The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Vocal's (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Author Topic: Vocal's
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted January 07, 2015 08:49 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Ok..........Question ??

When you guys refer to coyotes responding to vocals and coming in:
Are you getting coyotes into shotgun range or are they just showing themselves at rifle range ??

Does anybody even use vocals in brush on shotgun stands ??

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7580 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted January 07, 2015 09:37 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
All the time. I guess maybe some random examples would be some areas that I call locally, mostly in spring/summer, which are walnut, pecan or orange orchards bordered by cattle ranches in the foothills here. Although technically "open", I need a shotgun for safety reasons ( houses and shops nearby, maybe roads) and also, a shotgun will net me more critters when multiples are zig zagging thru the trees..either coming or going. Gotta shoot fast (hopefully not shooting any trees, but, it happens, famers dont like that). Sometimes calling them out of the trees, is not an option, you have to be in there amongst them, due to the lay of the land and property bounderies, so a shotgun is a great tool.

I use a lot of vocals in those situations, and treat it the same as any stand mostly. I have no problem calling them to shotgun range.

I also do a lot of calling up in the brushy foothills, and do a fair amount of howling etc. up there. Coyotes haul ass and literally jump out of heavy brush and scare the shit out of you, theyre so close.
So yes, its useful all the way around for me. Honestly, tight areas may even be better for vocals sometimes?

Mark

[ January 07, 2015, 09:46 AM: Message edited by: Lone Howl ]

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted January 07, 2015 09:59 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
So, I have resolved to make an honest effort to learn how to use vocals better. It really is my weak suit, just haven't ever put in the effort to learn.

Don't expect to become proficient immediately, figure it will take a couple of years, but, I'm going to make the effort.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted January 07, 2015 10:19 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
KoKo,
Yes, my brother just called me this morning and told me he went calling in some thick sage brush this morning and just used some Vocals and killed a female at 15 yards and the male at 40 yards both with the shotgun.

Good Hunting Chad

Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Fur_n_Dirt
So. Ariz. Zone Tech. Expert
Member # 4467

Icon 1 posted January 07, 2015 11:01 AM      Profile for Fur_n_Dirt   Email Fur_n_Dirt         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't use hand calls for howls much , but I do use prey sounds (mostly when the Foxpro batteries act up).. However, one guy once accused me of sounding like Donald Duck on a stand. He doesn't go out with me anymore.

--------------------
--- It's all simple if you know what you are doing ---

Posts: 437 | From: Tucson | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted January 07, 2015 03:05 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Much Thanx !!

Like DAA stated, this is an area that I need to work on.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7580 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted January 07, 2015 08:00 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Koko, I remember my 1st howled coyote like yesterday.

I used to keep notes and such for awhile. I dug around and found it. 6/11/2003. 6:23 AM

I howled three times off a mouth howler trying to sound as wimpy as possible ? waited a few minutes and started wailing on a Sceery jackrabbit call.

About 10 seconds ? Wham here comes a coyote over a small rise in front of me headed full blast !! my direction.

I mouth barked to try and stop him. Nope !! He stopped about 5 feet in front of me, we made eye contact for a split second, and he blasted back the direction he came from.

Now here's the good part (not) he swung to his and my right and slowed to a trot, providing a shooting gallery shot @ about 25-30 yards.

I forgot my scope was still @9 power from sighting in a few weeks previous. All I could get was fur in the scope & I was on quick adrenaline.

And, I blew it !!

[ January 07, 2015, 08:00 PM: Message edited by: Dave Allen ]

Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 08, 2015 08:02 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
EEK! GO TO YOUR ROOM!

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Fur_n_Dirt
Member # 4467

Icon 1 posted January 08, 2015 09:06 AM      Profile for Fur_n_Dirt   Email Fur_n_Dirt         Edit/Delete Post 
The worst is when u forgot to chamber a round! That's when u feel like a complete dum dum..

--------------------

Fur_n_Dirt
Member # 4467

Icon 1 posted January 08, 2015 09:11 AM      Profile for Fur_n_Dirt   Email Fur_n_Dirt         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, there's a couple of competitions on the 24 th here in desert land.. We'll be doing many stands and trying some stuff..

Like pup distress all day long! Just joking Kelly!

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 08, 2015 09:41 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I can safely say, I have yet to forget to chamber a round. I could be wrong, but that sounds like an AR thing? Every time I uncase a rifle and before I throw the strap over my shoulder, I visually check for a round before closing the bolt and engaging the safety.

The thing that gives me trouble, occasionally is the safety. There are times that, in haste, I gently press, then yank on the trigger, then release the safety, then take a low percentage shot. Not really, but it HAS happened, somewhere in the distant past. The reason is that I have changed my habit a couple times. For seasons at a time, I have sat on stand with the safety off, then changed to safety on. Don't ask why. But for quite a few years I have preferred safety on.

I am usually very calm, deliberate and disciplined on stand. It's those things outside your routine that cause problems. But, I have always been deliberate with guns.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Fur_n_Dirt
Member # 4467

Icon 1 posted January 08, 2015 11:01 AM      Profile for Fur_n_Dirt   Email Fur_n_Dirt         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, one of those times was with an AR!

I proudly took my 5 year old son to see his first successful coyote hunt, and luck would have it, one came in perfectly broad at 25 yards and just stood there .. I squeezed and it went click!

Damn magazine wasn't locked and didn't chamber a round ..

After that time, AR's don't agree with me on stands. At least this one..

--------------------

DanS
Scorched Earth (AZ Sector)
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted January 08, 2015 03:27 PM      Profile for DanS           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I forgot my scope was still @9 power from sighting in a few weeks previous. All I could get was fur in the scope & I was on quick adrenaline.
I thought when all you see is fur, your on them, pull the trigger. [Smile]

--------------------
futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis

Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni:
Often Tested, Always Faithful. Brothers Forever!

Posts: 1465 | From: flyover country | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted January 08, 2015 04:40 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
That's Right !!
Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Chris S
"SPECIAL ACCOUNT" HM's Facebook page moderator & runs with scissors
Member # 3888

Icon 1 posted January 08, 2015 06:45 PM      Profile for Chris S           Edit/Delete Post 
A lot of people say they brought them in with howls but then say they used distress on the same stand. So, which brought them in? It's one thing that's always puzzled me. Randy Anderson is one in particular that comes to mind when thinking of this scenario. I know jimanaz said he will use strictly howls to bring them in... But if you're using distress and howling, how can one be given credit over the other.

LB, using a sound sparingly would work if it only worked sparingly. If it's the sound that's working and the coyotes end up dead, who are you saving the sound for?

[ January 08, 2015, 06:46 PM: Message edited by: Chris S ]

Posts: 534 | From: Oakland County, MI USA Earth | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged
Fur_n_Dirt
Member # 4467

Icon 1 posted January 08, 2015 07:19 PM      Profile for Fur_n_Dirt   Email Fur_n_Dirt         Edit/Delete Post 
Chris,

Howl + prey = coyotes..

I did this last year several times with success.. I'm just guessing, but I think the howls brings them in near by AND the prey sucks them all the way to the sound source... I believe they get pissed when they think a strange coyote is eating their food in their territory..

[ January 08, 2015, 07:19 PM: Message edited by: Fur_n_Dirt ]

--------------------

Chris S
Member # 3888

Icon 1 posted January 08, 2015 07:33 PM      Profile for Chris S           Edit/Delete Post 
Howl + prey does equal coyotes. That's not in dispute. What is in dispute is ppl saying they howl them in when they're really using combination calling. That's all.
I like to think that the howling puts them at ease, and relaxes them enough to get them to come in and it's not making them aggressive and territorial; especially at those times of year when territories aren't a huge issue. A kinder, gentler howling. [Smile]

[ January 08, 2015, 07:46 PM: Message edited by: Chris S ]

Posts: 534 | From: Oakland County, MI USA Earth | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted January 08, 2015 08:15 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
A single, short"lone howl"(no pun intended) is sometimes all it takes to bring them right to you. Sometimes I'll toot out a couple high pitch howls, then a couple lower pitched howls and they come on a string,( who knows, maybe one howl would a worked?). All kinds of shit works sometimes, and most times I don't even know why. Consider time of year, location, weather etc. And make a semi educated guess on what sound to throw out there and go for it.
The best howling stand I ever had was the morning I let out 1 single high pitched lone howl and 12 to 14 yapping friken coyotes ran me over. 5 or 6 adults and a slew of pups. I was so dumbfounded I forgot to start shooting. I eventually did put a couple down, but I ran my gun dry twice.

Chris is right though, I think sometimes we all speak lazily and say " I howled em in" when in reality we used a couple different sounds on stand. In reality, the howling may have peaked curiosity or anger enough to pull them out in the open, but it may be the pup/rabbit distress that pulls them on in to killable range.

Mark

[ January 08, 2015, 08:23 PM: Message edited by: Lone Howl ]

--------------------

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted January 08, 2015 09:10 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
When I said that 80+% of my stands are Coyote Vocalizatons I meant just Coyote vocals no prey sounds at all. So yes I know they came in to Coyote Vocals.That's how I have mainly been calling the last five+ years. Before that for 20+ years I have used the howls/prey distress combo.

Good Hunting Chad

Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Knows what it's all about
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted January 08, 2015 09:27 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
Many times, I've had em come in to nothing but the howls. Howling works.

Some times prey distress works by itself and sometimes I think it takes both.

Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Chris S
Member # 3888

Icon 1 posted January 09, 2015 01:35 AM      Profile for Chris S           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to say I wasn't calling out any one single person in this thread with my statements. It's more of an overall observation of howling, how it's applied, what's being conveyed etc. This seemed like as good a place as any thread to bring it up.
I'm a huge proponent of howling and use them on nearly every stand. If I didn't think it helped, I'd have stopped using them long ago.

knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted January 09, 2015 07:44 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
A howl is a vocal, but not all vocals are howls...
Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Chris S
Member # 3888

Icon 1 posted January 09, 2015 07:50 AM      Profile for Chris S           Edit/Delete Post 
^^^ he's right ya know.
Lone Howl
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted January 09, 2015 07:53 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Word.

--------------------

Eddie
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4324

Icon 6 posted January 09, 2015 08:22 AM      Profile for Eddie   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Can't get nothing past you boys [Big Grin]
I went back and read all four pages of this, got one Question. If it gets them to come in who cares what's it called.
I've howled, used pup dist. prey dist. and even coon dist. to bring in coyotes, to me if it works then ride that horse till he goes plum down.
That's just a old Okie talking out loud forget it. I send it back to experts.

Posts: 275 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters