The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Calls and Gear forum   » Perceptions (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Perceptions
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted December 12, 2023 09:50 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
You are the best, ko ko!

I was not poking at you!

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted December 12, 2023 09:50 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
You are the best, ko ko!

I was not poking at you!

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted December 12, 2023 09:52 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Ditto!

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted December 13, 2023 07:08 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't think that you were. I just get carried away with my archery.

Tim; My favorite bowfishing bow was the Morret Dyna bow for wading the shallows. That super short lower limb & you could go waist deep and still shoot. Sadly, it underwent explosive disassembly some time ago. Carp'n with a Bear 48 Magnum now.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 13, 2023 11:31 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
?? Exactly how maybe of these rigs do you have, inventoried and warehoused in the bow tackle shed? Rows and Isles, on all the walls, plus hanging from the ceiling?

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted December 13, 2023 12:12 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I'll have to get back with you on that one.

This could get interesting ......... or embarrassing.

Edit 4 speling

[ December 13, 2023, 12:13 PM: Message edited by: Kokopelli ]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted December 13, 2023 03:58 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
sounds like someone hoarding bows.

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5061 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted December 14, 2023 12:48 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Well ........... Not tooooo bad. [Roll Eyes]

(4) Damon Howatt Super Diablos #60 each.
(2) Damon Howatt Hunters #65 & #70.
(2) Ben Pearson Mercury Hunters #55 & #60.
Ben Pearson Signature T/D #55 {My 1st real bow}
Shakespeare Wonderbow / Kaibab #60
Sabo Hunter #60
Bear 48 Mag #60
Bear Super Kodiak #60
Pro Line Golden Eagle #32 target bow.
Damon Howatt El Dorado #34 target bow.

I try to keep my bows at #60 to use the same arrows in all of them. Why I have the two target bows, I'm not really sure but they're really cool.
Reason 'nuff.
[Cool]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 14, 2023 09:16 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
This question will demonstrate my ignorance:

Are any of those listed, the type with wheels or cams? Are they called compound, maybe?

Now, for your next assignment. Do your list over,

WITH A DESCRIPTION; like "Long Bow" or "recurve" etc.

Thank you!

edit: Okay, I read the part about trying to keep things the same 55# 60# etc.

Question: is that set in stone? No way to change the pull weight? You say you "keep them at 60" How?

[ December 14, 2023, 09:21 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted December 15, 2023 03:50 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
They are all recurves. Most are 60" in length. Makes it easier to build the strings when I don't need to readjust the string jig. They are not adjustable in weight. The #60 is the draw weight at 28", the 'normal' draw length for most people. The keeping them at #60 refers to buying bows at #60 to better be able to compare performance, one to another. It also saves some coin, as in "It's a nice bow but it's #56 and I like to keep them at #60.

>>>>>----------> I do NOT recommend that anyone shoot a #60 bow (recurve or longbow) unless you start out at about #40 and work your way up in weight about #5 at a time. That could get a bit spendy buying bows.
AND
You shoot a lot to keep in shape to draw the thing.
AND
You get some basic instruction on proper form from a good coach.

--------------------

TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted December 15, 2023 01:08 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Koko you hunt elephants with your bows?
Minn. requires 45 foot pounds of pull for deer so I set mine at 50-55.

--------------------

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted December 15, 2023 01:35 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
No elephants but I do call in a bear now & then.
I shoot a fairly stiff, light arrow. 2213s with a total weight of 500 grains. Pretty flat shooting. 45 yard point on with a high split finger anchor.

Out today, opening day of Archery Deer Season and our Game & Fish is also running a rifle deer hunt same time same zone.
Called in some does but no trailing bucks. Still a bit early for the rut. Called three coyotes but no shots.

All in all a pretty good day. [Smile]

--------------------

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted December 15, 2023 05:08 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Deer is finally over here thanking God. So now it's time to get the hounds from hell out. LOL Right now its Dec. about 10 days before Christmas and it's raining here. Global warming sucks. so now I either run dogs in mud or just stick to calling till snow hits.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 15, 2023 09:18 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Did he say he changes the pull weight?

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted December 16, 2023 03:51 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, compound bows (wheels & pulleys) are generally adjustable in draw weight in aprox. a #15 range. 45 to 60 pounds is common.
Couple of advantages to that;
(1) You can tune the bow / arrow combination better.
and
(2) If you're of a mind to shoot heavy poundage you can increase the weight gradually and build up to it.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted December 16, 2023 10:05 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm gittin' all learned up1

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted December 16, 2023 11:07 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
I use the 2117's with broadhead of 125 to 150, depends a lot on how far I want to shoot and size of the critter. I like the Rocky Mountain broadheads, as the blade runs length of the arrowhead and get or try to get through and through penetration.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 16, 2023 11:23 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but those plane after 20 yards!

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted December 16, 2023 12:17 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
[Confused] Broadheads actually don't plane. When the arrow DOES plane it's a symptom that something is set up wrong or shooter form needs work.
The 'Hat Trick' is to be able to group field tips, broadheads and blunts all together out around 40 or 50 yards.

2117s ...... What an arrow !!! I shot them for years before I got on a heavy bow kick and started increasing bow weight. Went to 2219s and then ended up shooting 2419s out of a #92 Quadraflex.

Leonard; There should be an archery club near you that you could find on Google. Drop in and say 'Hi' sometime. Good people to hang out with and just as crazy as any group of bench rest shooters or people who hunt those skeets.

--------------------

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted December 16, 2023 12:21 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Oranco Bowmen is close to you. I know people in that club. Good folks !!!!

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted December 16, 2023 08:20 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
But I'm a plunger... then what?

edit: do you think I might get a discount on gear if I dropped your name? It works when I tell people I know Vic!

PS I don't know anything about arrows planing but I read a comment about it once, long time ago and thought it might sound muy inteligente.

So, figured, what the hell, give it a try. Might fake out somebody?

As usual,
Good hunting. El Bee

[ December 16, 2023, 08:22 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted December 17, 2023 01:25 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
"But I'm a plunger ..... Then what ?"

Well ....... You'd get some fresh air & exercise. Learn something new to keep the mind sharp. Enjoy the company of good people. Share the BS that any group of hunters talk about. Hear new excuses for missing from both hunters and target shooters. See an amazing variety in styles and equipment...... and skill levels.
And last but not least ........ Have fun !!! (Am I missing anything, Tim ??)

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 17, 2023 08:38 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
You make a mighty strong argument, Amigo. I also read somewhere, that archery has about a 5 year cycle. Feverish in the beginning and the enthusiasm tapers off. In 5 years, that latest & highest dollar bow is stacked in the back of the closet. In 10 years, the Nimrod has a yard sale and that's where ko ko finds all his treasures.

Right now, I have this nagging urge to finish that set of brass and aluminum chessmen in my closet.

I'll have to think about it but thanks for the tip. I once bent a 100 pound bow that Higgins had stacked in the garage. Not very beautiful, as I recall?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters