The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Vocal's (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Author Topic: Vocal's
Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted January 03, 2015 08:02 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey do you e-caller guys, play a vocalization sound continuously or let it play for awhile and mute ?

I know this sounds stupid. I finally started using a Fox-Pro today. Yeah, I'm really-really behind the times !!

I've howled in my fair share IMO. Sometimes mixed with distress sounds, sometimes on just a few or even several howls. (edit) hand calls-howlers.

I'd appreciate what ya'll have to say.

[ January 03, 2015, 08:12 PM: Message edited by: Dave Allen ]

Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Knows what it's all about
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted January 03, 2015 09:14 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
I've never heard a howl go on and on but I've been scolded over and over again for a good 10 minutes. I try to keep it real so it depends on the situation.
Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Moe
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4494

Icon 1 posted January 04, 2015 05:59 AM      Profile for Moe           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm no expert on vocals by any means but I have used vocals from time to time and have been successful.

I've played Male Challenge and Female Challenge on the Foxpro a time or two and then shut it off and wait. Sometimes it takes a while for a critter to show up.

Pup distress has been very good to me. I let it run continuously.

Lately I've gone back to using a mouth blown call rather than the ecaller. I have a few Carver calls and the open reed allows me to use some vocals. For a guy who cut his teeth on a Weems Wild Call with only one sound the open reed is amazing.

--------------------
I snatch kisses. And vice versa.

Posts: 593 | From: Oregon | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted January 04, 2015 06:36 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
I have had good results with a call named pup howls its two pups learning to howl sounds odd but brings em most times. Pup distress I run continuous all other vocals are from time to time during the stand.

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted January 04, 2015 07:52 AM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
I tend to go with the less is more approach with vocalizations.

Pup distress or whipped coyote type sounds get a little more play length, but not much over 20 seconds usually.

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted January 04, 2015 09:13 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Same here, I don't like to overdo things. I try to create a realistic scenerio if I can. My e caller buttons get a workout.
Mark

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
jimanaz
2nd Place RICHARD FARNSWORTH LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3689

Icon 1 posted January 04, 2015 09:59 AM      Profile for jimanaz           Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing is set in stone. I never use vocals continuously. Not saying it wouldn't work, in fact I'm sure it does in a few cases. It would drive me crazy though, sitting there with the same howl going for 10 minutes.

It won't be much longer and I'll start using a lot more vocals. Sometimes nothing but vocals on a stand. Like others, I try to create a scene that makes sense in my head. Sometimes a lone howl followed a few minutes later with some kind of pair sound, then go on from there. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. What makes sense to me doesn't always make sense to the coyotes.

Posts: 940 | From: AZ | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged
Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted January 04, 2015 10:57 AM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys,

You know I've been calling with two guys who had e-callers and they let distress run continuously and we called in coyotes. Which to me seemed odd @ the time. Thus made me wonder.

Letting pup distress just run makes sense in my mind.

Dave Allen
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted January 04, 2015 11:23 AM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
More thoughts. Moe I hear ya on the open reed calls.

I've had this new caller three years now, just sitting here. I haven't hunted much lately, kinda went thru coyote burnout.

lots of stuff going on and traveling in my spare time. Plus, I tend to be backwards in regards to technology, still don't have a cell phone..Lol

Anyway my thought process was to get the sound away from me. Been busted a few too many times by coyotes that snuck in and were staring @ me the source of the sounds. Ten yards to my side or whatever creating a difficult scenario.

I always thought pup distress would be a good one, and that I don't have the ability-skill to produce that type of sound on hand calls-howlers.

Guess we'll see..

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted January 04, 2015 12:11 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Gadzooks! Lots to comment on, just don't have the motivation right now? Maybe later?

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dave Allen
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted January 04, 2015 02:12 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Well go make some coffee when ya get time Leonard. I'm interested to hear your comments.

I try my part to make things interesting around here. [Wink]

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted January 04, 2015 02:21 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I know but I'm involved in some major culinary endeavors, for the balance of the day. No time for thought provocations.

But, go ahead and chime in, document and all, I'll get around to it.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Fur_n_Dirt
So. Ariz. Zone Tech. Expert
Member # 4467

Icon 1 posted January 04, 2015 06:36 PM      Profile for Fur_n_Dirt   Email Fur_n_Dirt         Edit/Delete Post 
What the hell, here's what I do for e-caller.

Type of stand: shotgun stand
Sound type: Let's talk about prey sounds for the time being
Distance: 20 yards from gunner

The strategy that seems to work best for me is a staggered LOUD sequence with no decoy.

First, I use a loud volume (36 of 40) or depending on recorded sound level. A loud projection insures that it reaches coyotes far away which seems to be pretty valuable. If using less volume, I feel you reach "fewer" coyotes. That's probably a fact.

However, I don't use LOUD and continuous in the same sentence for coyotes. I have found that much fewer coyotes come in this scenario. I like to project loud sound for 10 to 30 seconds and MUTE. The silence is important. I would only be guessing why I feel this is important, but my logs tell me this is much better.

Loud and mute and the average shot comes in at about 6 to 8 minutes.

Oh, if a coyote doesn't come in within 8 minutes; I know several things. He's either 1)held up , 2)ran off because your ass stinks, or 3) not in the area.. So, I switch sounds, and it works!

I always use a pup distress after shooting a coyote. I got a double the other day when using it, the second came in on a dime..

In terms of decoys for coyotes, seems its a 50/50. I've seen plenty lock into decoy, and I seen some take a look 100 yards away and run. Presentation is key, and I decided not to use them for coyotes.

I would be extremely interested in what the greybeards say about mixing vocals and prey sounds.

-

[ January 04, 2015, 07:20 PM: Message edited by: Fur_n_Dirt ]

--------------------
--- It's all simple if you know what you are doing ---

Posts: 437 | From: Tucson | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged
DanS
Scorched Earth (AZ Sector)
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted January 04, 2015 07:34 PM      Profile for DanS           Edit/Delete Post 
FnD,
I am curious, what is that wire tied to your shotgun barrel?

--------------------
futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis

Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni:
Often Tested, Always Faithful. Brothers Forever!

Posts: 1465 | From: flyover country | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted January 05, 2015 09:09 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, inquiring minds want to know.

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 05, 2015 09:43 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
While we wait, there is this to chew on: "mixing vocals and prey sounds."

If there be an expert out there, be sure and make your presence known to the Peanut Gallery.

Generally speaking, if using vocals, I start with vocals. After an indeterminate time, I may introduce a female invitation, or whatever you might want to call it?

But prey sounds have a place in my stand strategy. Few people mention time of day when deciding to go with vocals, exclusively. I prefer a group yip howl bright and early...because that's usually when I hear the real deal.

Otherwise, a pair howling or a young coyote or a female is employed after prime time. Prime time, AZ, (for me, at least) is: crack of dawn until 9:30/10:00. After that, it is decidedly warmer and the action tends to fall off. On those cold clear mornings, enjoy it as long as it lasts and, for me, prey sounds are in order.

For me, vocals are (for sure) a solution when nothing is happening. You can't poison the well, used judiciously. As I have opined before, while coyotes become educated to prey sounds, (quote: they have all heard "Lightning Jack") they always think there is a coyote, over yonder. Cross your fingers these PM assholes don't fuck up that for everybody.

Like I said before, I had a rancher claim his coyotes had never been called. What he meant was, nobody had sat under a bush with a rifle and made an attempt. After two days in which every coyote we saw was running away and it was obvious we were dealing with very educated coyotes, the man let slip.

He was in the habit of visiting his cows every day, feeding and caring and moving them between pastures. While so engaged, he would place his Foxpro on the hood of his truck for perhaps hours at a time, scaring close coyotes and eventually attracting curious animals from distant points of the compass. Day in, day out, there wasn't a coyote within miles that had not heard "Lightning Jack" many times.

The level of cluelessness was astounding, and I may never recover from the experience.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Fur_n_Dirt
Member # 4467

Icon 1 posted January 05, 2015 09:44 AM      Profile for Fur_n_Dirt   Email Fur_n_Dirt         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, that's my camera mount for the contour.. I get awesome video when a coyote runs up to the caller!

Yes, the camera survives just fine..

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 05, 2015 09:53 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
So, they are asking about the tie wraps? I have been looking for a "wire" all morning.

One other thing, you are using one extended choke tube top barrel, the lower barrel, a shorter one, or what? So confusing! So...Clever Gary, as it were.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Fur_n_Dirt
Member # 4467

Icon 1 posted January 05, 2015 11:25 AM      Profile for Fur_n_Dirt   Email Fur_n_Dirt         Edit/Delete Post 
Is that a little too redneck for you guys?

First, that's a combo gun. Baikal MP94. Top barrel 12 gauge with Carlson full choke. Patterns excellent.

Lower barrel is a .223" and is actually almost .5 MOA barrel.

The "wire" is actually plastic zip ties that gently hugs the barrel..

I tell you what guys, that's an awesome gun for thicker cover.. In shotgun stands, it works fabulous. I kill many more with that extra .223 barrel. Fuck carry two guns into the field.

[ January 05, 2015, 11:56 AM: Message edited by: Fur_n_Dirt ]

--------------------

R.Shaw
Peanut Butter Man, da da da da DAH!
Member # 73

Icon 1 posted January 05, 2015 11:54 AM      Profile for R.Shaw           Edit/Delete Post 
Fur...How does that scope work out when it comes time to shoot a fast moving coyote with the shotgun?
Posts: 545 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DanS
Scorched Earth (AZ Sector)
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted January 05, 2015 11:57 AM      Profile for DanS           Edit/Delete Post 
The electricians call them wire ties around here, I usually use their lingo to get them for free.

Kind of like some people call a water fountain a bubbler.

--------------------
futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis

Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni:
Often Tested, Always Faithful. Brothers Forever!

Posts: 1465 | From: flyover country | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 05, 2015 12:02 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Instinctive "pointing" come to mind? If I did that setup, I might choose a 1X6 or ?

edit: but I agree, big scope. Not to be critical, however because according to the member, it is working fine.

[ January 05, 2015, 12:09 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Fur_n_Dirt
Member # 4467

Icon 1 posted January 05, 2015 12:05 PM      Profile for Fur_n_Dirt   Email Fur_n_Dirt         Edit/Delete Post 
Mr. Shaw, it works better than expected. Its a Leupold 2x to 7x shotgun (or muzzleloader)scope, I leave it on 2X for shotgun stands. I really don't have issues getting fur into the scope..

One key is that I usually have a bi-pod , so a lot of times, they run into the scope..

This is my go to gun in thick AZ..

--------------------

Dave Allen
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted January 05, 2015 12:08 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard, your post about the rancher and his Fox Pro was very interesting.

About a month ago a guy I'll call a cattle-farmer was in @ the parts counter, talking about coyotes making him nervous.

He goes on to say he went and got himself one of those fancy $500 dollar Fox Pro's and still can't call in a coyote. One of the other guys was helping him and said go talk to me.

Anyway, I say well Bob how are you setting up your calling stands ? He says what do you mean ?

We'll turns out he sits the caller on the hood, leaves his diesel pickup running and sits in the cab, with his rifle poking out the window.

Now the ol' boy has bad knees and such. I really didn't know what to say as to not offend him.

I'm perplexed..

[ January 05, 2015, 12:10 PM: Message edited by: Dave Allen ]

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 05, 2015 12:27 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Dave, that's the exact same story I got from "Clem". Right down to leaving the Diesel running while he did his chores, all while expecting coyotes to run to him for a free meal. What's that definition of Insanity? Maybe he thought; "Golly must not be any coyotes around here?"

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters