The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » "Sweet spot" for different cartridges.. (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: "Sweet spot" for different cartridges..
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted May 10, 2016 10:25 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
I definitely don't have the experience with a .223 that Vic has that's for sure. Gave up on it a very long time ago. Guess I just didn't have the patience. Way to many runners for me. And to damn slowwwwww.....lol

Good Hunting Chad

Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted May 10, 2016 10:52 AM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Addendum to my post; for many, many years, a .223 was all I had, a wonderfully accurate Ruger #3 carbine, wish I still had it. When my kids got bigger and my wife began working, money was not so tight and that's when I began my gun trading and caliber experimenting.
The last 20 years, all my predator hunting calibers have been sub .223 calibers. Ive had a couple .19 calibers and half a dozen .17s and .22 hornets, the .223 is just to much gun for the way I hunt, to loud, and messy blow ups. I haven't used a .223 for anything in many years now.

Posts: 1627 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted May 10, 2016 02:58 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
I will say though the .223 does have it's uses. They make a great donor for making .17,.19, and .20 Caliber wildcats. [Wink]

Good Hunting Chad

edit: And I did kind of like my .223AI when I had it......

[ May 10, 2016, 03:00 PM: Message edited by: UTcaller ]

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 10, 2016 04:59 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
See, they can't be convinced because they keep saying, "Hey, I killed X # of coyotes with a 223. These guys gravitating to subcalibers, it's a certain segment, some kind of left brain stuff I don't understand.

I know that a 22-250 Ackley kills much better under all circumstances and conditions. Case closed.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
R.Shaw
Peanut Butter Man, da da da da DAH!
Member # 73

Icon 1 posted May 10, 2016 08:38 PM      Profile for R.Shaw           Edit/Delete Post 
Late February, I met a friend I hunt with a lot northwest of Gillette for a hunt and he had brought along a friend of his named Dan. That night while we were just sitting around, I asked Dan what he was shooting and he replied 223. He was not happy and a little pissed when I told him to be prepared for spinners and runners.

Mid afternoon the next day a coyote comes in and stops about 225 yards away. I tell Dan to shoot it and the coyote drops. He turns to me with a confident,shit-eating grin and cockily says...that ain't no spinner. Having not taken my eyes off the coyote, I see it jump up and take off running like a bastard. I turn to him and say...nope, this one's a runner. They finally get it killed going down a gully and it was still going.

BTW...Those Wyoming coyotes are some of the toughest I have ever had to call.

Posts: 545 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted May 10, 2016 08:50 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
.223 should not be used for coyote hunting...ever.
Im locking this thread!
Mark

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted May 10, 2016 08:52 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, ok...this thread is unlocked..carry on.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 10, 2016 09:18 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
That's funny.

My experience with 223 was short and kinda shocking. I couldn't believe well hit coyotes would do so much fussing, none were over 100 yards. Of course, it wasn't exactly fair. I was using (actually recycling) bullets that my Swift didn't like. And, this was in my trusty AR15, I don't even know the twist but it's an original Colt A1, now a safe queen, way in the back.

I had no desire to work it out, I had seen enough. It sure as hell didn't kill like my Swift. So, why would somebody use a cartridge that won't kill like a Swift? CASE CLOSED

I'm locking this!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted May 11, 2016 09:08 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Randy, when I read your post, I could hear you in my head, delivering that "nope, you've got a runner" line...
Thanks for the belly laugh!!!

P.S.
I agree with Chad.
.223Rem is GREAT. Just neck it down (or UP), and you'll have something fun to mess with. Just picked up another 1K surplus, prepped LC brass for dirt cheap. Can't beat .223 based cartridges for economy & convenience...

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Knows what it's all about
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted May 11, 2016 09:14 AM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
I guess they are a little dangerous with those bullets bouncing off of everything...
Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 11, 2016 10:13 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
So Tom. Your position is, what? 223 is "good enough"? Kills every bit as good as those 22-250 Ackley's? And, doesn't ruin fur? Is just right for the size of the game we hunt? Excellent economy, save on powder, lots of surplus brass! You are a minimalist, why use overkill? All of the above?

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted May 11, 2016 11:55 AM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
While my 22-250AI is the bomb if I want to reach way across yonder to kill a coyote, a call gives me the option of getting my shots under 100 yards and most under 50. So the 223 is adequate for my uses.

I hate contests and don't do animal control. Heck I think I only went out 3 times this year and killed a half a dozen. Started my marathon training in January instead of hunting so my opinion doesn't really make much difference. I just don't think the average caller needs more but you know, everyone's gotta kill em at 300 yards... Like Cronk said, learn to call and you won't need a cannon.

I did sell the 243 AI due to overkill.

Lone Howl
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted May 11, 2016 12:06 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Huh? Marathon? Im interested, please explain.
Mark

--------------------

TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted May 11, 2016 01:32 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
Daughter wanted to run a full marathon while she was still young enough to do it and wanted me to train with her. We started training in January for the April 24th OKC memorial and frankly it scared me a little. Once we made our 20 mile training run I was confident we could do it and we did.

But it consumed our lives and I'm glad to be done but she's looking for a fall marathon so we can try for a better time... I never learn.

TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted May 11, 2016 03:21 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
Before
 -
After and yes she's crying.
 -
I just got my CS24 caller ugraded and back yesterday. My plan is to play catch up on the coyotes ASAP!

I was also gonna say, the last runner I witnessed was from a 17 Rem back around the first of the year. The one before that was with my 22-250AI last year so go figure.

Lone Howl
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted May 11, 2016 04:05 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
My hats off to you 2! Awsome.
Mark

--------------------

DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted May 11, 2016 04:26 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Hell... I'm a pretty decent walker. I consider walking 26 miles non-stop a shit sandwich.

I'm in awe...

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted May 11, 2016 04:32 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Long ago; I spent a short weekend hunting with a gent toting a 6mm Remington. If I based my opinion of the 6mm killing coyotes, within the constraints of that short time frame, I would proclaim to the world, that the 6mm was a very poor performer on coyotes, maybe fine deer medicine, but just not the ticket for our desert coyotes, to many runners and blow ups for my taste.
Of course, the 6mm is fine for coyotes. If I tagged along with the guy using it for a dozen different weekends, and witnessed several dozen coyotes shot, Im sure I'd be a believer in the 6mm for coyotes, but based on what I saw, in that short time span, I would swear it sucked for coyotes.

Posts: 1627 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
3 Toes
El Guapo
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted May 11, 2016 04:33 PM      Profile for 3 Toes           Edit/Delete Post 
So Shaw posts he was hunting near Gillette. Funny, I live near Gillette and take care of the north end of the county. You would think he'd call a guy for a beer or something. And by the way, I took Dave north of Gillette and we called coyotes with great ease! Seriously, you'd think a guy might call, or e-mail. Or maybe he heard about the grouchy old county trapper?

[ May 11, 2016, 04:37 PM: Message edited by: 3 Toes ]

--------------------
Violence may not be the best option....
But it is still an option.

Posts: 1034 | From: out yonder | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted May 11, 2016 05:20 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
I am just basing my experience with the .223 from one full season using one. I know that's not alot of time vested in using it. But What I saw I did not like. That's all... No scientific evidence based on the Cartridge. Just saw time and time again, spinners, runners, flipping and flopping, more than I care to deal with. Never seem to have that problem with my .204 Rugers, .17 Tactical, .22-250 or my .22-250 Ackley.

Then I start hearing the same results by some here too.

But for the guys that swear by them I will keep my eye out for any good deals on them I can pass on to you. [Wink]

Good Hunting Chad

[ May 11, 2016, 05:21 PM: Message edited by: UTcaller ]

Frank
CAN START A FIRE WITH A BUCK KNIFE AND A ROCK
Member # 6

Icon 1 posted May 11, 2016 06:54 PM      Profile for Frank   Author's Homepage   Email Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
AZ-Hunter, my guess is you don't hunt at night and you are probly a good shot. You know dammed well a .22 in the head is lethal but you get some range going along with a bad shot and it's not hard to imagine runners....especially with newbies. No doubt I've seen bang-flops with a .223 but not so often at the longer ranges....I'll say often enough to notice.

Look, not everyone is a good shot like you might be. All things equal, velocity gives you more range and room for error........... physics don't lie.

--------------------
"Truth is no prostitute, that throws herself away upon those who do not desire her; she is rather so coy a beauty that he who sacrifices everything to her cannot even then be sure of her favor".

Posts: 644 | From: North Dakota | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
R.Shaw
Peanut Butter Man, da da da da DAH!
Member # 73

Icon 1 posted May 11, 2016 07:53 PM      Profile for R.Shaw           Edit/Delete Post 
Cal....I was pretty close to you but to the southeast. Got a little confused with my directions. Moorecroft is near where we were hunting.

I am not one to impose or force myself into a situation, but if you are serious send me your contact email or something. I will come for a visit with notepad and pencil in hand. Seriously. arshaw@actcom.net

We hunted from Riverton to Rawlins and to Rock Springs. Private, public, and reservation. October thru most of December it was business as usual, but January thru February it was tough as hell. At least for us.

Oh...and 2 days after returning home, Dan made the contacts to have a custom 22/243 ai built. Quick learner.

Posts: 545 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
3 Toes
El Guapo
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted May 12, 2016 03:21 AM      Profile for 3 Toes           Edit/Delete Post 
I will send you my contact stuff Shaw. And I was just razzing you about the calling. By January in this country it's done. Too many callers, too many contests, just like every where else. I do all my calling this time of year with dogs. Winter time is for hot coffee and trapping. It's cold out.

--------------------
Violence may not be the best option....
But it is still an option.

Posts: 1034 | From: out yonder | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 12, 2016 08:21 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
First of all, Vic is turning the screws on me. That was my 6mm that failed for some unknown reason, but I will not judge by a single event. That's that same gun with which I killed everything I saw, one shot, in South Africa, including the elk size Kudu and a few jackals.

Anyway, if Shaw is meeting my Wyoming hero I want in, as he stills owes me one; shaw does. Forget the January stuff though, I've been there, done that! But, the cats are nice

Good hunting. El Bee

[ May 12, 2016, 08:21 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

tedo
Member # 4320

Icon 1 posted May 12, 2016 04:02 PM      Profile for tedo   Email tedo         Edit/Delete Post 
Back in the mid eighties I spent a summer in Greenland doing a seismic survey. During my stint as a dynamite shooter (50# per shot hole)I had a helper from the local village that was a hunter for the village. He used a Sako in .222 Remington for everything ie. musk-ox,fox,bears,hares, seals.During my travels in arctic Alaska it was unusual to see any rifles larger than a .243.
Posts: 73 | From: S.E. Arizona | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters