The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » 6.5 calibers

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 6.5 calibers
Aaron Rhoades
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4234

Icon 1 posted January 22, 2015 04:35 PM      Profile for Aaron Rhoades           Edit/Delete Post 
The 6.5 has long been something I wanted to have. Main reason being the high bc's to bullet weight. I've looked at most offerings and have seen that the ones I want are short on barrel life. On this gun I wanted something I could shoot for a long time without replacing barrels. Recently I decided that a .260rem ai would fit the bill, I would shoot the lighter 120gr range and get the velocity closer to where I wanted it. Then I heard about nitriding and researched the crap out of it and now I am considering the hot rods again. The main ones I am considering are 6.5wsm, 6.5saum, 6.5-06ai. Are there any I'm missing that fit in this club? Which one would you guys do and why? Brass availability? Also, Fred if you see this, I think I saw somewhere you had something called 6.5shamwow, what is that?
Posts: 155 | From: Washington | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted January 23, 2015 05:42 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Mornin' Aaron!
"Shamwow" is just a catchphrase for cartridges based on any of Remington's Short Action Ultra Magnums (SAUM).
Mine is a 6.5SAUM, based on GA Precision's 6.5 GAP 4s reamer. It has a .296" tight neck that requires turning, and .081" freebore.

I'm necking down & turning Norma .300SAUM brass.

My barrel is a fluted #4 Bartlein 1:8.5tw, 24"+ brake.
Running 140JLKS at a modest 3010fps (there's plenty more speed there) and 130Berger HVLDs @ 3200fps.

Took a doe @ ~265yds and a buck @ 655yds this past season with the 130s. Both were broadside passthrus. Took a doe year before with a 140JK @ ~350, same great results...

I don't have any 1sthand experience with any other 6.5mm, so I'd just be passing along what I've heard & read. But can tell ya that this 6.5 Shamwow is a fuckin' badazz...

FYI, Hornady is rumored to have a test batch of 6.5SAUM brass in the works. And the neck diameter is spec'ed to work with GAP's .296"nk reamer. Considering the only shortcomimg of the 6.5SAUM I found is the toil of brass prep, the availability of 'turn-key' brass on the horizon is welcomed news!

BTW, if you were wanting a 6.5SAUM, my 'smith has my 6.5 GAP 4s reamer in hand. He does great work, quick turnaround and very reasonable!

Two other 6.5s you didn't mention are at opposite ends of the spectrum, the 6.5x47L and the .26Nosler.

[ January 23, 2015, 05:44 AM: Message edited by: knockemdown ]

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 23, 2015 06:53 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
That 26 Nosler has kinda caught my eye. Seems to fit my definition of BADAZZ.

Other than that, what's the application, Aaron? You don't need 6.5 to kill coyotes.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31268 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted January 23, 2015 06:59 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
My brother has and loves a 6.5 Remington Mag.
Posts: 1550 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Aaron Rhoades
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4234

Icon 1 posted January 23, 2015 07:03 AM      Profile for Aaron Rhoades           Edit/Delete Post 
Surprisingly enough, I want to target shoot this one somewhat, that was one of the reasons for not wanting a barrel burner.
Posts: 155 | From: Washington | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 23, 2015 07:20 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
6.5 Rem Mag? Don't see many of them and most were chambered in either the Model 600 or 660. Seems like they did chamber the 700 at one time, briefly? Availability of brass comes to mind? And, did anybody but Remington ever mfg. cases? Remington is not even close to my first choice in brass, slightly ahead of Federal, maybe, as in last place and next to last place.

I owned a Model 660 once chambered in 6MM. It was stolen. My Model 600 is chambered in 6MM. That little rifle would be the last to go, if I was down to my last dollar. As I have said before, I have kids and grandkids that grew up toting that rifle. I hate to think about the fight over it when I'm gone.

From time to time, I have thought about screwing a new barrel on that gun. From a nostalgia point of view, I have considered the almost extinct 257 Roberts. It would just barely fit in a short action.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31268 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted January 23, 2015 08:26 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah my brothers is a 700 action. Built back in the late 60's I think. I know he has alot of factory ammo. But I don't know how much he has reloaded for it.
He also has a 700 in 6mm likes it too.
When we were kids my dad bought each of us a rifle to hunt deer with. I wanted a .270 win in the Remington 700 as did my youngest brother. But my brother just younger than me always wanting to be the odd one out got that 6.5 Remington mag.....
What's funny is just a couple years after I got that gun I lost damn near all interest in anything but Coyote hunting. Bought a .22-250 Remington and the obsession began. I did kill a few coyotes with that .270 though. Can't believe that was over 30 years ago. Time sure flies.

Good Hunting Chad

[ January 23, 2015, 08:30 AM: Message edited by: UTcaller ]

Posts: 1550 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters