The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Calls and Gear forum   » Made a big jump today (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Made a big jump today
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted January 24, 2023 11:18 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to report this conditioned coyote is now dead.
I got a break in the weather and found a track crossing the road coming from the section I last seen this coyote in. I had my top dogs along this hunt and took them to west side of a section that is 2 miles long and 2 miles wide, kind of l-shaped. casted the dogs in they cut through some CRP and checked it out for coyotes then took a drainage ditch east where the ditch converts back into a creek. More crp and willows in this area and could tell dogs was getting real birdie when they hit this spot. Then all of a sudden, the dogs start to light up one after another and I keep my eye on the drive-track screen. Now pay attention here the coyote or I should say coyotes is going to give out a secrete. Uno has jumped a coyote and taking it north and east, Tina, Max, and thor jump another coyote very close by and head southeast with it and then Marly she picks up her own coyote and goes South by south-west. Marly was moving pretty quick with her coyote so I stayed with her and went to south road and spotted her coming over a fence with her coyote heading for a active farm site.
I waited when she hit the grove, and nothing came out other side so figured the coyote holed up in there in a junk pile or something, so I called to her to come and loaded her up shortly. Mean time Uno has his coyote bayed up along the creek by himself.
Tina and her posse was headed for another active farm grove and this one I have to keep the dogs out of or they call the warden. Tina and her son thor were up front and got the coyote turned just as they got close to the grove and the coyote was now heading straight north for Uno location.
It turns out Uno has his coyote bayed up inside a nature made cavern or tunnel in the snow. What it was is a old grain elevator someone used to make a bridge out of to get across the creek for bird hunting. The thing is the creek drifted full of snow and peaked up on both sides of man-made bridge leaving a tunnel if you will under the bride. The tunnel had a entrances at each end, with one being big enough for me to get in close but not all the way. Back to Tina and her crew they still pushing the coyote north right into Uno's location and then the coyote and dogs disappeared in the creek channel. Soon a coyote comes out but runs back west and Tina and her crew stayed to help Uno with his coyote.
Houstin, we have a problem. The dogs have coyote bayed up over half mile away and the morning snowplow closed up the end of field driveway with more snow so I could get to them with the truck.
I had snowshoes along but know when the dogs have a coyote bayed up and it's still kicking after 1/2 hour there is a reason for it, and it usually requires tools to get them out or the coyote which is too much to pack in at my age. My trailer for my tracked side by side is snowed in, been that way all winter so I made a call to my son he was just getting off work and asked him to run home and get my snowmachine and bring it out.
I sat there and waited good hour and a half if not more, the dogs stayed on the coyote the whole time and held it there. Son finally arrives with snowmachine, so I load up a shovel, flashlights, my pistol, lariat and my hook. I got out to the dogs and found them with use of the tracker as I could only get so close to creek then had to walk in and then the dogs started to pop out of one of the entrances to say hello dad we got em. LOL
I sized up the situation and knew what I had to do, first I needed to get all the dogs out of the tunnel which won't be easy cause they been in it for too long as they developed more hate for the coyote and just won't leave it. I got two dogs caught up and hauled them back to truck and went back in again. Uno and Max were trying and really giving the coyote hell at times then the coyote would reverse the role and give each of them hell.
I got down inside the tunnel and saw what was going on, it wasn't a pretty site, and some would of blown their lunch when they would have looked in there. I got Uno and max calmed down enough so they would come out and then I would lay down and roll in front of them blocking the entrance to the tunnel so I was between them and the coyote. It was dark in there, so I got my light out of my coat pocket and pulled my revolver and started to make my way in crawling on my belly. I got a good look of the coyote up close and personal, and the coyote said hello when the light hit its face, or thought that's what it was saying. LOL (human logic) LOL
I said hello back and then crawled back out and let the dogs back in and walked over to my snowmachine and got Doctor hook. I had to use two extensions and got it done. Both dogs tore up a little bit so I doctored them best I could right there then load them and the coyote up and headed back to the truck. I had to struggle to get both inside the cab on the ATV but when I got to the truck, they liked it so much they wouldn't get out. LOL Tired, sore and happy dogs, it doesn't get any better than that. I had my son take atv up to a friends farm close by as I plan to be back after a few days or rest, got two more coyotes I need to talk to. [Big Grin]

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5064 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters