. It's okay, it's killed some coyotes but the very first cripple that got away, I hung it up and it hasn't been used since. Now, when I kill them with the 22-243Middlested, they stay dead.

Anyway, be that as it may, I'm a little surprised that nobody mentions several Kimber's as an adequate and reasonably priced bolt gun? Also, talking about fun lever guns, I think the Henry's are pretty cool, there is an Alaskan model in 45/70 that I wouldn't mind having just for giggles. Although I have a friend who has been there and done that, and he says, forget metallic cartridges in the bush. Everybody he knows carries a pump 12 gauge with slugs, for those unexpected encounters with dangerous bears.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31450 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted January 10, 2019 08:21 AM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
I have had 3 Kimber Montana's and they are my only bolt guns but I'd like to try a Barrett Fieldcraft.

I sold my 223AI because my 204 Ruger is hard to beat and the 22-250AI beat both of them in usefulness. So 2 Montana's to cover bobcat's to elephants here at my house.

I heard several horror stories about the Montana's but the 3 I've had have all shot just fine. They do open up a little when you heat them up but so does everything else with a pencil barrel. Here's 20 shot's, I shot 10 walked down and looked at them then shot 10 more back to back.
 -
And I shot these over my range bag because I forgot my rest and bag.
 -

Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted January 10, 2019 09:20 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Here at work we have a little side business selling (GASP) guns, well..we have a guy that does..and all manner of rifles come thru and I fondle every one of them. On the high end weve had several Fierce rifles, Seekins, Kimbers, lots of custom precision comp rifles, etc. We sell a shit ton of Ruger Americans and guys really like em. That damn Ruger Precision is a super hot seller.

I just fondles a stainless Sako, and its kinda neat.
Mark

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
earthwalker
Cultural Editor & middleweight arm wrestling champion/Intermountain Region
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted January 11, 2019 04:21 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Lonny,
We were in a big town just after Christmas. Ended up buying a Browning Hell's Canyon X-bolt long range 6.5 Creedmoor with a 26" barrel and muzzle brake. Have yet to shoot it. Been waiting on ordered shell casings, bullets, mounting items to mount the scope. Should be good to go next week.
If it shoots like everyone has talked about it and grouping at 300-400 yards I'll be happy. Forgot the trigger can be fine tuned on this rifle. It comes in 300 win-mag and 6.5 creed moor.

They have a tactical in the same rifle but it felt terrible they made the stock funky (is the best way to describe it). The long range is much better to handle.

After the elk handed our butts to us rethinking and regrouping on the rifles, bullets and scopes for next year. Started early so it would all be done and dialed in before we have to go back to work.

[ January 11, 2019, 04:23 AM: Message edited by: earthwalker ]

--------------------
another long hot smoky summer coming

Posts: 1105 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 11, 2019 02:13 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Earthwalker, I suggest you spend the rest of the year until next season, practicing.
Set up a 55 gallon drum at 400 yards, turned on it's side. Shoot at it whenever you feel rested and lucky. Keep track of the number of shots and walk out there next August and count the hits. Be honest and determine how many of those hits would be lethal, in your opinion, and decide if you really are forced to shoot at those distances? A 6.5Creedmoor might be adequate with the right bullet, with a center of mass hit, and your ability to dope wind conditions, and taking into consideration that you aren't stressed, as when shooting at critters.

I'm not saying you can't do it. For a cool competent shot, it can be done, with adequate firepower. In my opinion, that Creedmoor is a little light in the Loafers for elk at 400 yards, but that's just my opinion. But, any lung shot is a killshot. Hit that center of mass and you win. Good luck. Not meant to be picking on you, I'm offering good advice. For sure, t's a very decent rifle, hope it works for you.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted January 11, 2019 07:02 PM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
That is the whole reason for doing this right now.
The gun range is less than a mile from the house with 500-1,000 yard shooting set up.
I'm use to 200-300 yard shooting. Up here it seems to be 300-400 yard shooting leaning more towards 450 usually.
My plan is to shoot when I'm up here on my days off all summer.
But I know life gets in the way of plans well intended.

Can't wait to shoot it and see how much it kicks and kills the shoulder.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 11, 2019 07:34 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
If you are familiar with 8mm'06 type of recoil, 6.5 Creedmoor won't even wake you up.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted January 12, 2019 04:33 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm use to .308 and .270. I know I should be using the .270 but a few years ago it really started to bother the shoulder just packing it.
The other half took over the .308.
He put a new scope on the 7mm last night after all the new install components arrived in aiding him. He always canted the scopes.
Hoping to get some stuff reloaded for the 7mm to use on elk .308 as a back up. Kicking around the idea or restocking the .270 and so on.
We have the fire power just the lack of time to shoot all summer.
Now before you guys lay into me about shooting off the lookout.
Seen too many fires caused by shooting in the dead of summer and I can't stand the noise up there.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 12, 2019 08:19 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well then, you don't really "need" that Browning, you just wanted it. Any of those you mentioned probably have more recoil? And, I don't think it, (Hell's Canyon) is a lightweight, so I'm not up on 6.5 bullet weights, I guess around 150 grains or so, but in a case with less capacity than a 270, which usually uses 130-150 grain bullets, and generally has a case capacity of (what) 52-53 grains? So, I'm guessing that your recoil, if you are concerned, is going to be less perceived than a BDL 700 chambered in 270W. (maybe 13-15 ft lbs?) I'm saying this without actually knowing the case capacity of a 6.5Creedmoor. I should probably look it up instead of guessing? Meanwhile, don't worry about it, fear not. I predict you will be able to handle it. Based on what you already are familiar with. This reminds me, I need to do a lot of maintenance in HM, before I can accept more members. <sigh>

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

NVWalt
Does not claim to be overly bright!
Member # 375

Icon 1 posted January 12, 2019 01:18 PM      Profile for NVWalt           Edit/Delete Post 
Just wondering what the 6.5 Creedmore does that a 260 Rem doesn't?
Have a few very custom bolt pistols in wildcat cartridges but the rifles are all stockers . A 22-250 Savage and 17 Rem 700 in medium and light barrels for varmints and coyotes and the good ole stock Rem and Win for 12 guage #4 buck for coyotes. I would have a fit if I took out a nice custom bolt gun hunting and had it end up looking like my ,so called, work guns. I do seem to have two left feet. Could be the problem there LOL.
But a custom built and stocked gun is a true heirloom piece and I do envy those that can afford them.

--------------------
Support Communism and help destroy the United States of America ! VOTE DEMOCRAT. "In the end, they aren't coming after me. They are coming after you!" D.Trump

Posts: 636 | From: Tellico Plains, TN | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Brent Parker
Member # 4354

Icon 1 posted February 06, 2019 05:53 AM      Profile for Brent Parker   Email Brent Parker         Edit/Delete Post 
If buying factory the only thing I would consider is a Tikka, as far as I am concerned as close to a custom action as you can get without going custom. I can tell you there machining is pretty precise. I have been able to take multiple barrels in different caliber and all but one headspaced. I had one I needed to take .002 off the shoulder to make right. I think CZ does a pretty good job as well. Triggers are good in them and with a spring change can get below 1 lb. if that's your thing. They break pretty dam good as well.
I shot out a couple of 22-250 barrels on my current one and spun up a .22 Creedmoor. I just finished it. Now to get some glass on it and do load work.

Posts: 172 | From: 2 miles east of Vic | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 06, 2019 09:04 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you are correct about Tikka, for the most part. That's from my limited experience. They have a recoil lug that I don't like, at all. The only one I worked on, I threw away the aluminum gadget and machined one out of tool steel.

One thing for sure, there are many choices out there, depending on your personal definition of a decent off the shelf rifle.

One thing I have semi grown out of, is building a rifle from scratch. Not that they aren't worth the effort, but it's the whole nine yards, especially since I gravitate towards the exotic chamberings, with the expensive dies and the brass that needs work, etc. It's always a crapshoot with those specs, the twist, freebore, and other stuff I can't remember.

It's like those guys that never made the leap to handloading. Now, I guess you could say, with the premium factory cartridges available, (at premium prices) that searching for that perfect combination of propellant, primer and projectile, who needs it? Especially when, if the truth were known, all that shit is secondary to a first class barrel. My old partner was a sloppy reloader, but he bought good barrels and they all shot.

However, I find working with my hands to be good therapy. And, there is a lot of satisfaction in a hundred rounds of precision loaded ammunition that you don't get buying expensive factory cartridges. If they ever get to the point where handloading is a waste of time, I might still do it. But, I'm not holding my breath, especially unless you manage to buy a thousand rounds with the same code. Unlikely.

Where was I? Oh, I just read about a factory rifle in either Guns and Ammo or American Hunter, they only two that I subscribe to, and they did a writeup on a $3000 factory rifle. With numbers like that, I think I can come up with comparable doing it piece by piece, myself and do it for less. It's just that....the time involved, although it's like every little piece is like Christmas. It's a phase, then you start looking at lever guns, but not as a joke. lol

Did I mention that I bought an old Marlin about ten years ago? Guy was desperate, paid $100. I think it's a Model 1883 in 44-40. Never fired it but it looks like, at one time someone used it as a jack handle, or for sure it rode behind the seat for a million miles or so? Might make a decent wall hanger?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

DiYi
Wears wife's pink panties under his camo for good luck. (yeah, right!)
Member # 3785

Icon 1 posted February 08, 2019 06:29 AM      Profile for DiYi           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd build but if factory Tikka,Bergara,B Fieldcraft,Seekins,Kimber and the lil Ruger worth shooting.
Posts: 623 | From: SoDak | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
DiYi
Wears wife's pink panties under his camo for good luck. (yeah, right!)
Member # 3785

Icon 1 posted February 14, 2019 04:29 AM      Profile for DiYi           Edit/Delete Post 
Lonny just saw this:

https://www.rokslide.com/seekins-precision-havak-review/

Posts: 623 | From: SoDak | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 14, 2019 09:34 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for that. Very interesting. Imagine, carbon fiber magazine! And, of course, must have fluting and a threaded muzzle. Personally, you can keep that fast twist fluting on the barrel, I didn't like it at all.

Now, I think about the Model 700, (300WM) I have carried for over 30 years, no worries that I will shoot out the barrel and I can't find a single thing that is missing compared to the Seekins. In fact, it has a couple of touches that the Seekins doesn't have, and it has always printed 5 into an honest one inch group.

So, I'm not exactly motivated, it feels good not to envy a modern tricked out rifle like that. Color me smug.

Good hunting. El Bee

PS oh yeah, the damned barrel isn't threaded! That really sucks! <sarcasm>

[ February 14, 2019, 09:35 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters