The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Coyotes (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Coyotes
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted January 29, 2020 08:05 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Just to keep this place a coyote hunting site, I recently got three shots at a coyote at about 125 yards. Called them in with a Crit-r-Call, rabbit & howls.
All three shots missed but at least I found all of my arrows in a nice group.

[Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7580 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 30, 2020 08:30 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Must have been somebody's pet? But, you are sounding like a true Benchrester, more satisfied in your group rather than actually hitting anything. Now tell us it was a field point, anyway.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted January 30, 2020 10:16 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Nope .............. Zwickey 2 blade broadheads.

[Cool]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7580 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 30, 2020 10:43 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't that the one called, "Sailors"?

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 30, 2020 10:46 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I want you to get me all knowed up on that stuff. I have a moderate amount of hidden talent since I won a "gold medal" at Club Med in archery. It's impressive, I think.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted January 30, 2020 01:08 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
No, the Zwickeys that I use are the Eskimo model. (and no, I have no idea why they call them Eskimos )

If you want to check out Traditional Archery, there are a couple of good magazines. Traditional Bowhunter, should be on the magazine rack now at your local Wally World. TradArcher's World is another good read.
As far as books, Traditional Archery by Sam Fadala has a lot of good info and one of the best hunting books I've ever read, Now, Ramblings From The Old Derelict Bowhunter by Dr. Ed Ashby.
Go to eBay & type in Archery Book.

Also if you're serious, there should be an Archery Club somewhere near you.
And, ...... Plan on coming up to the Conejo Valley Archers Traditional Challenge in early May, Tapo Cyn. Park, Simi Valley.

Edit 4 speling

[ January 30, 2020, 04:22 PM: Message edited by: Kokopelli ]

--------------------

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted January 31, 2020 07:56 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
On thing that I should have mentioned & cannot stress enough;
If you do decide to get into shooting pointed sticks, GET INSTRUCTION BY SOMEBODY THAT KNOWS WHAT THEY'RE DOING !!!
People that teach themselves tend to teach themselves bad habits that are hard to unlearn.

Ok ............. Off to Historic Globe Arizona Apache Bowhunters Hunter Challenge.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 31, 2020 11:03 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, good luck!

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted February 10, 2020 02:16 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
The last couple years have been disappointing in Nevada for Coyote numbers. At least in the areas we normally hunt. Haven’t really hunted it very hard because of it.

But have had some great luck re-focusing on some areas here in Utah. No huge numbers days but just nice and consistent...

Hopefully Nevada bounces back soon....

Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 10, 2020 02:36 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it's always been moderately dependent on the jackrabbit cycle. Nevada, probably more so than other places. At least I always felt that the abundance of prey has a bearing. I have felt the bobcat population was slightly more vulnerable. But, some people think the fires and denuding of the sage is pretty significant.

Just take that area northwest of Winnmucca. They had a big fire up there (what) 20 years ago and has it ever really snapped back.

Gotta have hope!
Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TRnCO
FUTURE HALL OF FAMER
Member # 690

Icon 1 posted February 29, 2020 08:35 AM      Profile for TRnCO   Email TRnCO         Edit/Delete Post 
So Koko, were you shooting high or low? And just how much hold over is there at 125 yards?

On my compound my single pin adjustable sight allows me to shoot out to about 80 yards before I run out of adjustment, at which point I'd be simply guessing on hold over.

I've never practiced any further then 70 yards and I've never shot at any game animal past 55 yards. Only reason I shot that far was because I had put an arrow through an elk and called him back in and got a 2nd shot, and since he was still on his feet, I wanted to hit him again. Kind of amazing to me that my 2nd arrow completely passed through at that range and thankfully it was better shot placement then the first and was lethal.

Shot a few coyotes with my bow years ago. Most memorable was one that I hit almost directly between the eyes as he was coming to the call.

--------------------
Is it hunting season yet? I hate summer!

Posts: 996 | From: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted March 01, 2020 10:08 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Haven't forgotten about ya, TR.
Rebaling my range. .......... Will try to post a proper response thip p.m. [Cool]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 01, 2020 06:31 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I, for one, cannot wait!

edit: actually, I don't have the time right now, and I'm a plunger, if you know what I mean? Once I decide to get into strings and pointed sticks, I'd go hog wild.

Good hunting. El Bee

[ March 01, 2020, 06:34 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted March 01, 2020 07:06 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Productive day !!! ...... I now have the coolest 3D bear target ever. Old bales for a backstop with a cardboard facing & a rattlecan camo job. Target is a couple of yards in front. I 'just happened' to have a leg bone off of a smallish cow. Put an old tennis shoe on it and positioned it by the bear target. Yeah, I've got a weird sense of humor.

Ok ............. The shots were downhill into a sand wash. Couldn't follow the flight all of the way & fell a bit short.
Can't imagine hunting with a single adjustable pin. Back in the day when I shot a compound w/pins I ran three pins, 20-40-60 and a dot on the pin guard was 80. Simple & worked for me.
On long clout shots we would 'walk the pins'. Basically, if you're looking at, say, 120 yards you would put your 80 pin on the target and go up 40 yards to the 40 yard pin and note what that pin is on. Tree, rock, whatever. Move the 80 yard pin up to where the 40 yard pin was, give it just a wee bit more and cut 'er loose. With practice you may not hit the jackrabbit but you may come close enough to make him jump.
With a recurve, the hold-over is quite a bit above point on at those kinds of distances.
Now, a couple of things;
(1) I believe that as long as it can be done safely, that there is no such thing as an un-ethical practice / roving shot.
(2) I also believe that extremely long shots should not be taken at game animals.
However, as far as maximum distances go, I think that it depends on a lot of things. Taking a shot from a stand after four hours of sitting in the snow is not the same as an early season still-hunt with a roving practice shot now and then.
(3) What I do believe strongly is that more than limiting distance is how long is one willing to spend tracking in the event of a poor hit, long or close range. Poo-poo occurs and unless the shooter is willing to spend the time to see it thru to the end no mater how long it takes, he shouldn't drop the string or the hammer.

End of rant [Big Grin]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 01, 2020 08:55 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, and you know all those news stories featuring a duck with an arrow that managed to stick out the far side and perfectly centered and the duck none the worse for wear. Makes great propaganda! You get it.

I think most ethical hunters at least weigh diminishing returns, as far as recovering a cripple. Evaluating an initial shot, I personally need several things to be in place before I will fling lead "Out Yonder." People don't realize how an animal literally disappears when it falls. Maybe sometimes you might be standing on a hill and have barren ground between you and the game. Dream on!

I could go on, it's almost dark, the wind is blowing sideways, the animal is running and quartering away. Lots of variables and the responsible hunter needs to be realistic, whether it's archery tackle, a handgun, primitive, or some kind of trapdoor 45-70. But the worst offenders will probably have a "Ray Gun" and supreme confidence. lol

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: what I mean by initial shot does not mean that you can't take a low percentage shot at wounded game.

[ March 01, 2020, 08:57 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted April 19, 2020 05:34 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
When I was able to hunt never pointed a stick at anything past 45 yards!
killed dead many a critter !

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted April 19, 2020 11:21 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Long downhill shots in the direction I was going anyway at a hung up critter.
Nothing ventured ..........................

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 20, 2020 09:47 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I'm familiar with that expression! Does it end with:
"nothing gained" ?

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted April 20, 2020 03:33 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Yup.

I have a sign in my workshop;

"The guaranteed way to fail is to not try in the first place".

Unless you're bench pressing without a spotter. Bad idea. Really really bad idea.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 20, 2020 05:22 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Used to do it all the time, and I survived. Somehow? Is there an expiration? I mean, they won't take me alive, believe that!

I mean. I'm just thinking about the people that are getting in trouble for objecting to rules. Somebody was recently actually arrested for voicing objections to some governors rules. The Consolidated Left is totally on board with suppression of basic civil rights!

The fucking Democrats are nudging closer and closer to full blown Fascists!

I swear, it's true. We are only one election away from losing ALL of our basic civil rights! Lefties really like CONTROL! That is getting more obvious every day!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TRnCO
FUTURE HALL OF FAMER
Member # 690

Icon 1 posted May 03, 2020 12:54 PM      Profile for TRnCO   Email TRnCO         Edit/Delete Post 
I usually leave em alone this time of year but when I spotted this handsome gal about 1/2 mile out behind my house the other day, I just had to try to put her out of her misery. Was kind of a fire drill since I had pulled batteries out of my call and remote. Had sweats on, but grabbed a camo jacket and hat. Through the suppressor on my .22 creede because I hadn't drawn blood with it yet. She came running to rabbit on a string. Had to bark stop her at 35 yards.
Ain't she a beaut Clark!
 - KIMG0497 by Tim Richard, on Flickr

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 03, 2020 06:03 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
You are my hero! I know the feeling, some of them are just asking for it!

Good hunting. El Bee

PS what is that camo pattern on the stock?

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TRnCO
FUTURE HALL OF FAMER
Member # 690

Icon 1 posted May 05, 2020 05:51 PM      Profile for TRnCO   Email TRnCO         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard, I bought the rifle used and the stock matched the barrel, all cerekote green. I didn't care for it so I gave the stock a rattle can digital spray job. Ain't the best but as far as I'm concerned, better than all green.

--------------------

Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted May 05, 2020 06:50 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Last stand I made was three weeks ago. Every thing was paired up and every morning I went out I was sucking in pairs.The last morning I made sure and took camera on each stand for photos to keep on phone. Called in a pair on first stand, got both of them, but second stand had me missing the female of the pair.
Third stand was to be my last of the day, was getting warm and wife and I had some shit to do in town. Walking out I felt in my pocket, no camera, figured I'd just drag whatever I shot back to truck for photo session.
Five minutes into the stand, in comes a big mature lion, sat down at 40 yards and glared at my dog for ten minutes. I had no intentions of shooting it, so got ready to leave. Every time the dog sees me drop magazine and pull bolt back to unload, he comes back to me and when I lower my rifle, he's up in my lap looking and scanning.
Lion sat there watching the ritual, when I stood up to retrieve the call,and the dog jumped from my lap, that's when it decided to stand, turn and walk briskly away.
The whole time, my dog never had never spotted it, only when I'd raise my rifle to get a close up, man he would focus on where the rifle was pointed, but without movement he never laid eyes on it. Of course when it left, he caught that movement and damned if he didn't haul ass after it. Fortunately, he is reasonably obedient and pays attention to commands. I hollered, he was 20 yards on its tail, but he checked up, and came right back.
That's the third lion Ive ever called in, but among the 9 Ive been fortunate to see while out hunting and poking around in southern Arizona.

Posts: 1627 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 06, 2020 08:26 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Good story.

Except for one, every lion I've seen was at night. No! two come to think of it. One thing for sure, you always remember a lion.

You know what they say? Hunt the mountains where the deer are and you have a much better chance of calling a lion. That's pretty well true, but those transients sometimes move from one range to another. Hard to say but I've heard that a Tom might have a territory of 100 miles. I'm not sure if that's from boundary to boundary or square miles, or what but they might have 4-6 females within that territory?

Good hunting. El Bee

My pup would not have stopped! Talk about a free spirit! And, I have a certificate that says she graduated from Obedience School!

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters