The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » What is the process to have a bolt gun built? (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Author Topic: What is the process to have a bolt gun built?
92soggy
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4362

Icon 1 posted October 09, 2014 11:27 AM      Profile for 92soggy   Email 92soggy         Edit/Delete Post 
Here is the other one.
Trued Rem 700
Lilja #4 fluted and finished at 26"
Timney trigger
Weaver 4-20x50
 -

Posts: 39 | From: Washington | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
92soggy
Member # 4362

Icon 1 posted October 09, 2014 11:45 AM      Profile for 92soggy   Email 92soggy         Edit/Delete Post 
Some load testing with H414 and IMR3031, the velocity was around 4k max because that's all the higher I had loaded, could definitely go higher.

Forgot to mention we are using 30 grainers from Black Hole Bullets in Idaho.
 -
 -

[ October 09, 2014, 11:54 AM: Message edited by: 92soggy ]

Prune Picker
AR Forum Assistant Moderator-handgun GURU and dispenser of sage advice
Member # 4107

Icon 1 posted October 09, 2014 01:40 PM      Profile for Prune Picker   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Nice rifles guys, great groups also. I haven't loaded for your caliber but have used H414/WW760 a bit, I always found best grouping and lowest velocity spreads using a compressed load. I'm not saying H414 will be the best powder for you, just a tip if it's suitable. Keep your barrels clean and enjoy.

--------------------
mike

Posts: 1265 | From: "Oklahomie" | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 09, 2014 07:54 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I use a lot of H414, mostly 22 and 24 caliber.

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: many years ago, my first 25'06Ackley, built by P.O. Ackley, I used W760 usually with 100 gr. Sierra bullets. In my third 25'06, I discovered R22, and 100 gr. Ballistic Tips. Yeowser! Good for 200 FPS more than W760.

Good hunting. El Bee

[ October 09, 2014, 07:58 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted October 10, 2014 03:09 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Big Game or N550 might be worth considering in that chambering.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
92soggy
Member # 4362

Icon 1 posted October 10, 2014 02:07 PM      Profile for 92soggy   Email 92soggy         Edit/Delete Post 
We have been searching for big game for months and have yet to find any, so with coyote season fast approaching, we figured we better get out there and try some other powders.
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted October 10, 2014 10:55 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
RL15 and Varget with the 30 grain Kinders have worked very well in my .17 Tactical.
Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted October 11, 2014 10:33 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
That's the shits you can't find any Big Game. It's been a real winner in the large capacity .17's with 30's for a lot of rifles.

I'm kind of low on it, myself, now that I think about it. If I only use it for coyotes, which I think I will, I can get by a few more years at least, on what I have though.

I have a lot more N550, but I use it in several other rifles as well, including my working load for my 6/284 that I use for coyotes and a .22-250AI that I use for 'chucks. Probably have about eight pounds of it, but would feel better having another eight pounds...

That N550 is another winner in the Big Seventeens too.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 11, 2014 10:56 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Damn! I don't have 8 pounds of anything except for some unpredictable #2700. I guess I'm sort of a piker on stocking up?

But, have noticed that ammo is becoming more available. Not rimfire, but stuff I use, 44Mag, 45ACP, 40S&W, 32auto, 38Spl. and 25ACP. That's all I shoot. Seems like I can get all I want?

Bullets are a problem, right now. This bullshit about non-lead is idiotic. Lead is everywhere, abundant, contamination is a sick joke. I won't be buying copper bullets. The thing is, it's ridiculous! How many 22rf rifles are out there that use lead bullets? We always cave in to the radicals.

Like, another pet peeve of mine. (I seem to have many?) They won't ship kangaroo boots to The People's Republik! That's been a stupid useless law for 40 years, at least. No logic to it whatsoever. I don't know that I need kangaroo boots but fail to see how lawmakers caved in to bunny huggers over some mysterious threat?

But, they always win. We are always on the defense, trying to be reasonable. I say: Fuck 'em!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted October 11, 2014 12:37 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, lead free sucks.
Mark

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
CrossJ
SECOND PLACE: PAUL RYAN Look-a-like contest
Member # 884

Icon 1 posted October 11, 2014 12:43 PM      Profile for CrossJ   Email CrossJ         Edit/Delete Post 
92, I have just over 1/2lb of Big Game. I don't even know why I have it. I will gladley do some trading.....any imr4198? I gotta make some room for all these other 8lb kegs....lol

--------------------
A friend will help you move. A good friend will help you move a body.

Posts: 1025 | From: on a water tower | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Duckdog
Member # 3842

Icon 1 posted October 11, 2014 12:48 PM      Profile for Duckdog           Edit/Delete Post 
LB,
Any idea on the reasoning (as if they need one) for the kangaroo ban?
Is kangaroo known to cause cancer in California? [Wink]

Posts: 205 | From: Ks | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 11, 2014 01:44 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
No, it's a animal cruelty issue! Australia shoots them for friggin' dog food, they are no where near endangered, and Australia is very militant on other indigenous wildlife, especially birds. No export of hook bills, at all; for instance. That's code for parrots, for you avian challenged individuals.

The single reason why I never eat at Jack in The Box is because many many years ago, there was a big scandal where they were caught using kangaroo meat in their hamburgers. I guess it was a mistake but the point is, they sell this stuff for pet food and there is no justification for outlawing boots made with kangaroo leather. Which, by the way, is said to be the lightest and strongest available?

I know many years ago, in HS when I ran track, the big deal, before nylon track spikes was kangaroo leather track shoes. I guess the edge was lighter shoes = run faster?

No, it was billed as a SAVE THE POOR KANGAROOS campaign. More Liberal lies.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

92soggy
Member # 4362

Icon 1 posted October 11, 2014 06:31 PM      Profile for 92soggy   Email 92soggy         Edit/Delete Post 
CrossJ, I don't have any 4198 but i would be willing to trade for any other powders I have. Here's a list that I have.

Win WST
Imr 3031
Benchmark
H 322
H 335
H 4895
8208 XBR
Ramshot TAC
RL-15
H 380
H 414
Norma MRP

I guess my next question is, can a guy just ship this stuff around legally? Anyone else want to trade for Big Game or N 550?

92soggy
Member # 4362

Icon 1 posted October 11, 2014 06:37 PM      Profile for 92soggy   Email 92soggy         Edit/Delete Post 
Good advice UTcaller, I went out and shot this group that measured .113 with RL-15 today.
Unfortunately, the chrono wasn't working, so didn't get a velocity on it.
 -

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 14 posted October 12, 2014 07:08 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, that's enough testing.

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

KaBloomR
Member # 4252

Icon 1 posted October 12, 2014 07:39 AM      Profile for KaBloomR           Edit/Delete Post 
Yep. I'd remove the Reloder 15 from my trading list. Nice shooting!

--------------------
"It always gets a helluva lot worse before it gets any better"

Posts: 302 | From: Utah | Registered: Nov 2012  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted October 12, 2014 07:46 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Damn............I couldn't shoot a group that good if I taped the target to the end of the barrel.

[Eek!]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7580 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
92soggy
Member # 4362

Icon 1 posted October 12, 2014 08:16 AM      Profile for 92soggy   Email 92soggy         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys! It's the best group I've ever shot for sure
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted October 12, 2014 09:33 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
92soggy,

That is a great group. Yeah that RL15 is great powder for sure.I started using it when Blaine Eddy recommended it to me a few years back when i first got my 17 Remington it worked great with the 25 grain Berger Match bullets. Then I built my 17 Tactical and it worked great with the 30 grain Kindlers too. So I gave it a shot with my New .22-250 Ackley Improved and low and behold it shoots great groups with both the 55 and 60 grain Berger bullets.So that has really simplified my powder usage. I have gotten very good velocities With it too.

Good Hunting Chad

Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Duckdog
Member # 3842

Icon 1 posted October 12, 2014 09:50 AM      Profile for Duckdog           Edit/Delete Post 
I've shot some incredible groups with R-15 out of my 22/250. Most definitely my "go to" powder in that chambering.

One of these days, (probably when I don't have any, or can't find any Big Game), I'm going to try it in my 17/204.

Posts: 205 | From: Ks | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
Aaron Rhoades
Member # 4234

Icon 1 posted October 18, 2014 09:19 PM      Profile for Aaron Rhoades           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, not sure what my next step is. Having some big problems with mine. Brief run down, very first shot out of the rifle produced a pierced primer with 25gr TAC. I then went to varget figuring that the TAC must have been too hot. I shot 8 rounds of varget and maxed out at 26gr with a velocity of roughly 4000. Wasn't fast as I wanted it to be so I headed home and dumped the rest I had loaded and started with some different powders. While I was doing that my brother says he ran the TAC on quickload and it came up with 49000 something, so it should have been fine. Next shooting session with all different powders produced some hot loads and some good to go loads but the hot loads would be in the same powder charge groups. As in, for example, 27.5gr 414 would shoot one hot and two with no signs or two hot and one with no pressure signs, all under max based on quickload. All along I was getting the feeling that something was weird. Now I started thinking maybe I'm not cleaning enough. So when I cleaned it this time I used a brush and scrubbed it good. 3rd session of shooting went just like it was supposed to go, started with my low loads and worked up till I saw pressure signs then stopped. So now I'm thinking I must have had some fouling in the barrel in the previous sessions or a piece of something in the barrel. This time I brought it home and gave it the wipeout treatment, once for an hour and the patch came out dirty so I hit it again and let it sit overnight. Patched it out and still dirty, hit it again for 2 hours and came out pretty clean. I'm thinking now I got it figured out, my next session will be good again. In the meantime, I got a new scope mount and put it on so before I went to testing loads I fired a few sighting in rounds, got it sighted close enough for testing and shot my first three. First one didn't hit the target and no one knew where it went. I figured I must not have been sighted in like I thought. Next one hit bullseye and third one didn't hit anything. A friend was watching and he says I think your bullets are disintegrating. I said seriously? He said I think so. Tried the next group and shot two, went from 3800 to 4100 with the same powder charge with none hitting the target. Went to a even lower load of varget and tried a couple more, one was nice, second one had to really work to get the bolt open and the primer was gone. I guess this didn't end up very brief and there is more detail than this but all along I felt that something didn't seem quite right. I never broke 4000 except on the renegade loads which would go from safe to way over pressure from one shot to the next. Just real erratic. All my loads were well under quickload max (which I realize is a guideline). So now instead of keep on trying, it finely got bad enough that I'm quitting until I find out whats going on.
Posts: 155 | From: Washington | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted October 19, 2014 05:32 AM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
Your bolt might need to be bushed, (GreTan) a common problem with 223 sized cases it seems. TAC is a good powder in 223 and 204, should work in 17's too.

RL15 is a great powder, I use it in 7-08, 243ai, 308, 22-250 AI and a few more calibers. It always gives great velocity and accuracy.

Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
DanS
Scorched Earth (AZ Sector)
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted October 19, 2014 06:34 AM      Profile for DanS           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
RL15 is a great powder, I use it in 7-08, 243ai, 308, 22-250 AI and a few more calibers. It always gives great velocity and accuracy.
I use it in the 22-250AI, 7-08, and my 223's with the heavy bullets, plus some others too.

--------------------
futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis

Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni:
Often Tested, Always Faithful. Brothers Forever!

Posts: 1465 | From: flyover country | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted October 19, 2014 01:05 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Something is rotten in there, for sure.

Pierced/cratered primers are one thing. But poofs out of a new barrel with fairly pedestrian velocities are something else altogether.

They could well be related - pressure is velocity and velocity is pressure. But... Something is causing those bullets to come apart and that is where I'd concentrate effort.

Remind me again, .17-204. It's a 9 twist? Barrel maker? Bullets you are using?

How does a tight dry patch in a dry clean barrel feel? Especially in the throat?

Nasty chambering burr would be a long shot at this point, with some rounds and vigorous cleaning already having happened. But if there is still one there, you'll feel it with the tight patch.

I'd spend some time with those tight patches, get a real good feel for the entire length of the bore. Note any tight spots and especially anything that feels grabby or like it's catching.

My money would be on a bore condition of some sort, to include just a bad bore or a big screw up of some sort in the chambering job. Something upsetting the integrity of those jackets enough to cause poofs out of a new barrel at reasonable velocities for the chambering.

Impossible to say from here though. That's just what I think I'd start with, given the symptoms as I think I understand them.

- DAA

--------------------

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters