The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Hand held gps (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Hand held gps
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted January 03, 2019 04:49 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Caution is needed I had a friend that was six feet off and lost his hunting and trapping privileges for three years . And we are taking the nicest and most honest guy you will ever meet !

[ January 03, 2019, 04:50 AM: Message edited by: Paul Melching ]

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted January 03, 2019 05:52 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
I sometimes watch these game cop shows , why is it they can go any where without warrant and check for violations I don't like scumbag poachers any more than the next guy but its always guilty till proven innocent?

[ January 03, 2019, 05:53 AM: Message edited by: Paul Melching ]

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted January 03, 2019 06:14 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I watch those shows on rare occasion, only to be reminded why I don't tune in more...
Regardless of whether the officer is a good ol' boy, or an obvious dickweed, you're exactly right Paul, most everyone confronted is assumed guilty of something...

But to err on the side of the decent officers, I think that has as much, or more to do with the narrative those shows are produced to follow. All it takes to figger that out, is to see what channel the show is on! Ya can't tell me with a straight face that a show on ANIMAL PLANET is gonna give deference to us deplorable bambi killers, do ya??

IMHO, it's just another hit job on US. Now...stating that is NOT to excuse poachers or slobs, it's just that the show sure doesn't go out of its way to delineate who's who. Therefore, we are all cast in the same negative light, by design...

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 03, 2019 10:43 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
That is particularly true, in my opinion! Those producers have an axe to grind, and they make zero effort to define the difference between the illegal stuff and legitimate hunting and complying with sensible game laws.

That's why I don't watch that shit anymore. It just pisses me off. Whether the perps are intentionally breaking the law or are caught in a misunderstanding of, or ignorance of a certain law. In other words, I think the average viewer comes away thinking that poacher and hunter are interchangeable words with the same meaning.

I'm telling you, I have long been suspicious of the infiltration of state game and fish or department of wildlife. Used to be, the wardens and biologists were fellow travelers, sportsmen and hunters just like me. Not any more. There people seem to be hard core enforcement types, and suspiciously likely to use obviously underhanded methods, sting type shit. I guess regulations are necessary, but that time I witnessed a Fish and Game Captain check about 40 dove hunters almost in a row, and during prime time, and catching a couple of dumb schmucks that forgot to install a plug. That was harassment, in my mind and everybody there felt the same way. In other words, I didn't see anybody shaming the fool, they just thought it was kind of unlucky.

Anymore, I do not greet wardens with anything other than apprehension, like what is this prick going to come up with? I had two wardens search the whole vehicle and camper looking to see if there might be a single 2 3/4" 12 gauge shell somewhere that could be loaded into a short barreled Mossberg 500 that was used as a walk out gun for tracking down cripples and therefore, did not have a plug and didn't use anything except 3" shells and it's hardly a birdgun anyway. But, the intent of these clowns was to find something they could write up, because they already had a hard on for predator hunters.

It doesn't take too many negative encounters with these pricks and you develop an attitude. And, I have others; don't get me started. [Smile]

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31473 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted January 03, 2019 11:56 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Ive had 2 similar experiences last couple years regarding coyote hunting with a shotgun. Both turned out well but you have to gently remind them of the regs as they are fixiated on bird hunting when they see a shotgun. In my case, both wardens were pretty cool about it, but one did try to lecture me about the "optics" of what I was doing. I said that I welcome inspection anytime as long as no one had a chip on their shoulder just out to get someone. I know it pissed him off a little but I do think he wanted to be fair...that day. They both looked in the truck to see if I had birds, regardless of pointing out dead coyotes and 3" shells with big ass shot in em.

Ive had some real dicks pull up on me. The worst are the women wardens...they have something to prove.
Mark

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 03, 2019 01:20 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
In response to the above and to clarify what I wrote. Those guys were trying to insert more than 6 shells, which I guess was some type of limit, at least at that time. This gun held 6 rounds comfortably and came tantalizingly close to accepting a 7th. That's why they tried to find a short shell to prove a violation. Anyway, with these days of 20 round magazines, etc. it might be a mute point, but they seem to want to equate everything with bird hunting as Mark just said.Also, seems to me that you have to be in the field hunting birds before those regulations are enforceable. A shotgun in your truck without a plug is not a violation, in my opinion.

Also, I completely agree with his claim that female wardens are the worst! Totally enforcement and punishment and "By the book" harassment, and they aren't the least bit embarrassed if caught being wrong. They just act like, well I tried, can't blame me for trying! It's a complete negative attitude. No damned wonder they get the same back at them.

One time, on a completely different subject as I was talking to this pony tailed chick, she suddenly veered off as my son walked by with a spinning outfit. She tried to jump him about a barbless hook regulation in a nearby stream, but we weren't even there, yet she wanted to check if he had a barb on his spinner. It's enforcement, as if she is the only thing standing between the wildlife and slaughter.

It's obvious that I do have a negative attitude concerning game wardens. Truthfully, years ago, I didn't. Then I was sited for accidentally walking into a geese pasture inadequately marked by a couple of 12" white stakes, & while we were hunting pheasant. Seized our "weapons" and had to appear 200 miles from home on a work day. I paid the fine. That was the first and only game infraction I have ever suffered but left me indignant; like I was an ex con. And, I've never been arrested for anything, ever. It's like a stigma, a blemish, a scoff law. Forgot to mention, they didn't actually take our guns, they just recorded the serial numbers and it was called a technical seizure, meaning that they could have if they wanted to.

Of course, now days, they love to seize vehicles and anything of value, usually concerning drug offenses but also F&G code.

Sorry to rattle on. I told ya, don't get me started!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31473 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
NVWalt
Does not claim to be overly bright!
Member # 375

Icon 1 posted January 03, 2019 05:11 PM      Profile for NVWalt           Edit/Delete Post 
Same here Leonard. Don't get me started!!!!

--------------------
Support Communism and help destroy the United States of America ! VOTE DEMOCRAT. "In the end, they aren't coming after me. They are coming after you!" D.Trump

Posts: 640 | From: Tellico Plains, TN | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
DiYi
Wears wife's pink panties under his camo for good luck. (yeah, right!)
Member # 3785

Icon 1 posted January 08, 2019 01:38 PM      Profile for DiYi           Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting article:https://blog.gaiagps.com/gaia-gps-vs-onx-hunt/
Posts: 623 | From: SoDak | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
Semp
GOLD STAR MEMBER
Member # 3074

Icon 1 posted November 25, 2019 02:53 AM      Profile for Semp           Edit/Delete Post 
The ONX app is on sale again for 30% off. Through next Monday I think.

[ November 25, 2019, 02:59 AM: Message edited by: Semp ]

--------------------
Always remember: That court appointed psychiatrist is not your friend.

Posts: 406 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
DEL GUE
SECOND PLACE: Mad Bomber lookalike contest
Member # 1526

Icon 1 posted February 14, 2020 11:08 PM      Profile for DEL GUE   Email DEL GUE         Edit/Delete Post 
For anybody who actually wants a handheld gps, I picked up this at Bass Pro last year around Black Friday. I got a deal on it.

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/garmin-gpsmap-64st-handheld-navigation-unit

It's a little bigger than some, but the attribute is that it works off of buttons, not touch screen, so if you're trying to use it in winter with gloves on, you can.

A few years ago I picked up another Garmin, I think it was a Etrex 25. I still have that one.

Previously I had an Oregon model, but it shit the bit, which kinda pissed me off, as it was too much coin to just take a dump like that.

Anyway, I'm happy with my 64st now.

Having just a single gps or phone out in the bush makes me nervous. It's electronic, so it could crap out or the batts die (ALWAYS carry fresh spares!!). I prefer redundancy, like a second unit, or a map and ball compass. Two is one and one is none.

--------------------
"I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart." - Bear Claw

Posts: 588 | From: FL | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters