The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Lion

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lion
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted November 06, 2018 03:52 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
So me and Tim called in another lion on accident the other day. This one was pretty cool

Sitting there trying to call a coyote, with a stiff wind hitting my right shoulder, caller 20 yards in front of me, Tim sitting 20 yards to my left.

Seven minutes into the jackrabbit, I noticed Tim move a little bit so I looked over at him and there is a pretty good sized mountain lion only 35 yards from him. Lion was in a low crouch, coming straight up the wind, totally locked on Tim.

I swung around and put my dot on the cats face, just on GP, but not actually worried or anything.

The lion came about ten more yards in that low crouch, then laid down next to a piece of sage brush 25 yards from Tim and just stared at us. Typical cat, thought he was invisible or something.

I had the timer on the remote going, so I know I'm accurate when I say we all sat like that for five minutes. Eventually, Tim lit a cigarette and after awhile of cigarette smoke blowing right at it, the lion finally stood up and slowly started to walk away.

Pretty good sized, at least a third bigger than the one me and my kids saw in August. My estimate, 130 pounds. Big round watermelon head and ears that looked small. When he finally did stand up and start walking off, he only went about ten yards, stopped and stood looking back broadside. Then kept on stopping every ten to twenty yards and looking back broadside as he slowly walked away up the hill.

All told, we had visual (and easy shot) on him for ten minutes or so.

Pretty cool.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Eddie
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4324

Icon 1 posted November 06, 2018 04:11 AM      Profile for Eddie   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Now that would be something to see....a cat up close like that.
I have never see one in the wild, my hunting buddy has had 3 come by him. Just not in the right place at the right time.

Posts: 275 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted November 06, 2018 06:59 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Uhhhh……………………………….. PICTURES ???????

Mt. Lions have a 'cool' factor that's off the charts !!!

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted November 06, 2018 07:14 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
No pics this time. I never carry both a camera and a gun on a stand. Just one or the other, and I haven't carried the camera yet this year [Smile] .

Few pics of the usual stuff from this weekend for ya though, lol!

-

-

-

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted November 06, 2018 07:53 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Thats awesome sauce!
Mark

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted November 06, 2018 07:59 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
[Confused] [Confused] [Confused]

I've carried a pocket camera ever since a Redtail Hawk landed on my caller.

Have you seen the 'Yurt Tent' that Wally World carries ???? Don't know if it's any good or not but it looks pretty cool and seems to be quite roomy.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 06, 2018 08:29 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Gets the juices flowing, donut?

I'll say this, I've bumped them in the daytime and saw one cross in front of me on a stand once, but I can't say for sure that he was called because he looked like he was just passing through, from start to finish. All the rest have been at night.

Another thing. Regardless, bobcat or lion, the behavior is so similar, to my mind as to be indistinguishable. They are just as likely to approach from straight downwind as any other point of the compass. And, this is my personal opinion, but they can sure as hell smell ya, they just don't care, as long as they don't perceive a threat.

Another thing. I miss the good old days when I wouldn't give it a second thought....and I didn't. Now, we are at the mercy of the bureaucrats and the regulators. I have never believed that lions need or deserve protection anymore than a coyote. It's a revenue device, in my opinion.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted November 06, 2018 09:04 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
It definitely does get the juices flowing. But then, a coyote can still get my juices flowing [Big Grin] .

Koko, I guess my pocket camera would be okay for just documenting, being able to show photographic proof, but it wouldn't take a wildlife pic I'd ever want to admit I took. I was sure wishing I had my big rig, but still not too likely to ever carry a pocket camera with me on stand.

But, heck, I think most guys carry phones even when they are hunting these days. They can shoot video with them or whatever, if they want. My phone gets turned off as soon as we leave the last gas station and doesn't get turned back on until well back into civilization.

Had not ever heard of the Walmart yurt tent. Just googled it. Does look roomy!

- DAA

--------------------

ATexan
Member # 6799

Icon 1 posted November 06, 2018 11:03 AM      Profile for ATexan   Email ATexan         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice coyote Tim is showing the camera 😀
I don't think I could sit still while a lion was locked onto me and coming in so close! I would be a nervous man. I have been close to a couple of bob cats but a lion!?! Wow.
Hey DDA, what kind of tent is that in the back ground. Kodiak tent? I am in the market for a good canvass tent and I have my eye on a tent just like the one in the pics.. I am need for a four season tent...

Posts: 112 | From: Texas | Registered: Mar 2018  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted November 06, 2018 11:33 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
ATexan that is a Springbar tent.

Kodiak's are pretty decent too, they are a chinese made rip off of the Springbar. They aren't as well made as Springbar, but they aren't as expensive either and they are made well enough for most people to never know the difference.

I use my tents hard enough to really know the difference though, lol!

Link to the Springbar in the pics:

https://www.springbar.com/springbar-outfitter-3-tent.html

That is our new one, only about a year old. We went in half on it, so I don't use it by myself.

I have one just like it I've had for 20 years and put over 600 nights on that I use when I'm by myself and it's still going pretty good. Got a little bit of funk to it from being put away wet too many times, and it has been patched a number of times especially on the floor. But, 20 years of really hard use and downright abuse and it's still giving good service. That's what I mean about using them hard enough. Nothing wrong with Kodiak's, but they won't last like a Springbar, they cut too many corners for that. Here's the old one being used a few weeks ago.

-

One thing, the smallest Kodiak is quite a bit bigger than the Outfitter 3 Springbars I have - too big, for my purposes, actually. The 8x9 Kodiak packs up way bigger and heavier than my 8x7 Springbar, would take up way too much room in the Jeep and is just a bigger tent than one or two guys just using it to sleep in need. 56 sq/ft vs 72 sq/ft is a lot more difference than the outside dimensions might suggest. In a lot of the country I roll, it even makes quite a difference in how easy it is to find a spot to even put the tent. For anyone who wants a bit more space though, the Kodiak is a good deal. I have another, bigger Springbar too though [Big Grin] .

- DAA

--------------------

ATexan
Member # 6799

Icon 1 posted November 06, 2018 01:56 PM      Profile for ATexan   Email ATexan         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks DDA! I have been looking for a good canvass tent for awhile. I have been using the good ol' wally world tents for a long time and I am tired of replacing them every year or two. The material of these new tents are terrible for high winds and driving rain. I have had too many tents collapse or rip at the seems because of the weather.
I was just about to pull the trigger on the kodiak.. Lol, didn't see it was made in China... Gonna have to save a few more for a better tent. Thanks again for the info.

Posts: 112 | From: Texas | Registered: Mar 2018  |  IP: Logged
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted November 06, 2018 07:20 PM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, that is about 9 minute and 55 seconds more than most people will ever get to see of a lion..

No tag? Season not open? Or just not interested in shooting one?

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted November 07, 2018 03:47 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Lonny, no tag, not even sure what the season is.

Had a tag last year, depredation, only for certain areas, at certain times, but it's long since expired. No idea what's legal right now.

Actually did pass on a lion that I could have used that tag on too though. Just saw it while driving and didn't feel like shooting it. I did get a few pictures of that one at least.

- DAA

--------------------

Locohead
World Famous Smoke Dancer
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted November 07, 2018 11:22 PM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
I must of missed those pictures Dave...can we see them again?

--------------------
I love my critters and chick!!!! :)

Posts: 2219 | From: CO | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted November 08, 2018 03:48 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Pretty sure I posted them here Danny. But here's a quick link to see them:

Lion and deer and stuff

- DAA

--------------------

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters