The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Not only a coyote nose!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Not only a coyote nose!
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted January 06, 2022 04:54 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
The hearing of coyotes is probably better than most other wild animals.

Hunting at night, really cold in places like Northern Nevada, I could attract a coyote with just a scraping sound, or by kicking a little dirt with my boot. I really like vole sounds that are so high pitched that I can barely hear it and if I turn the sound all the way off, they can still hear it and if they were hung up before, turning the sound all the way off would get them moving in my direction.

I remember once when I was making a day stand in a dry wash that was actually wide open like a green belt, but there was a lot of trees and brush. Anyway, I'm making a stand and I heard a little pitter patter of coyote feet, behind me and about maybe 30-40 yards to my right. I had the safety on and wasn't very careful about snicking it off and the fucking coyote heard the click and with his next step, turned on a dime, didn't slow down, didn't hesitate, didn't look my way. He just made a right angle turn and headed straight away from me, sideways. No he didn't catch any wind, it was actually blowing at an angle to the left front. Nope, he heard that tiny little "click". Didn't light his tail on fire, but he didn't stop and ponder the situation. I'm sure he heard it because it was immediate, as soon as I moved the lever, he turned, like it was remote control.

Anyway, I was there and that's my evaluation. I was using my Model 600 Remington and the safety isn't very loud at all. I doubt a human could hear it from 10-15 feet away? This coyote was more than 40 yards away and it seems almost impossible. And this happened before I moved anything else. Nope, it was the safety he heard.

I got him though, it was a straight away shot, and luckily there wasn't any brush in the way. This was over towards ko ko's area, but south of I-10.

Anyway, I think a coyote's hearing is just as sharp as his nose. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Good hunting. El Bee

[ January 06, 2022, 05:01 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31459 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted January 07, 2022 04:05 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
No argument there. Comparing a coyote's hearing to a human's is like comparing music to Rap. Just not the same thing.
Call a coyote across a half mile meadow in wind blowing so hard that I couldn't hear the caller 40 yards from me. ?? Yup.
Call a coyote spotted at 200 yards with nothing but lip squeaks in for a bow shot. ?? Yup.
Call coyotes regularly with nothing more than a Radio Shack tape player. ?? Yup.
Coyotes will hang up for a variety of reasons but if it becomes a pattern, odds are simply Too Much Volume.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7579 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 07, 2022 09:36 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
And yet, back in the old days, we used to play 8 track tapes on a auto tape deck and those tapes were so scratchy, they wouldn't even fool me! And yet, I've called thousands of coyotes with such a primitive device.

For that matter, hand calls, open reed or closed. They certainly aren't a reasonable duplication of a rabbit's vocal cords, and yet, coyotes come running, eagerly. I personally think this concern about fidelity is vastly overrated. As has been said a number of times, you can call a coyote with a squeaky brake drum. Not only that, but no two jack rabbits sound the same, It's like birds can differentiate between tweets and recognize the sound of their mate's tweet. That's difficult to believe, but take a flock of Grackles that fly in tight formations of at least hundreds. They all look alike and yet they can easily find their mate. Some might be cuter than others but they can tell them apart and I've never seen a Grackle sniff another birds ass.

Anyway, I'm just thinking of the Wildlife technologies claim of the purity of their sound and I take that with a grain of salt. Right along with those complimentary sounds of an owl and other critters to make a symphony of sound, like in nature. I think that Bill lays it on a little thick.

When a coyote responds, he has a mental image of an animal in distress and isn't analyzing the authenticity of the distress cries. I've seen too many of them respond to really bad recordings.

But, maybe you think Eustress chirps are golden?

Good hunting. El Bee

[ January 07, 2022, 09:38 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted January 07, 2022 05:41 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Gotta wonder, though;
Back in the '60s or '70s you could bugle in elk with a slide whistle. Now, not so much. In many areas you blow any elk bugle and the bulls head for the dark timber in the bottom of a bottomless canyon. Cow / calk talk is the way to go.
The elk have learnt and adapted.
Now we have coyotes pressured year around by the skilled & unskilled. They've heard it all and passed what they've learned on to their offspring. Feel free to pile on but I don't believe that, in many areas, the coyotes of today are the same as the coyotes of the '60s & '70s.
Less hard chargers, more caution, more big circle to the downwind.
I'm not sure if studio quality sound is the answer but I suspect that it can't hurt.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7579 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 08, 2022 08:19 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
it can't hurt.
Well, there's a man that's not afraid to stick his neck out! [Roll Eyes]

I've been saying, for at least 20 years that Foxpro is what fucked up predator calling. The same stupid people that sit in the cab with the foxpro on the hood while smoking, drinking coffee and chit chatting with the other two guys in the front seat, they had, and continue to bear some responsibility for the education of today's coyote. And yeah, you could blame those same "hunters" for timid Wapiti.

So, we won't solve the non response of coyotes with studio quality sound....but, it can't hurt!

It's just disgusting in many places where a friggin' coyote will RUN away, looking for some elevation where he can satisfy his curiosity looking for the FOXPRO. That coyote had no intention of responding to a distress sound of any type, they are just inquisitive by nature....but never stupid!

Twenty years! Shit! For more like 40 years, deer hunters playing with electronic callers have completely fucked up predator hunting! And, the same bunch wonder why Huntmasters talks about politics ten times more than hunting. But, studio quality sound can't hurt!

At one time, I preferred making a stand with wide open shooting lanes. These days, it's better to fight your way into the worst tangles you can find with the best shotgun you can afford, loaded with #4 Buck. Make sure you got a good night's sleep because you better not be nodding off when that streaker does the flyby.

Here's another thing. Forget prime fur, get out as early as possible and kill a few pups. By October, it's all over. In fact, if all you want to do is scratch the itch, hunt after they pair up after the first of the year, where ever you are and change tactics. If you want fur, learn to trap 'cause it's 24/7 and you have dialed Foxpro out of the equation.

Good luck, whatever you do because you will need it!
El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 08, 2022 12:00 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Tim Anderson weighed in.

If you want to read the book, send self addressed stamped envelope!

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Semp
GOLD STAR MEMBER
Member # 3074

Icon 1 posted January 08, 2022 12:09 PM      Profile for Semp           Edit/Delete Post 
"These days, it's better to fight your way into the worst tangles you can find with the best shotgun you can afford, loaded with #4 Buck. Make sure you got a good night's sleep because you better not be nodding off when that streaker does the flyby."

That sounds familiar. At least that's the way it works where I hunt. Now if you've got access to locked gates, cow pastures, chicken farms, etc. you might be able to get a long shot across a field. But if you hunt federal or state public ground, the coyotes have heard Lightnin' Jack about a million times.

--------------------
Always remember: That court appointed psychiatrist is not your friend.

Posts: 406 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 08, 2022 12:48 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
One more detail I forgot to mention. If you get a dumb coyote in front of you, don't miss him! While some coyotes can be called again....oh never mind!

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 10, 2022 01:33 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I will share an opinion, I'm not a bad shot, on game, at all. I guess you could call BS but in fact, I kinda surprise myself, I make routine shots and a few circus shots along the way. But what I do not do; is miss, for no apparent reason. And, if you were around when it happened, you witnessed a rare event. (you know who you are) It was years ago but it still bothers me.

Anyway, missing a coyote is no different than missing an elk or a buck mule deer. I'm still waiting for a white tail, I've never seen one with a tag and a rifle in my hands.

But anyway, having a friggin' AR with 20 rounds doesn't make these amateurs miss, but it sure as hell doesn't help. You just do not get many second shots at a coyote, sometimes he's running straight away and sometimes he is angling on your weak side.

Just don't miss him is all I've got to say. And quit flinging lead at an animal you have no hope of hitting, baring a miracle. I'd rather save my valuable handloads than waste one on a marginal shot. In fact, I don't take many low percentage shots. Running shots is my Achilles heel and I try to restrain. I just don't consider a coyote as nothing and use a different yardstick than I might with big game.

Another one is the guy wanting to use some special gun. I know a guy that screwed up a few makable shots because he wanted to kill a coyote with a 50BMG. I have little patience with that shit. It's the same using an inadequate firearm, like maybe a 22Mag. I witnessed a guy that shot at a coyote from the drivers seat at a coyote running by the truck, with a 25Auto. Good luck with that. Maybe he hit him, I couldn't tell? But, I do not approve.

Good hunting. El Bee

[ January 10, 2022, 01:34 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted February 22, 2022 07:21 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll rise to the bait, but only because the subject has been part of very recent conversations.

But, maybe you think Eustress chirps are golden?

"Estrus chirps were first described by Ronnie Robison, who I met here, when he was obsessed with "Booger Red". At his request, and after he had wrung out the details of what they are and the potential they have to calling, he reached out to me to do a piece on them. Contrary to a few like Tim who continue to suggest that I would write bullshit fictitious articles with no basis just to score a paycheck. For the record, I enjoyed mixing things up from time to time by using contributors and introducing some of these people to the community, including Leonard (misting) and Q. Like to see Tim and some of the others tell Q he's a hypocritical, faking POS to his face. But, I digress.

A friend of mine decided that he wanted to pursue a dream of building the best e-caller on the market. Another frequent flyer here is good friends with him, too. In a meet-and-greet we had during the design phase, he asked me what I thought would make it best and I honestly told him real coyote vocals - not some bozo on a cow horn howler. I specifically mentioned estrus chirps and told him it would be something to look into. He now offers close to 20+ estrus sounds to his customers, all recorded at close range of coyotes he has access to whenever he wants. Can't really reveal much more than that, other that he's had access to a BUNCH of coyotes thanks to assistance we got from a lifelong friend of mine who is regarded as one of the top Wildlife Service guys in the country and has earned his stripes working in places like OR, ID, NE and the special trips those guys know about to the Aleutian Islands every year in AK.

Anyway, I told Rick , the call maker,just last week how redeeming it is now to see guys out there dropping late season doubles and triples, day and night, using estrus chirps in their sequences. Myself, I can recall at least three different stands that went from an estrus chirp to 4 shots in 5 seconds and 3 coyotes down. AR's do have a place in hunting. When used at the right time and in the right application, estrus chirps are absofucking lethal as shit and a really big part of why Rick can't keep callers in stock.

So, say what you want. Ronnie was right when he stumbled upon this sound. All the gubmint guys and wannabes that tried to rattle my cage when that article came out were wrong as hell. Ronnie's been gone for about 6 years now, so I'll advocate for him and telling the naysayers, "Kiss his ass. You don't know what you don't know." LOL

For a few weeks each year, estrus chirps are, in fact, da shit.

[ February 22, 2022, 07:22 PM: Message edited by: Cdog911 ]

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 23, 2022 08:37 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
First, I did not know that Ronnie had passed away? Although, with his condition we always knew it could happen. I also didn't know the origin of that estrus chirp theory and stayed out of it pretty much completely. And, I've never used it, or an AR on stand after that first time when each coyote required 3 shots to quit fussing. I stacked it in the back of the safe over 25 years ago and it has not seen the light of day since. <shrug>

You know, just about the only perk I get around here is that a few of the members send me little honorariums occasionally. Ronnie once sent me an alligator head which is in my trophy room, it's not quite man eater size.

That's about all I have to contribute re: estrus chirps and I freely admit; it ain't much.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters