The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Calling black bear?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Calling black bear?
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted July 27, 2015 12:25 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Any of you have experience calling in black bear?

Tell me about it!

I called in one, one time, on accident - using a cow elk call. But have never really tried calling them.

Saw the biggest one I've ever seen a couple days ago. Great big cinnamon/blonde. Honestly looked to be fully twice the size of most the bear I've seen in Utah. Bigger than any of the black bear I saw in Yellowstone last year.

He bailed as soon as he saw the Jeep and I had no chance for taking a picture. Drove on to where I was going and hiked 10 miles, then stopped when I came back by and called with fawn distress for half an hour, just for the heck of it. Nothing.

Anyway... Just got me thinking it might be a fun summer diversion to try and call in a bear for the camera. And wondering if any of you have had much luck with it?

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted July 27, 2015 01:22 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Dave, Ive called in a few, using cottontail calls, fawn bleats,and crazy cub bawls and screams. I like the fawn bleats best. Seems to be the most appealing to them imo. Ive had success doing some cold calling, knowing bears were in the area, and Ive also spotted them first and called them to me. Heavy cover sucks, they can be right on you in no time, Ive had them come up on me and not even know it, if the ground is bare. Other times they sound like a freight train blasting thru the woods.

Last year, during archery season, I spotted a big boy on top of a small hill, about 80 yards away. I was walking on the dirt road at the base, and I whipped out an enclosed reed call, did some bleats, and this thing just hauled ass down the hill right at me. It honestly startled me, cause he sounded like a pickup truck coming thru the brush and trees. Then I realized that he was focused like a laser on my position, and I was more than a little nervous at that point. He stopped about 30 yards away, right behind a tree. He stood there for a bit, then I noticed he was popping his jaws and slobbering, so he knew I was there. I let an arrow fly but totally missed him. He hauled and I never saw him again. This same scenerio has happened to me twice on this same hill, with different bears, and one was not called in.
I love to hunt black bears during archery, but it can get scary. I will be back at it next month though.

I called in and shot one probly 10 years ago, after seeing him standing on a dirt road. Just started calling like I was calling coyotes, and he ran up the dirt road and I shot him at about 50 yards with a rifle, straight on thru the front chest. Backed the pickup up to him, loaded him up and went home.

Mark

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted July 27, 2015 06:35 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
First; Make sure that you really want to call in a bear. It can get pretty intense.
Second; Back up against something large enough that a bear can't backdoor you. Or get up in a tree stand.
Third; An e-caller and a deke will get the bear's attention away from you. Away from you is good. On top of you is bad.
Fourth; If you're cold calling, call where there's sign.
Fifth; Don't expect high numbers of successful stands but it's a rush when it works.

Good luck !!!!

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7580 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Aaron Rhoades
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4234

Icon 1 posted July 27, 2015 06:51 PM      Profile for Aaron Rhoades           Edit/Delete Post 
Dave, we have called 6 that I know of, we got two of them. WT has a really good bear cub distress that works real well. All of our calling has been cold calling. First one was 35 minutes, a friend shot it. Mine was 2 minutes, got lucky and set up right on it without knowing. I used the WT for all the bear calling, 3 came to a mixture of rabbit, fawn and elk calf.
Posts: 155 | From: Washington | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted July 28, 2015 05:25 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Good stuff fellas!

Hoping I get a chance to try it before summer is over. Will let you know how it goes, if I do.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Aznative
FARTS ON CLUELESS LIBERALS
Member # 506

Icon 1 posted July 28, 2015 06:04 AM      Profile for Aznative           Edit/Delete Post 
While on summer vacation in the white mountains at 9,000 ft elevation with the family, I would get up early and make a few stands calling coyotes. When mouth calling alone, I get on the call much less say 15 seconds and stay off the call for 4 minutes between sets. The reason being is if the coyote is within eyesight of me but I have not seen Mr Coyote, Mr Coyote will immediately lock in on me as soon as I call.

On one such stand while off the call between sets, I heard something big move. I just sat there hoping it would move within range. Finally it moved where I could see its outline within range behind some bushes about 35 yards to my right. It was a nice sized bear. Not a Boone and Crockett trophy but still a good size bear. I gave the call one short peep and it came running across my bow so to speak. I jumped up, yelled, and pulled off my 3D camo head cover. The bear just looked at me and cocked his head for about 3 seconds. He then turned around a ran off. It wasn't bear season.

The other bear I called in I spotted after I quit calling and stood up. He was in some brush about 50 yards away. He was an young adolescent. My wife was with me and that is the only bear she has ever seen in the wild.

BTW and edited in: I was using a pee wee critter call making puppy whines when I called both bears.

[ July 28, 2015, 06:05 AM: Message edited by: Aznative ]

--------------------
Never thought the devil would need a teleprompter but I could be wrong.

United State of America: RIP
Born July 4th 1776 died November 6th 2012

Posts: 1924 | From: Phoenix Az | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 28, 2015 07:12 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I stumbled into a situation three or four years ago north of Congress. It really got me thinking, all negative. First, I don't have a clue if it was in season, didn't have a tag, etc. Also, it was a sow and two cubs! Now what?

End of story is a yawner. They just veered off and down the arroyo into real heavy stuff, but even then, I was worried she could double back on me over the ridge. I had seen enough; get out when the getting's good.

Only daytime bear, ever. Calling at night a couple times but that's totally different, you can afford to screw with one from the truck. For me, the secret is to stay the hell out of the woods, or where ever they like to hang out?

Calling a bear on purpose is for a total optimist. Bring something with you, your lunch, or a cross word puzzle; or knitting that ball warmer you have been neglecting for so long. Whatever.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Aznative
FARTS ON CLUELESS LIBERALS
Member # 506

Icon 1 posted July 28, 2015 10:32 AM      Profile for Aznative           Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard: What State was that in? Congress, Arizona?

--------------------
Never thought the devil would need a teleprompter but I could be wrong.

United State of America: RIP
Born July 4th 1776 died November 6th 2012

Posts: 1924 | From: Phoenix Az | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Moe
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4494

Icon 1 posted July 28, 2015 11:58 AM      Profile for Moe           Edit/Delete Post 
A biologist friend of mine was blowing a deer call, fawn distress, while deer hunting in SE Alaska and called up a huge brown bear that did a false charge on him.

Joe went back to the research vessel and changed his shorts.

I've sat many days in SE Alaska blowing on a deer call but have never called up a bear. I've had a lot of bear encounters, both black and brown, but never called one in.

The only tip I can give you is that if a black bear starts huffing on you it's time to quit screwing with him.

If you get lucky I would love to see the pictures. You're already at "legend" status around here and that would top it all.

--------------------
I snatch kisses. And vice versa.

Posts: 593 | From: Oregon | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 28, 2015 01:13 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Congress? I fergit?

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted August 07, 2015 06:58 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Dave
I have called exactly one black bear intentionally
I set up on sign near a crabapple he'd been hitting. he was supposed to come down a draw to road below us instead he came down the side slope to with in 8-10' of me could have poked him with my rifle then he turned and went down slope to the road and I shot him on the road so I could drive the atv to him for loading. He came in at 10-12 minutes playing cottontail. I had put the caller about fifty yards behind me I had a tree at my back and had a very good idea where he would come from reading his traffic in the dirt.
That's all I know about calling bears maybe more.

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
jimanaz
2nd Place RICHARD FARNSWORTH LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3689

Icon 1 posted August 07, 2015 04:12 PM      Profile for jimanaz           Edit/Delete Post 
No experience what so ever. However, from one of the local club "experts", according to Rich, cold calling is a real crapshoot. Comparable to cold calling a lion. However, if you spot one, they most always will respond to pretty much any prey sound. Personally, I would prefer to know where a bear is coming from.
Posts: 940 | From: AZ | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted August 08, 2015 05:00 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Looking not too likely I'll be trying it this summer. But, I'd really like to next year.

Thinking that pure cold calling will not be too productive. Will hopefully have spotted one first or at least have some hot sign to setup on.

- DAA

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 08, 2015 05:53 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
One word: BERRY PATCH

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted August 08, 2015 06:04 AM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
In Arizona; it's two words, prickly pear groves in august/sept, and juniper berries in the winter.
Posts: 1627 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
4949shooter
SECOND PLACE HIGGINS (MAGNUM P.I.) LOOK A LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted August 09, 2015 06:58 AM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I've called in six black bear in one season while hunting coyote at night in PA.

They came in to Cal's cottontail, DSG cottontail, and another cottontail call from an Extreme Dimension caller I was using early on, and still have.

I say six bear, but one or two of these may have been repeats. Some definitely were not repeats though, as the bears acted differently.

One circled around behind me. I don't know why, but I assume it was up to no good. Eventually I made enough movement and racket that it left.

I have called in black bear at night in the fall and the winter, and have done so over a few different years. It always makes for an interesting walk out of the woods in the dark. Glad I have my Mossberg and a Glock 10mm as backup.

Posts: 2274 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted August 11, 2015 06:27 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Nick, your experiences kinda makes me glad there aren't any bears where I hunt in CNY!
Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
4949shooter
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted August 11, 2015 01:43 PM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
Fred, I am surprised there aren't any there!
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 11, 2015 06:20 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
^what he said

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

knockemdown
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted August 12, 2015 03:44 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds strange, but the Tug Hill Plateau region of central NY is conspicuously devoid of black bears. Head south toward the Allegheny region bordering PA, or east to the Catkill Mts, and the habitat is more conducive for bear. But they just haven't populated the rolling farm country where I hunt, as of yet...
That said, my farmer friend DID see a bear two Summers ago. Had to have been a transient, cuz someone woulda shot its azz if it stuck around for deer season!
Incidentally, that was the 1st year that black bear could be legally hunted in our WMU, so maybe they're moving in?

Same goes for bobcats. There just ain't no cats in that area. Which really irks me, as it looks like it'd be PRIME cat country! Seems like both cats & bears want to live nearer to more mountainous/rocky terrain. There just ain't enough of that out on farm country...

4949shooter
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted August 13, 2015 03:37 PM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
Tug Hill is way up there. It's almost 5 hours from me.
knockemdown
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted August 14, 2015 06:03 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Nick, looking at a map, I mis-represented the area. We're south of Tug Hill, squarely in the Finger Lakes region...
4949shooter
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted August 15, 2015 02:39 AM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh okay. We went through the Finger Lakes area taking our son to visit Rochester Institute of Technology a few years ago.

That is beautiful country up there. Looks great for waterfowl and deer in addition to coyote.

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters