The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Closed, my ass... (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Closed, my ass...
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted November 12, 2023 01:08 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Ironic ........... I have an appointment with the foot Dr. tomorrow.

Cindy had her ankle fused earlier this year.
MAJOR DOWNTIME !!!! Absolutely NO weight on that foot for those four months. She got pretty handy with one of those knee scooters but going up & down steps was out of the question.

Cheap advise; Make sure & damn sure that the Dr. goes over ALL of the pros & cons INCLUDING RECOVERY before you consent to any non-reversible surgeries. Then make double damn sure.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7579 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 12, 2023 02:00 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the good advice, Amigo.
Believe me, I have been seriously pondering all aspects of the decision for more than a year now.

I can't say that I have decided but I'm leaning towards getting it over with because it is not better, it's slightly degenerated, the bones are shifting and there are some shoes I cannot wear; at least comfortably.

This doctor seems negative about surgery, last time I saw him about a month ago, after which I had a series of X-rays and my appointment is later this coming week. I'm not going to insist, I don't even know if it's possible to insist that I have the surgery, if he is not on board?

It's a serious item for me, and there are definite things I cannot do. And, he already said that he makes no predictions about the extent of improvement. I don't think there is except a very slight chance of a negative result, what we are talking about is the extent of improvement and whether a small improvement is worth the discomfort and healing and potential surgical scaring which I have been told can be significant with some patients. Generally, I am a pretty good healer.

Still, who knows? Could be all sorts of complications and I already have fallen arches my whole life and that won't change. There could be a slight improvement if the pressure is off certain bones if he fuses them advantageously. One can only hope, think positive!

This has occupied my thoughts for a long time!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31459 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 23, 2023 10:15 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
In case there is anybody interested. My doctor is not a fan of surgery on my foot, just when I had decided to get it done.

No, he thinks I will be better off with cortisone injections every 4 months and being fitted with an orthotic device that helps, but in what way, I do not know, as yet?

The clinic will call me for an appointment for fitting; hasn't happened yet, maybe due to the holiday? Until then, I have no idea what it will look like?

In the meantime, I have some additional pain medications on the way, called Mexi-something? I already take pain medication for my back, but we shall see?

In any event, my serious mountain climbing and venture hiking days are pretty much over. It's painful to walk, I mean it's not doubling over with excruciating pain, but I feel it in my foot, especially barefoot.

The no surgery solution seems to be a combination of two things; age and the discovered fact that my bones are brittle and I'm prescribed Iron and Calcium and a B vitamin? Guaranteed to have me fit as a fiddle.

Stay tuned,
& Good hunting. El Bee

[ November 23, 2023, 10:17 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31459 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters