The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Calls and Gear forum   » Racoons

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Racoons
NVWalt
Does not claim to be overly bright!
Member # 375

Icon 1 posted January 27, 2024 05:12 AM      Profile for NVWalt           Edit/Delete Post 
I've been getting the urge to do some coon calling.
So what I need is if any of you have an old e-caller that has a coon fight on it that you really don't use anymore for cheap, would you be willing to help a bro out.
I've used a BurB coon squaller years ago and it did work but then I had a johnny Stewart tape call and the coon tape worked better than my chattering on the squaller.
I have a lot of coons here where I live and wanted to give it another go just to get my old self maybe excited again.

--------------------
Support Communism and help destroy the United States of America ! VOTE DEMOCRAT. "In the end, they aren't coming after me. They are coming after you!" D.Trump

Posts: 636 | From: Tellico Plains, TN | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted January 27, 2024 04:56 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
If you still have that tape, or can score one on eBay, pick up one of those Radio Shack tape decks with the buttons on the end and the tape in the middle.

It may not be 'studio grade' but it's not to be underestimated. Set the volume at about 3/4 or just before the sound 'breaks'. A piece of tape on the volume knob is a good idea, too.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted January 27, 2024 05:39 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
What do you do with coon?

I've called a few and probably twice he acted just enough like coyote that he took a bullet, an admitted mistake. But without exception, I normally wouldn't waste a bullet on a coon. I don't normally shoot kitfox either. What is the purpose? Hides? Nobody eats them, do they?

I can understand if it's just pure sport. But, you don't need my blessings. Have a good time!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31448 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted January 28, 2024 04:27 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yeah, .......... 'coon can be pretty tasty.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted January 28, 2024 09:00 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorta like Possum pie? Or, fried backstrap?

I've had rattlesnake and bobcat. Nothing to write home about?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted January 28, 2024 10:27 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
It's like anything else .......... What does beef taste like ??? Answer; Depends on how ya fix it.
A lot of critters can be really good or really bad depending on care in the field and skill in the kitchen. Javelina come to mind.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 28, 2024 11:13 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Kinda lost me on javelina. Isn't there some must sack that must be excised, similar to leg glands on mule deer?

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted January 28, 2024 11:54 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, there's a scent gland on the back, above the hips that needs to be dealt with. It will come off with the skin. The trick is once the critter is skinned, to wash it down and switch to a clean knife before cutting meat. Ageing for a few days never hurts and the slow-cooker is your friend.
Some critters like jackrabbit benefit from an overnight soak in saltwater with a bit of baking soda.
Different tricks for different critters. [Cool]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 28, 2024 08:21 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
My parents used to soak Northerns in salt water. But of course, the Walleye is king, so they tell me? Personally, I used to eat the hell out of sunfish. Those are Bluegill to everybody except in Minnesota. Okay they got some Pumpkinseed too.

Out here we have a red eared sunfish that can go 2 pounds. Minneesota ain't got big panfish, even the perch are small, but the few bigger ones are worth eating. I remember a few perch while trolling that were like a 10-12 inch rainbow. Really few.

Anyway
Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted January 29, 2024 10:29 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard we have like 3-4 different sunfish here, bluegill, pumpkin seed, sunfish. some lakes just have one of them and some have 2 or 3 of the subspecies. Thus the different names you might get.
You want big sunnies then you go to a lake that produces big sunnies, same for big walleyes you go to a lake that is known for them. All lakes not equal when comes to fish size.

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5061 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters