The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Calls and Gear forum   » A little open reed (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: A little open reed
Yotehntr
Knows what it's all about
Member # 3684

Icon 1 posted July 01, 2021 06:57 PM      Profile for Yotehntr   Author's Homepage   Email Yotehntr         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't posted a call here in a while... actually haven't been making many until my recent retirement. I finished this one up this morning. It has a Redwood Lace burl barrel and the toneboard is Hippo tooth Ivory. It's sold just thought it was extra nice and wanted to show it off.

-
 -
 -

--------------------
Yotehntr Calls Put something pretty on your lips! ;)

Posts: 53 | From: Murfreesboro, TN | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted July 02, 2021 03:41 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Nice ........... Really nice !!

What did it sell for, if you don't mind my asking ????

Edit 4 spel.

[ July 02, 2021, 03:42 AM: Message edited by: Kokopelli ]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7583 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
ATexan
Member # 6799

Icon 1 posted July 03, 2021 04:44 AM      Profile for ATexan   Email ATexan         Edit/Delete Post 
Damn nice looking unit-Tex
Posts: 112 | From: Texas | Registered: Mar 2018  |  IP: Logged
Yotehntr
Member # 3684

Icon 1 posted July 03, 2021 06:37 AM      Profile for Yotehntr   Author's Homepage   Email Yotehntr         Edit/Delete Post 
Koko that sold for $100. Had a fella see it on facebook and asked if I'd make him a call. I don't usually make calls that often but I guess I was in the right mood. LOL Here's another from yesterday.

-

-

-

--------------------

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted July 03, 2021 10:47 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Sweet;
If I ever win the Lotto I'm going to have matching knife handles, pistol grips and open reed calls all made with ebony, silver & turquoise.
Probably won't happen though; gambling violates one of my few religious beliefs.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7583 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 03, 2021 04:16 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yotehunter, you do impressive work with some very exotic material. Just offhand, I'd guess a hundred bucks is a bargain for either of those calls. Far too nice to mess up in the woods, seems to me?

What type of varnish or urethane, or whatever? is on the wood?

Thanks for sharing!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31465 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Yotehntr
Member # 3684

Icon 1 posted July 03, 2021 05:09 PM      Profile for Yotehntr   Author's Homepage   Email Yotehntr         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pulling for you Koko! lol

Thank you Leonard! I do what is reffered to as a CA finish. It is superglue, basically a hard plastic shell. Tough as can be, I have calls I made myself 10+ years ago that still look pretty much the same. I admit I cheated about a year ago and hit 'em on the buffing wheel.

--------------------

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted July 04, 2021 11:12 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Is CA finish a brand name ???
Where do you get the stuff ??
I'm refinishing a bow riser that will likely never be used for hunting and that higher than high gloss look would reek of cool.

--------------------

Yotehntr
Member # 3684

Icon 1 posted July 04, 2021 03:21 PM      Profile for Yotehntr   Author's Homepage   Email Yotehntr         Edit/Delete Post 
CA is superglue, I use Starbond, it dries very fast and you can buy their accelerator. I use both and build the finish pretty thick. I use paper towels cut into 1" wide x 3" put 5 or 6 drops on and go across the call with it spinning. I use Q-tips to do the inside. After it builds up I sand it flat with 600 grit then 2000 grit then buff. Same on the inside but I use a polish for the inside. I actually do the inside because it helps the sound... may sound silly but you can tell a difference between a call made with harder wood or soft wood... when I do the finish like this there's no difference in sound with different wood. It would be a job to say the least to try and apply it to a bow. I does make a very hard finish though. A pool cue maker, buddy of mine uses it on his cues FWIW "Sugar Tree Cues" (high end cues) if you're a pool player give one a try!

--------------------

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted July 04, 2021 06:02 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanx !!!
I may give the riser a try with it. Anything worth doing is worth over doing !!!

I'm also thinking that it might make a good finish seal on wood arrows. The problem that I've run into with lacquer is when the arrow goes into the bale friction heats up the finish and small bits of bale material will melt into the finish.

--------------------

Yotehntr
Member # 3684

Icon 1 posted July 06, 2021 08:46 PM      Profile for Yotehntr   Author's Homepage   Email Yotehntr         Edit/Delete Post 
If I were to attempt that I would use q-tips put about 6 or 7 drops on smear on what you can (it won't go on smooth) after building a decent film sand it flat with 600 grit sand paper. I learned alot about a nice finish doing this. build a good foundation then sand flat and if you can buff it out you'll not be disappointe. I have used MAAS polish it works very well if you don't have jewerls rouge. The superglue is very tough (FWIW I use "Starbond") best I've found and I've used several brands. For some reason fresh is best it degrades with age.

--------------------

Yotehntr
Member # 3684

Icon 1 posted July 06, 2021 08:49 PM      Profile for Yotehntr   Author's Homepage   Email Yotehntr         Edit/Delete Post 
Dang, my computer is old and I usually get to edit and fix spelling issues.... I'm not as dumb as the spelling above says I am... (that's my story and I'm sticking to it!)

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 08, 2021 06:19 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, the first one is Redwood Lace Burl. What's the second? Where do you get the Hippo ivory? Warthog ivory is available and I think it's fairly reasonable. I have a knife with warthog ivory scales. My warthog, actually. I got two of them and depending on the animal, there's quite a bit of ivory. Just like every damned animal in Africa, they are hard to kill. Never saw a bang flop, they all run off like they weren't even hit! I don't know what it is, but in comparison, American game dies very quickly; just my impression based on a 13 day safari and it's possible somebody else has an entirely opposite opinion.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Yotehntr
Member # 3684

Icon 1 posted July 09, 2021 05:17 PM      Profile for Yotehntr   Author's Homepage   Email Yotehntr         Edit/Delete Post 
The 2nd is some Redwood burl I got from a fire jumper out of CA. Actually he said his dad was also a fire jumper and had cut it. It’s one of my favorites but difficult to finish it has checks, cracks and voids that I have to fill. Hippo Ivory is still available most of the same folks that have the warthog tusks… I’ve done a few tone boards from warthog but they’re a major pain with the curve. The furthest I’ve been hunting is Colorado calling coyotes… (I’m from Tennessee)

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 10, 2021 08:27 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Regardless of the age of your computer, (mine is a 2010 MacBookPro and I've never had a serious problem, but some folks continue to dick around with PC's. Go Figure?

Anyway, if you want to edit a post, just click on that last ikon depicting a sheet of paper and a yellow pencil. It's very easy, and you can edit to your heart's delight!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 10, 2021 08:32 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
One last craftsman question: when you talk about sanding smooth, I assume you aren't holding it in your hand? You use the lathe, right? And, the superglue doesn't load up on the sandpaper? Whatever it is, it sure turns out fabulous!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Yotehntr
Member # 3684

Icon 1 posted July 11, 2021 04:54 AM      Profile for Yotehntr   Author's Homepage   Email Yotehntr         Edit/Delete Post 
Well I never noticed that edit icon. (duh) Thanks Leonard!

After I build the CA up (it always has ridges) I have a tray I put 600 grit sand paper I've cut to 1" x 3" pieces. With the lathe spinning I just put my finger under and lightly go over it. That usually highlights the low spots. With it still in the lathe but not spinning I sand across the ridges until they disappear. Then I go over it with 0000 steel wool to get inside the grooves. Then with it spinning again I use 2000 grit paper to get rid of the 600 grit marks then buff with I believe it is jewlers rouge. If I skip the 2000 grit it is still nice but it doesn't "pop" the same.

--------------------

Yotehntr
Member # 3684

Icon 1 posted July 11, 2021 05:07 AM      Profile for Yotehntr   Author's Homepage   Email Yotehntr         Edit/Delete Post 
As far as holding it I use the lathe chucked onto a "pin mandrel" I took a piece of drill rod, measured the thickness of a cloth's hanger and using a mill cut a flat the thickness of the hanger into the end. I drop a piece of a hanger in (makes it easy to replace BTW) slide the call on and twist. The hanger rolls and locks the call into place. The problem is if your cutting tool catch's the call and holds it still the call cracks. You just have to make light cuts.

-
 -

[ July 11, 2021, 05:07 AM: Message edited by: Yotehntr ]

--------------------

Semp
GOLD STAR MEMBER
Member # 3074

Icon 1 posted July 16, 2021 09:55 AM      Profile for Semp           Edit/Delete Post 
Aside from how pretty Brad's calls are, they also call coyotes great. Some friends and I have used Brad's calls for years. I don't believe you'll find a better hand made call.

--------------------
Always remember: That court appointed psychiatrist is not your friend.

Posts: 406 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted August 12, 2021 10:09 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Memo to the Peanut Gallery;
If you use Super Glue to finish, say, a reworked grip on a bow riser, take heed of the 'well ventilated' part of common sense.
The fumes are a special kind of evil.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 12, 2021 04:17 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Even better, avoid rubbing your eye with ANY of that shit on your fingers!

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Grizz
Member # 4626

Icon 1 posted July 13, 2022 07:44 PM      Profile for Grizz           Edit/Delete Post 
I own a couple of Yote's calls been so long I cant remember what type of wood these are. I believe the toneboard and bottom piece are polished Buff horn.
Aint never kilt anything with theme but they sure are purdy...
 -

--------------------
I don't hunt with the pack.

Posts: 95 | From: So Cal | Registered: May 2015  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 14, 2022 09:21 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Ya, I own some calls that i am very reluctant to actually take to the field and risk messing them up, kind of a work of art thing rather than a "tool".

Grizz? Do I know you? Should I know you? I recall a couple guys that called themselves Grizz but not from So Cal? Are you a club member, or were, at one time?

Good Hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted July 14, 2022 11:20 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
............ and more importantly, have you ever shot the Conejo Valley Archers Traditional Challenge shoot ????? It's usually held every May in Simi Valley.

--------------------

Grizz
Member # 4626

Icon 1 posted July 14, 2022 12:29 PM      Profile for Grizz           Edit/Delete Post 
Jesus Leonard it's Rick J

--------------------
I don't hunt with the pack.

Posts: 95 | From: So Cal | Registered: May 2015  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters