The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » My first hand loads - shotgun (Page 5)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: My first hand loads - shotgun
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted November 29, 2016 09:35 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Basically you keep track of the days and hours you hunt and turn them in to the DWR. Is how I understand it.
Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Brent Parker
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4354

Icon 1 posted November 30, 2016 10:28 AM      Profile for Brent Parker   Email Brent Parker         Edit/Delete Post 
DAA,

Glad you had the chance to try the hevi shot BB. How did you feel it compared to your F shot buckshot load? I am really think that load is going to be your best compromise load for all factors. Range, price and killing power. Killed a few more with the Hornaday BB load the other day. It has done well to 40 yards but after that plan on hitting them again.

Brent

Posts: 172 | From: 2 miles east of Vic | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 30, 2016 12:21 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, agree with Brent. Similar to reinventing the wheel, just count on a shotgun being very reliable out to 40 yards. Anything beyond is gravy, but don't bet your life on it.

I will say that I have read what Paul Melching wrote about his experience killing coyotes way out beyond 40 and Paul is nobody's fool. If he is getting results like that, I have to think it's credible. Maybe he has the formula or what the hell you might call it, but for most of us normal people, it's just hard to achieve, at least consistently.

I'm just very conservative about long range anything, so don't get me started on 500 yard 17Remington kills. Just lobbing one in the boiler room is an accomplishment, much less...uh oh, don't mean to get off topic!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted November 30, 2016 12:48 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Brent, I've only killed one coyote with the F load so far. Only shot at one.

Got lucky and hit nine of them with the HS BB load over the weekend.

So, pretty lopsided sample size.

But, the one I did kill with the F, was more impressive to me than any of the nine hit with the BB. That was a BIG coyote, at almost 40, turning away and it was dead in it's tracks.

So, if that holds up, then I'd say you are definitely correct.

My plan is to stick with the NP F load from here out, until I get a good sample size - ten or more. So I'll have at least a little bit of experience to compare.

But so far, the HS BB load, really deadly at under 40. Really. Over that, yeah, plan on hitting them again. To the point that, if it looks like you can only get one into them, pass... If it's over 40 and running away, pass...

Hopefully, the snow doesn't lock me out and I can get another dozen or so with the F shot in the next few weeks. Snow situation is looking grim though. Once it gets so deep, I can't get around in my Jeep and that's pretty much the end of that. Some of my good spots, it's already too deep.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Brent Parker
Member # 4354

Icon 1 posted December 01, 2016 06:05 AM      Profile for Brent Parker   Email Brent Parker         Edit/Delete Post 
Dave,
Thanks for the update. While I was only using BB lead, it wasn't nearly as impressive as DC T shot was on coyotes. I will know more in the future but looking at the chart you posted and from talking to a few other guys there is a fine line between shot size, weight and speed in making a good coyote load it seems. I remember how well steel F killed geese from my 10 ga. years ago and when I saw they had nickel plated lead F buckshot I thought it should have some potential. Christmas and the grandkids are eating my disposable income for now but I am already looking for a loader.
Brent

DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted December 01, 2016 08:38 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
I found some really good prices on used Mec's when I was looking. Started out looking for a 600 Jr., was planning to spend less than $70, but stumbled across a like new Sizemaster here locally for $90 so I snagged it up.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 01, 2016 08:50 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
It would be nice if this thread evolved into the next positive 50 yard coyote load!

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Brent Parker
Member # 4354

Icon 1 posted December 01, 2016 09:43 AM      Profile for Brent Parker   Email Brent Parker         Edit/Delete Post 
DAA,

I have been watching craigslist but nothing so far. May end up buying new if I have too. I want to go with a Sizemaster though.

Leonard,
DC T is a 50 yard load at least for me. Have shot several over 50 with it and killed them all.
However I agree it would be nice to find a great 50 yard load that cost 1.00 instead of 5.00 a shot. I am hoping this load DAA is using with the F shot is going to be the one.

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 01, 2016 01:12 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I agree, Brent.

Here's my history, stated before. From the truck, 90% of the kills are with rifle but occasionally a coyote pops up, unexpectedly, close and moving fast.

This is night hunting, primarily. So, since we always keep a shottie up there for just such situations, flatten the volunteer and continue the stand.

But, Always keep an eye on that dead coyote. Sometimes five minutes, occasionally ten minutes later, he will get up and romp off while we might be distracted with something else.

This is why my attitude is that many shotgunned coyotes require two shots. Maybe I'm just a poor shot? One thing I'm hearing is aim for the head. I've always concentrated on center of mass. I might need to work on that?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted December 01, 2016 03:27 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so green I shouldn't even comment. But, my need to shoot them again seems to have gone down quite a bit since I started shooting them in the face.

A little stalactite of goo from a BB hole in the face...

-

Edit: Wrong picture!

- DAA

[ December 01, 2016, 03:28 PM: Message edited by: DAA ]

--------------------

Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted December 01, 2016 03:43 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
When it comes to green, I got you by a longshot Dave! I have scoured my brain to remember every coyote Ive ever killed with a shotgun, comes to a grand total of two, both shot out the passenger side window of a moving pick-up truck.
Now that's some sorry fucking ethics ehh? Picture a scene from Daktari, that's about how that played out. Damn lucky we never rolled that old 53 chevy!

Posts: 1627 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 01, 2016 05:11 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
So the pot calls the kettle black while ground sluicing? But, it was only two, right? Just poking at ya, you know it's in good humor.

Everybody has their ethical considerations, whatever they may be? I know a guy that wouldn't shoot a damned coyote unless he was standing stock still, immobile and it also seemed like the coyote should be unmoving for a count of 3, maybe longer? This resulted in many coyotes getting a snootful of human scent and never stopping, and many missed opportunities, and many gritted teeth, and perhaps a word or two exchanged? But, what are you going to do?

I'll tell you what. Get that asshole off the gun! Which is what we did. Let him contribute in other ways, like shagging dead coyotes, like driving, but get him off the gun. If he wanted to hunt on our team. Can you imagine a man so absorbed that he actually shot and put a hole in his own truck, while drawing a bead on a moving coyote. I can't either. And, this is a guy that could shoot groups in the .1's, routinely, and unfortunately, just on paper. He was the worst shot on game I've ever seen. But, not too too bad with a shotgun, if I'm being honest.

Oh well. But everybody has their cross to bear.

I'm interested in knowing what kind of recoil these new custom loads have? Let's call Dead Coyote a 10 for comparative sake. I mean, that's not a 2 ounce load, what are they 1 5/8 oz or what is it? So, it it velocity, the powder charge, or what?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Aaron Rhoades
Member # 4234

Icon 1 posted December 01, 2016 05:55 PM      Profile for Aaron Rhoades           Edit/Delete Post 
Likewise, I'm also interested in recoil. I can't imagine that it's any more pleasant to shoot but I have to ask, is there any gains in the (less)shoulder bruising department?
Posts: 155 | From: Washington | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted December 01, 2016 06:58 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Negative. 1-1/2 Oz at 1350 or 1-3/4 at 1260 still kicks like a mule!

- DAA

--------------------

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted December 02, 2016 01:03 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Lately I have been shooting the factory Remington express 3 inch #4 buck. The velocity is around 1250 fps and they have 41 pellets. They seem to hit coyotes damn hard out to 40 yards. Kind of lost my taste for the BB'S to many followup shots for me. Both with the lead Hornady's and the Hevishot goose BB's.

Good Hunting Chad

Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Brent Parker
Member # 4354

Icon 1 posted December 02, 2016 05:30 AM      Profile for Brent Parker   Email Brent Parker         Edit/Delete Post 
The recoil has never been an issue for me. I really never thought it was that bad. I spent most of my late 20's hunting predators in the mornings and a lot of pass shooting geese and ducks in the afternoons. But I must admit that shooting from the bench is not near as much fun.

I just see the shotgunning as another tool to put more fur in the truck. O'Gorman said it best. Its not how you put the fur in the shed that determines how good a season you had, but how much fur you have at the end of season that determines how good a year you had. Whether its trapped, snared, shot, ran over with the truck or killed with a claw hammer I really don't care. As long as it goes to the house with me.

Chad, I have not been very impressed with Hornadays BB load either. Most coyotes with it have needed another shot. My 870 patterns it way better than my Benelli though.

A place the shotgun has really shinned is fox hunting. Our greys are pretty nice fur wise and until last year always used a .22 magnum. Last year I went back to the shotgun and my numbers have went way up. A modified choke and some #2 shot has been the ticket. Putting up shotgunned fur has also been a pleseant surprise. Not near the work as a lot of rifle shot fur unless its a .17 or .20 caliber in my experience.

Brent

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 02, 2016 05:36 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
There it is: kicks like a mule! No free lunch.

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters