The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Another stupid question (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Another stupid question
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted October 20, 2020 03:43 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
At my age I just need vision not night vision any vision will do !
!LOL

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted October 20, 2020 07:47 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it any wonder that I took away your Moderator duties?

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31258 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Chris S
"SPECIAL ACCOUNT" HM's Facebook page moderator & runs with scissors
Member # 3888

Icon 1 posted October 31, 2020 03:44 AM      Profile for Chris S           Edit/Delete Post 
I do have a handheld Leupold Tracker 2 thermal monocular that I use for deer hunting. It helps you see deer before they can pop out on you and catch you off guard. I wouldn't use it for coyotes. Coyotes are too fast paced to go from handheld thermal to gun w/out making so much movement that you're going to scare the shit out of em. Deer are slow and you can see them through the thick stuff better with the thermal.
Posts: 534 | From: Oakland County, MI USA Earth | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted November 06, 2020 02:30 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
I keep seeing these posts about guys who are apparently mortgaging their house to buy gear for hunting coyotes and as dedicated as I am to my hunting, I just don't see the sense of that. After all, I know this web site where all these grizzled old bastards hang out who have killed more dogs than parvo using flashlights and dykum, or whatever it's called.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 06, 2020 03:01 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, that's true. You have to have a little perspective. When you spend thousands of dollars on hi tech electronics and optics, you are probably a professional wolfer, and I think most of them use iron and Wildlife services doesn't pay exceptionally well, last I heard?

So, if it's supplemental income, maybe $50 for a pelt, let's see....120 pelts might be worth $6,000 and that will pay for a thermal scope. I know a guy that makes a fur check of more than $50,000 a year, but most of it is in cats. That's Mercer, some may know him, out in Barstow? And, he's not full time, I think he has a legit job?

For 99% of us, the hi tech stuff is impractical, so if you make a decent living anyway and can afford to indulge yourself, thermal and NV are very enticing toys to play with. As I have said, if you really got t have it, there is offshore gear that will definitely work and as entry level, it's no where near as expensive as American products. Mine is made in Belorussia, and it's not toys, but it's maybe Gen. II, or so? That country is well known for their scientific manufacturing, as far as the former Russian block goes. I already suggested a scope and goggles and infrared filters and that should get you operational. It's out there, whatever you want to pay and it's up to you, if it makes sense, or not?

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: forgot to mention, you misspelled Dykem

[ November 06, 2020, 03:02 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted November 08, 2020 07:11 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the correction. LOL

The biggest factor for me is how likely I'll be to get the use out of it, based on price. Hell yeah, I'd love thermal, but times are tight here with no chance of getting all that much better. Just the reality of things. I had the last three days off and, to be honest, I just stayed home. There was a time, like a year or two ago, that I'd have been gone before sunrise and the wife knew she wasn't gonna stop me from hunting. Just turned 56 - I know, just a pup to several of you - and my wonderful Cadillac cushy gubmint job has all but left me completely crippled. My knees and feet are so jacked up, the thought of the pain that goes along with spending a morning hunting just makes it really easy to say to hell with it. Used to be I could reduce the pain by walking when the muscles in my legs would life the bones apart in my knees and reduce the pressure of the thigh bone connecting to the leg bone. But recent Xrays clearly showed why that shit don't work no more - bone spurs where all the muscles above my knee connect to my tibia and fibular. What pain I reduce from alleviating bone on bone is more than made up for by stretching out those bone spurs. Y'all were right, getting old ain't for sissies, and I ain't really old yet. The future is bleak.

Now, I know what you're thinking. Just get them replaced, and maybe down the road I will. But there are two things holding me up. In the past two years, I've watched three different people I know fighting to keep a leg or their very lives because of failed knee replacements. One lady has spent mover two years struggling to save her entire leg and is still far from out of the woods. Another guy had one fixed. Went fine, Had the second one done and everything went to shit. Number three had his knee done 6 months ago and has now been told he will never walk again because of complications. Never walking again means dying early and after 7 scopes without issues, I figure I'm due for a fuck up sooner than later.

Nope, I ain't buying no thermal so I can shoot coyotes 350 yards away or more because that means I have to walk my sorry ass clear out there to get them, and I don;t do that in the light of day.

Kinda like hysterectomies. Spent a fair amount on getting the wife tuned up some time back and God knows I ain't got my money's worth out of that investment yet and likely never will. LOL (Don't tell her I said that, or I definitely won't earn back my investment.)

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 08, 2020 08:48 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Lance, I have sympathy. As to your wish list. If you manage to get your hands on state of the art thermal. Look, it's really primarily useful for observation. You mention 350 yards, and even in bright sunshine, with the best optics money can buy, it's still not a slam dunk. I have always felt a degree of satisfaction in killing a 350 yard coyote. We hear a lot of chatter these days about ringing steel at 600/800 yards, and that's sorta entry level for the Macho guys with their what are they called? modular systems, and they are playing Delta sniper, and whatever. And, we know that hitting a steel plate at 800 yards takes some skill, but still, it's not under field conditions when we are hunting and have to make the most of glare and wind and estimating drop with hunting bullets. I have always said, yes, you hear a hit, if the wind is right, but that is the easy part. Now, you have to go find him. You have to mark your location exactly for referring back, once you get out there, or where you think he was? When they run, or when they fall in their tracks, they disappear. Another thing I always say is, make damned sure you have some kind of terrain feature out there, you know, for a mental noted that he was standing 20 feet left of that pine tree. If all you have is never ending CRP or sage and it's all the same, you might invest a couple hours traipsing around and come up empty without blood or body so you don't pull the trigger casually. And, if it's at night, I'm telling you, you have made a big deal, if you wind up dragging an animal back 350 yards, especially at night and if you are talking "thermal" it's zero dark thirty.

Thermal scopes aren't that precise, yeah, you can see an illuminated blob but for precise shot placement, it is not the best for center of mass and for sure a facing head shot. if there guys are banging away at a stationary animal, your chances for an anchoring hit aren't very good. Lot's of times, because of the lay of the land, 450 can look like 350, it's really hard to decide on bullet placement unless you have a 338 Lapua and some excellent ballistics.

In my opinion, I think you would do well to restrict your thermal shooting to more like 200 yards, Amigo. There just is no free lunch, and don't forget those thousands of dollars in lunch money you have invested. Go forth, and think rational! Wish I could be more enthusiastic. Don't throw away your red light and Dykem.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters