The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Shooting multiples (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Shooting multiples
TOM64
Knows what it's all about
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted April 13, 2019 07:51 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
Coyote are pretty smart, I hunted a ranch years ago pretty hard. It got leased out and one of the guys started hunting coyotes and swore he saw one crawl to the top of a ridge, peaking over to see if it was a real rabbit or me calling.

True story [Wink]

Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 14, 2019 12:09 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I watched a jackrabbit climb up a prickly pear cactus, hand over hand, so to speak, but climbed it like some rock climber. And when he got as high as he could get, he started looking around in the direction of the caller playing “lightning jack” or similar. It was the oddest behavior I have ever seen by a jack, almost had human quality to it. Made my day, actually.

Good hunting. El Bee 🐝

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31465 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted April 14, 2019 04:23 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
I call rabbits all the time about three to one jacks over cottons ! Some of our antelope jack are about the size of a small coyote faked me out more than once !

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
TRnCO
FUTURE HALL OF FAMER
Member # 690

Icon 1 posted April 26, 2019 05:44 AM      Profile for TRnCO   Email TRnCO         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it is more important what a guy does AFTER the first shot then which coyote he shoots first. But like many I take the first coyote that stops and gives me a easy shot, and from there over the years I've learned that if I want to kill'em all after the first shot I need to have patience. I've killed 5 quads, and a six pack in recent years and on everyone of those stands I never took a running shot. I've learned that instead of taking shots at fleeing coyotes it's better to hit em with a good fight sound on the Lucky Duck call. More times then not, fleeing coyotes will either turn around and come running back in, or they will stop to look. It's like they know they have partners in crime on scene and if one of their partners is involved in a fight, the others want in on it.
In other words, for me at least, it's better to skip low percentage running shots and wait for standing shots, even if they are a little further out. Coyotes like to fight apparently because I've seen fight sounds work very effectively in helping me kill multiples.
Here's a quad that I killed late last season. You can see how wide open the terrain is, so open that I actually get in and situated in the dark.
But even in this wide open terrain the longest shot to kill this quad was about 110 yards and once again, I never shot at a moving coyote.
 - KIMG0584 by Tim Richard, on Flickr

--------------------
Is it hunting season yet? I hate summer!

Posts: 996 | From: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted April 26, 2019 01:12 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Come On TR! Your a You Tube star!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tq0KUL4UI-g

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted April 26, 2019 02:46 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
I might be crazy but I’d take a good day of singles than a bunch of multiples any day. I remember a few years back when we were calling for a couple days and in the first area we called we called multiples on every stand that produced (probably 5-6 stands)anywhere from 2-4 Coyotes on each stand. I think we killed 6 Coyotes that day. Probably called 15 total. Next day we went to another area. Called probably 12-13 stands and killed 10 singles. The singles just seemed alittle more predictable.lol

Good Hunting Chad

Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TRnCO
FUTURE HALL OF FAMER
Member # 690

Icon 1 posted April 27, 2019 08:43 AM      Profile for TRnCO   Email TRnCO         Edit/Delete Post 
Mark you need to find something else to do with your time then digging around on youtube, lots of worthless stuff there ya know. [Wink]

No doubt about it Chad, if a guy wants to kill every coyote called, it's much easier to do it if they all come as singles.

--------------------
Is it hunting season yet? I hate summer!

Posts: 996 | From: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted April 27, 2019 08:58 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't know we had a You Tube star member? We can learn so much from them.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31465 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters