The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Calls and Gear forum   » FoxPro CS-24 Review for Tim (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 16 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  14  15  16 

Author Topic: FoxPro CS-24 Review for Tim
TundraWookie
Knows what it's all about
Member # 1044

Icon 1 posted January 26, 2012 07:09 AM      Profile for TundraWookie           Edit/Delete Post 
Tim,
Here's the review you wanted on the FoxPro CS-24, the best e-caller on the market in my opinion.

#1 E-caller
The best caller on the market in MY opinion is the FoxPro CS-24, customized to my specs. My specs simply include dual external power jacks. I had my caller made like this so I can run dual packs, and so I can quickly remove my battery and wires in the field. I use 14.8 Li-Ion battery packs with the CS-24. FoxPro made me some custom 90 degree fittings with heavy duty arctic wires so that they lay flatter to the TOA speaker cap. This caller is almost indestructible. I have some straps mounted around the caller for even quicker attachment to the cam lock buckles installed on my snowmachine.
 -
The caller has plenty of volume and has been 100% reliable for me. It’s light, tough, and just works outstanding. As is, my CS-24 weighs right at 2 pounds 11 oz. It’s programmable and I have ton of JS, WT, Minaska, FoxPro and everything else on it. I would never own a non-programmable caller in this day and age, plain and simple. At -40, I like to simply push a single button and let my 15 minute custom sound sequences do the work for me. The remote screen can be very sluggish in the cold with the LCD screen. The buttons all work fine, but the LCD screen will lag drastically. The easy fix is to just put a foot warmer pack onto the remote.
 -
These packs keep the screen going strong in the coldest weather and also keep my hands a bit warm too if I do decide to hold onto the thing. I also use a Boondocks Outdoors neoprene case for my TX500 remote, which keeps it quiet and insulated a bit. You need to be careful with the side buttons on the remote. It’s easy for me at times to accidentally smash a side button and have a sound start playing. The solution is to just make sure I’m not smashing the thing down on my jacket when I sit down. For night hunting, the remote is the absolute best. Nothing compares to it, or even close to it without modifications. I put small dots of JB Weld on my TX500 remote for easy finger location without having to look. I don’t do every button, but a pattern that allows me to feel things better.
 -
With this caller, I can also run another external speaker and control a decoy if I choose. I don’t utilize those features, but they’re on it if needed. I many times carry a little MOJO Critter that I’ll stick in the snow or wedge onto the CS-24 speaker/bracket. For sound programming, three screws must be removed from the TOA rear cap. Then, just plug in the USB cord and it will show up on your computer as a removable storage device. Use FoxPro’s programming utility, or manually number the sounds.
 -
 -
Note: Wrap your TOA speaker bracket with some camo tape or some other type of thermal break if you’re hunting in the cold. That metal bracket sucks the heat right out of the hands. Plus, it keeps the caller quiet if a branch smacks that bracket.

Posts: 857 | From: Alaska | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Aznative
FARTS ON CLUELESS LIBERALS
Member # 506

Icon 1 posted January 26, 2012 09:19 AM      Profile for Aznative           Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the best e-caller were the old WT callers that Bill Martz threatened over the updates you made to them. BTW: where is that groucy old fart?

Edited in: Those fights are what got me interested in the site in the first place.

[ January 26, 2012, 09:19 AM: Message edited by: Aznative ]

--------------------
Never thought the devil would need a teleprompter but I could be wrong.

United State of America: RIP
Born July 4th 1776 died November 6th 2012

Posts: 1924 | From: Phoenix Az | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 26, 2012 09:43 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, tundra.

I agree, very satisfactory unit. I have had the Krakatoa CS24 since last year, and I really like it. I'm ahead of the curve with dual ports and battery packs, in fact, I have three, ready to go, but without silicone wire or 90˚ jacks. I run two sets of batteries at the same time. My machine has four screws holding the back on, for getting at the programing port.

Good hunting. LB

edit: Bill Martz still has an account on Huntmasters. He parachutes in every once in a while.

[ January 26, 2012, 09:46 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31450 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TundraWookie
Member # 1044

Icon 1 posted January 26, 2012 10:02 AM      Profile for TundraWookie           Edit/Delete Post 
That sounds like a great setup Leonard. Are you saying you have 3 power jacks on your Krakatoa? I usually run just one of the 14.8 volt Li-Ion battery packs and it runs almost all day(around 15-20 stands), 15 minute stands in temperatures averaging -20ºF at volume level 32. Have you ever drained down your batteries in a day? If so, how many packs was that?

[ January 26, 2012, 10:03 AM: Message edited by: TundraWookie ]

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 26, 2012 10:21 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Mine are mounted like saddlebags and I run both at the same time. I always have my Fluke with me, and if I detect a problem, I have the spare, ready to go. Recently, I had a single NiCad fail, affecting the whole pack....stuff like that.

I found a bag that seems perfect for the Krakatoa. It has four outside compartments, I have room for the smart charger and the volt meter and alkaline batteries for the remote, and the remote, etc, etc. It's black, but I can live without a camo bag, one of those things I fail to see the point in camouflage. Like, if I drop my $100 flashlight, I prefer that it not be so hard to find, but that's just me.

Good hunting. LB

edit: tundra, your extra speaker. Is it wireless?

[ January 26, 2012, 10:26 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TundraWookie
Member # 1044

Icon 1 posted January 26, 2012 10:29 AM      Profile for TundraWookie           Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard,
Are you asking about the extra TOA or SP55 I run? On both of those I have a female audio jack. I just keep the cord in my pocket and plug into the CS-24 and the extra speaker if needed. I can't keep a wire attached to the speaker itself, it will typically snap in the cold or get ripped off racing through the willows.

ursus21
2nd place, John Denver lookalike Contest
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted January 26, 2012 10:59 AM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
Before Tim shows up and dumbs everything down. Do either of you guys have some good close up photos of how you have those batteries attached/set up? I mean without all the camo wrap.

[ January 26, 2012, 10:59 AM: Message edited by: ursus21 ]

Posts: 780 | From: Montana | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 26, 2012 11:40 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
 -

You can see the pouches mounted to the bracket with tie raps and can hopefully make out the ports on both sides where the jacks plug in?

By the way, that is outdoor carpet scraps glued to the speaker with contact cement. This solves the tinny sound and makes it a little quieter, should I bump it against my stool or a rifle butt.

Good hunting. LB

[ January 26, 2012, 11:44 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

ursus21
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted January 26, 2012 12:02 PM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Leonard. That is interesting. Like the outdoor carpet idea as well. So is that your expensive flashlight laying there as well? I discovered while hunting bears in Canada that I don't like black colored flashlights. I dropped mine while getting out of the stand. Wouldn't have been a problem except there were several bears around the stand and when flashlight landed it went out. I ended up sprinting about a half mile back to the 4 wheeler in the pitch dark. Didn't find the flashlight until the next day, in the daylight. Friggen flashlights should have glow in the dark paint on them!
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 26, 2012 12:44 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
 -

This is what it looks like, in action. What looks like a sloppy glue job was added later, it's silicone smeared on with a finger to keep the strips of carpet from unraveling, and then lots of road dust that sticks to it, but in the field, it is functional. I'm happy with it.

Good hunting. LB

[ January 26, 2012, 12:50 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Possumal
HONORARY CALLS FORUM MODERATOR edit: AND TOKEN LIBERAL
Member # 823

Icon 1 posted January 26, 2012 01:47 PM      Profile for Possumal   Author's Homepage   Email Possumal         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard's plug ins are identical to the way my CS-24 is set up. I have ordered in 4 or 5 setups like that for guys. The CS-24B with the upgraded TX500 includes Foxbang, and several guys have wanted it in the 15W TOA which improves the sound considerably. Several fellows have reported using the spray on bedliner material to both protect the TOA and make it quieter while improving sound quality.

The plug in make it simple to unplug from the CS-24 and plug into the smart charger.

P.S. Leonard must be bursting those coyote's ear drums with the Krakatoa. I listened to one of those when I visited Foxpro last year, and it was seriously loud, with no distortion at all.

--------------------
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

Posts: 781 | From: Nicholasville, Ky. | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
4949shooter
SECOND PLACE HIGGINS (MAGNUM P.I.) LOOK A LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted January 26, 2012 01:57 PM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
Good review Tundra.

I recently had the issue with the sluggish remote screen as well, except it was 0 and not -40. Ouch.

Posts: 2274 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
TundraWookie
Member # 1044

Icon 1 posted January 26, 2012 02:14 PM      Profile for TundraWookie           Edit/Delete Post 
Nice work with the carpet strips Leonard, I haven't seen that one before.

I'll get you some close up pictures of my batteries and plugs when I get back to the shop.

Leonard: What is that small strip attached to the handle bracket? Looks like a small piece of UHMW or something similar as a tilt up leg.

[ January 26, 2012, 02:22 PM: Message edited by: TundraWookie ]

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 26, 2012 03:46 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, that's what it's for. It's ¼X1" PVC pop riveted to the side of the metal handle, keeps the angle where I want it, if I put it on the ground. I also have that same ribbon you use, pull tape, or whatever you call it?

It's a damned good rig, I like it. My only bitch is with the TX500 remote, for reasons already mentioned. And, the foxbang works at least 50% of the time, but for $85 bucks, I don't want to sound picky. [Wink]

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

R.Shaw
Peanut Butter Man, da da da da DAH!
Member # 73

Icon 1 posted January 26, 2012 04:20 PM      Profile for R.Shaw           Edit/Delete Post 
Tundra...I have the same remote, but it does not look like yours????? Same buttons...different positions.

Leonard..check your email.

[ January 26, 2012, 04:22 PM: Message edited by: R.Shaw ]

Posts: 545 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
JD
HONORARY OKIE .... and Tim's at fault!
Member # 768

Icon 1 posted January 26, 2012 05:16 PM      Profile for JD           Edit/Delete Post 
Geez LBeanhole, is that a Swarovski spotting scope? You must be rich and famous, at least richer and more famouser than me. Nice caller set up!

--------------------
Jason
--------------------------------------

What do Obama & TA17Rem have in common........both are clueless asshats!!!

Posts: 1456 | From: NE. | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
TundraWookie
Member # 1044

Icon 1 posted January 26, 2012 05:31 PM      Profile for TundraWookie           Edit/Delete Post 
R Shaw,
Did you get yours right when they came out? Mine had a different keypad originally, but sent me another one and I put it on. I really like this keypad configuration more than the older type.

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 26, 2012 05:40 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Mail checked, replied.

Yes, that's my spotting scope. I'm almost like AR Shaw now, he won't use anything but Swarovoski glass. Say, do you like my solution for a wider stance, like Senator Larry Craig? I slip on those PVC tubing legs and boy does that make a heavy scope like this one a lot more stable.

I believe Al was the one that told me that the issue, in cold was traced to the pot on top that has some sort of lubricant that doesn't work too well, in the cold. I should have sent mine back.

Good hunting.....LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Possumal
HONORARY CALLS FORUM MODERATOR edit: AND TOKEN LIBERAL
Member # 823

Icon 1 posted January 26, 2012 06:09 PM      Profile for Possumal   Author's Homepage   Email Possumal         Edit/Delete Post 
Mike Dillon just made a post on PM and the Foxpro Forum concerning the scrolling knob on the TX500. Anyone who has a remote with that problem can send in their remote and Foxpro will replace it with the new type, free of charge.

--------------------
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

Posts: 781 | From: Nicholasville, Ky. | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
TundraWookie
Member # 1044

Icon 1 posted January 26, 2012 06:27 PM      Profile for TundraWookie           Edit/Delete Post 
My Pot Top knob is devoid of grease and works at all temperatures I've used it in (90ºF to -45º).

Troy,
Here are some close ups of my battery setup.

-
 -
 -

I hope that helps. Easy to change out in the frigid cold and holds that pack on there, even taking a whipper at 45MPH down the trail. The speaker ended up hitting a flat rock and denting the thing. No other caller is going to take that kind of hit and keep going....except maybe Leonard's Krakatoa.

Note the deformation:
 -

ursus21
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted January 26, 2012 08:09 PM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
This has been a very cool and interesting thread so far. I just got my CS-24 back from Fox Pro today. I had it upgraded to a CS-24B. I can't wait to get out there and give it a whirl. Giving some serious thought to silencing the tin sound Leonard mentioned. That carpet idea of his is pretty good, as is the bed liner. I wonder if those stick on Simms Vibrations dampeners bowhunters use would do the trick?
jimanaz
2nd Place RICHARD FARNSWORTH LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3689

Icon 1 posted January 26, 2012 08:14 PM      Profile for jimanaz           Edit/Delete Post 
Troy, what is different about the "B" model other than Foxfade and Foxcast?
Posts: 940 | From: AZ | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged
TundraWookie
Member # 1044

Icon 1 posted January 26, 2012 08:15 PM      Profile for TundraWookie           Edit/Delete Post 
Troy,
Those Simms dampeners would probably work. A simple few wraps of camo-form tape do wonders too. I haven't heard that ringing sound from the smaller 10W TOA speaker or 15W, just the big 30W model. Is that the one you have, the big boy?

I must have answered Tim's questions, because he seems to be quiet on this "special" post I made for him.

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 26, 2012 08:34 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
No. I have been getting all knowed up via email. Why he has not jumped in on the Board, I don't know?

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: It's no wonder people think I baby him. I don't. I just don't think he does anything worthy of banishment. Believe me, it takes A LOT to get yourself axed around here. Ask NASA, he has a version that some people over on the "professional forum believed without question....but you won't hear the real reason from me because I believe it is a private matter. Same thing, the professor. He might think he knows, but I don't have to share the actual reason and I don't. It's a kind of ethical thing, as far as I'm concerned. Nobody's business.

[ January 26, 2012, 08:43 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TundraWookie
Member # 1044

Icon 1 posted January 26, 2012 08:37 PM      Profile for TundraWookie           Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard,
Who is getting you all learned up via email? Not by Tim I hope? Who is going to jump in on this? Hopefully whoever it is has better questions than Tim's weak cries for help.

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 16 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  14  15  16 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters