The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Must be living right...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Must be living right...
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted November 17, 2015 03:52 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Got another quad. Second hunt in a row. Pretty sure I've never had that happen two hunts in a row before.

I didn't kill all four this time though [Big Grin] . Pete killed two, I killed one and me and Steve double tapped one. Actually, I took a shot at the last one and missed, before Pete drained it. He says I hit it and he just finished it off, but the way it was acting, I think I missed. All's well that ends well though I reckon [Big Grin] .

-

-

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted November 17, 2015 07:03 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice!

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Aaron Rhoades
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4234

Icon 1 posted November 17, 2015 08:11 PM      Profile for Aaron Rhoades           Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome Dave, sure getting them killed!
Posts: 155 | From: Washington | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted November 18, 2015 06:08 AM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
A stand worth remembering, for sure. Good shooting, Tex, or as K and I say, "GO TEAM JESUS !!!" Makes us feel better since we hunt on Sundays. LOL

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 14 posted November 18, 2015 08:30 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Good work. But who is Steve and Pete? Anybody we know?

As far as "quads" that's a hell of a lot rarer (up where you were) than say, certain parts of the southwest along the border. In fact, pondering it for a second, I can't remember any "quads" I have experienced, that far north? So, you obviously lead a charmed life, which we already knew!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted November 18, 2015 08:37 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard, Pete and Steve are just old friends, but I know a lot of the guys here either know them, or know of them. Cal knows Steve Dillon, specifically, I know. Pete lived in MD up until last year, has done a lot of Foxpro TV shows hunting red fox. He only moved to Salt Lake about a year ago, but we've known each other for 20 years.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted November 18, 2015 09:25 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Great hunt Dave. There must be some good numbers of Coyotes this year. We went out for a 4 day hunt last week and called in 31 coyotes. With 4 separate triples. More Coyote than I have seen in a few years. And tons of rabbits too.

Good Hunting Chad

Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted November 18, 2015 09:37 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Good shit, Dave!
Were those guys twisting yer arm to film a Furtakers episode?
I know I'd enjoy watching that show...

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 18, 2015 02:04 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, thanks, Dave. I should have recognized Steve?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted November 19, 2015 01:43 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Were those guys twisting yer arm to film a Furtakers episode?
Mmmm.... Could be?

-

[Big Grin]

Camera man is Mike Law and he was awesome. Had heard all kinds of horror stories about filming these TV episodes and what a PITA it was. Mike made it quite painless. Barely knew he was there most of the time. Great guy, total professional, has his shit in the right pile, welcome to hunt with me anytime - with or without his camera.

No idea when this will air. Might not be until next year? They did tell me we tied the record for most coyotes killed on a Furtakers episode though. And we really should have smashed that record. LOTS of unjustifiable misses happened. Lots! Your's truly not exempted!

- DAA

[ November 19, 2015, 01:47 PM: Message edited by: DAA ]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 19, 2015 02:24 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh boy! That's one of my pet peeves on coyote videos! Sorry to hear of it, Dave. I know you are better than that, must be some kind of jinx?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kelly Jackson
SECOND PLACE/GARTH BROOKS LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 977

Icon 1 posted November 20, 2015 06:15 AM      Profile for Kelly Jackson   Email Kelly Jackson         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice job Dave. Real pretty country. Congrat on getting a quad on film. Looking forward to watching.
kj

Posts: 997 | From: Comanche OK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted November 21, 2015 07:38 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Kelly. I was a little bit bummed that getting four on a stand on film was still one short of qualifying for AJ field staff though!

- DAA

--------------------

DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted November 21, 2015 07:41 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard, the poor shooting defied logic. There were "some" semi-legitimate excuses. Like, I was shooting a rifle I'd never used before (a Ruger). And we found out halfway through the first day that Steve's zero was off quite a bit.

And we were supposed to have had a shotgun on stand, which would have upped our take for sure. But it got damaged in shipping and was out of commission.

But, still. We missed some that there simply is not ANY excuse for!

To give myself a little bit of credit though, out of the 12 that got taken on film, including the double taps, I put lead in 9 of them.

- DAA

--------------------

Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted November 22, 2015 09:18 AM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
Fantastic pics Dave!

Like probably most on this board, I finding missed coyotes in videos bothersome. I fully realize it's gonna happen from time to time, but don't want to watch a video that has many botched shots.

On the flipside, I can only imagine(never done it) how difficult it must be to film a hunt and not have screw-ups. As a shooter, it must really suck to have a perfectly shootable coyote standing at 60 yards and the cameraman doesn't have it in his frame yet or vice-versa....

Also too, I'm pretty darn comfortable hunting in my area. But going all over the country with different kinds of terrain must be a learning experience every time. Heck, I don't like setting up where coyotes can show up unannounced at 30 yards... But in some corners of the world that is the norm.

Not to mention, travel with firearms and making sure they are sighted in from the bumps of travel.

As an comparison, you quite often you see an 80% free-throw shooter whose team is down by 1 or 2 points, at the line with 3 seconds to go and they miss at least one or maybe both shots when in front of the crowd and TV. Bet that doesn't happen much in practice?

Kickers in football... Shit, those guys are nailing 58 yarders regularly before the game, but a 37 yard FG down by 2 with 5 seconds to go is often a 50/50 deal at best. A big dose of pressure in front of others and I can see where things go sideways.

[ November 22, 2015, 09:18 AM: Message edited by: Lonny ]

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters